Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Banking question

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2017, 10:23 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Banking question

Have a customer who's paid into my bank account ( at the bank ) and money has left his account ( he says) , but nothing showing on mine - this was end last week

I'm confused , I thought even with one digit out / possibly wrong name account holder , that its very unlikely gone into someone elses account
Old 16 February 2017, 11:42 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If his payment is not shown into your account even after a week, thst payment has either gone somewhere else, or was never made. Money from other than the same bank as yours can take 5-7 days to show up in your account. That's my understanding of it.

You may ask your bank what could of have happened. You may ask him to check if he sent money to the right account.

In future, one may try not to miss out or a mistake a digit or two while giving some important number to others. One digit mistake can make a whole lot of difference! To trouble shoot that, go easy with Stella.

Seriously, hope you get it sorted, Dunc.
Old 16 February 2017, 11:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

i gave instructions to his colleague at the same time/place , and miraculously she managed payment without a hitch

( via internet banking )
Old 16 February 2017, 01:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

If she made the payment last Friday, it has only been 4 working days gone past so far. Have a look again at your bank statement tomorrow morning i.e. on the 5th day, and if the payment still doesn't show up, ring up your bank and notify the payer of the issue. See what happens after that. As I said, if the customer makes a payment through his TSB account to your Barclays one, it could take up to 5-7 working days for the payment to clear/show up on your account.
Old 16 February 2017, 01:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yet via internet banking its instant ....!
Old 16 February 2017, 01:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
No, it's not. If you read the little writing on the web page, it will tell you. Mine does. You see, transfer from the payer might be done immediately, but it may take 5-7 working days to reach the receiver's account. That's what my bank states, anyway.
Old 16 February 2017, 01:51 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I must add that online can be immediate from any bank, but it's not guaranteed. That's what I'm saying. I do receive some instant online payments from different banks than mine.

What's sure-shot immediate is when you move money from your one bank account to another; from the same bank. I also see immediate payment received from some people with the same bank as mine. But when I have received payments from others from other banks, I take the wait for about a week for granted. I'll query the payer/talk to the bank only after a week, if the payment is still absent from my account.
Old 16 February 2017, 02:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Swati

he says coming round tomorrow with cash , and then sorting it out with his bank...

shall wait see what happens
Old 16 February 2017, 02:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Depends on the bank.
Old 16 February 2017, 03:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well I must been lucky , admittedly iv not even known which bank customers have been with, but iv finished a number of jobs and been paid there and then over phone banking app without any problems
Old 16 February 2017, 03:55 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've experienced this when trying to send money to someone before, my bank had blocked it as fraudulent transaction and didn't notify me... eventually got it sorted when I rang them to enquire
Old 17 February 2017, 12:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Legit bank transfers take just a few hours on weekdays except PO accounts which take days.

There is quite a clever Nigerian scam doing the rounds at present with an alleged Paypal link.

I would never act on someone saying they had transferred money from their account until I saw it in my account.

Much involved?

David
Old 17 February 2017, 01:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thanks , he came with cash this morning - its only couple hundred

he didn't really come up sensible answer , I got feeling he cant count / spent it on something else / didn't have enough in his account

thanks all
Old 17 February 2017, 01:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

how would you notice fake paypal ?
Old 17 February 2017, 01:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Thanks , he came with cash this morning - its only couple hundred

he didn't really come up sensible answer , I got feeling he cant count / spent it on something else / didn't have enough in his account

thanks all
It's not 'only', a couple of hundred is a couple of hundred! It takes hard work to earn that amount!

Well, it looks like your gut instincts about this customer and his helper who vouched for the immediate payment transfer were correct. Glad you got your money.

Originally Posted by dpb

One of the clues being their dodgy email address.

Internet fraudsters are taking the p7ss right now. Be careful, everyone.

I've had a very authentic looking email from an email account Opticavity yesterday; stating that my order number XXXXXXXX-XX will be dispatched shorty. There was a link to click to check the order details. Well, no. I'm not doing it. I never ordered anything with that order number. I checked out Opticavity, and found out that it certainly is someone dodgy, who has registered his/her domain etc. from Panama.

Same is with Amazon. Many fake emails saying 'Thank you for your order' keep coming now and again, even when I ordered sod all!

Careful, all.
Old 17 February 2017, 01:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb

This was part of the scam purporting to come from Paypal. This was after I had messaged Paypal asking them to cancel before I realised that it was not a genuine "Paypal" that I was messaging

Hello david@broquet.co.uk,

Transaction ID:
72W56358RF799193C

Thank you for contacting us regarding your pending transaction (
Transaction ID:
72W56358RF799193C)

We are sorry to inform you that this transaction cannot be reversed/cancelled and we cannot release the funds into your account until we have received the MoneyGram transfer details from you, according to the Terms and Conditions for this transaction- by all means you will need to complete the MoneyGram transfer for the sum of £200.00 GBP.

We have already deducted the total sum of £400.00 GBP from the buyer's account and the buyer does not have access to the funds at this stage of the transaction so your money is safe and secure with us, you do not have to worry because you are fully protected with PayPal, we are taking these security measures in order to protect both parties involved in this transaction from fraudulent activities and PayPal scam.

Kindly complete the MoneyGram transfer for the sum of £200.00 GBP and get back to us with the details of the transfer as soon as possible so that we can credit your account instantly.

Issues with this transaction ?Email our customer care/helpdesk department at : paypaIservice@mail2helpdesk.comand a representative will attend to you immediately.

Copyright © 1999-2017 PayPal. All rights reserved.
PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions Registered Office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

Old 17 February 2017, 03:48 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Normally with any scam email, if you hover your mouse over to link you are requested to 'click', on a different address is revealed in the bottom left corner of your browser. You can try it with David's post ; hover your mouse over the PayPal logo -- weirdly it reveals the genuine PayPal address of PayPal (USA)

Last edited by albob; 17 February 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 17 February 2017, 04:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
Normally with any scam email, if you hover your mouse over to link you are requested to 'click', on a different address is revealed in the bottom left corner of your browser. You can try it with David's post ; hover your mouse over the PayPal logo -- weirdly it reveals the genuine PayPal address of PayPal (USA)
I wouldn't hover the mouse on the link. What if it opens in the process, and crashes my device??

I'd hover the mouse on the logo, to check the scammer's bullsh7t email.
Old 19 February 2017, 02:15 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
100% hover over the link they want you to press, they use the proper links for other elements int he email for authenticity as they only want you to click the link in the email that links to them otherwise the scam would be uncovered easier - they also link for using the logos etc so they are current.

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I wouldn't hover the mouse on the link. What if it opens in the process, and crashes my device??

I'd hover the mouse on the logo, to check the scammer's bullsh7t email.
If you hover over without click it will not open they do not work like that its a user click action - so unless you click by mistake then you should be ok.
Old 19 February 2017, 03:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
100% hover over the link they want you to press, they use the proper links for other elements int he email for authenticity as they only want you to click the link in the email that links to them otherwise the scam would be uncovered easier - they also link for using the logos etc so they are current.

If you hover over without click it will not open they do not work like that its a user click action - so unless you click by mistake then you should be ok.
Well, let me tell you that the link in my Opticavity scam email opened up, meaning redirected me to wherever it intended to; simply by hovering over it. I had my email account open in a colleague's Apple computer, I showed the dodgy email to my colleague whose computer it was, he hovered over the link, and he got redirected to a dodgy site. On that blank site, the message was a oneliner: 'Try opening it on your Windows computer'. This colleague is not an idiot, this colleague works on computers, so he was certain that his iMac wasn't affected by any virus etc. at all, but warned me NOT to even hover over such links. Thing is, even if the dodgy links may only open if you click on them, why even hover over the link when you can know the dodgy source by hovering over the logo? No need, really.

But I get your point. Even their logos may not uncover the scam. Fair enough. Hover over the link, then. For me, I will be extra careful with that, too. I won't hover over the links.

I delete the garbage that enters my mailbox straight away, anyway. My spam and scam filters are pretty sound as well.

Last edited by Turbohot; 19 February 2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 22 February 2017, 09:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I delete the garbage that enters my mailbox straight away, anyway. My spam and scam filters are pretty sound as well.
Personally I think that is the best course of action anyway regardless of any of the other items.