Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Things bug you about selling.

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2016, 01:19 PM
hardcoreimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Things bug you about selling.

People buying stuff off you, you wait in for them to collect and they never show. With no contact or explanation.

Buyers messing you every 5 mins asking wheres there item the day after paying for it.
Old 02 December 2016, 02:30 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Totally agree. Have had similar issues with buyers. People asking for your address etc and then never show up. So to cover myself, I give the post code to my local petrol station. I dont have time to be giving every tom dick and harry my address. Its stupid.

Buyer who want next day delivery when they pay for an item at 5.30pm in the evening.

However sellers are equally bad on ebay. How much? make an offer? How much? make an offer. Damit just give a price, complete a sale and wooooppydoooo. Some people have too much time.
Old 02 December 2016, 03:17 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advertise a large, fragile and expensive item for sale, clearly listed as 'collection in person only'.

Buyer clicks 'buy it now' and pays in full.

A minute later, message received, "please post it to my house".

Old 02 December 2016, 03:36 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Buyers......

Advertised my kids first beds - 4ft long cot that transforms into a bed; I had the original receipts to show the age of the items including the mattresses, as opposed to cost. Total cost new was £240 each as it happens. I advertised them knowing some folks may not want to have a second hand mattress, priced them at £60 each or £100 for a deal on both emphasising that was the price for the beds only but the mattresses could be taken for free if it suited condition of the bed frames was as close to perfect as you were likely to find.

A well heeled couple rolled up in a newish Lexus RX SUV type thing, explaining that they wanted these for their house in the south of France when their grandchildren came to visit in summer. Having enquired by phone if there was something wrong with the beds to have them priced at £100 for both, they arrived up expecting to take the lot for £80.

Point being buyers who know they are getting a good deal, and want to pay less than a fair price.
Old 02 December 2016, 09:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

lol, at the experiences

some people can be utter tools

I try and only sell what I would skip anyway, in fact sometime just advertise of freecycle.org

but no shows are irritating - what is it with people these days, they seem so "flaky"

and I always buy the price agreed
Old 03 December 2016, 08:55 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought shaving cream on Amazon, paid £7 for delivery, item arrived with postage of £2.80. Contacted buyer and was ignored. Left feedback saying item was good but postage isn't correct and buyer ignored me.

Several emails demanding I remove the feedback as amazon set the postage. Called Amazon who confirmed they do no such thing. Feedback left seller told to **** off.
Old 03 December 2016, 09:06 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Bought shaving cream on Amazon, paid £7 for delivery, item arrived with postage of £2.80. Contacted buyer and was ignored. Left feedback saying item was good but postage isn't correct and buyer ignored me.

Several emails demanding I remove the feedback as amazon set the postage. Called Amazon who confirmed they do no such thing. Feedback left seller told to **** off.
You agreed to the price!!!!!!

You cant complain afterwards, you purchased it been happy with the deal and entered into a legally binding contract to that amount. The postage is what the seller charged you for postage and packaging etc. So it was absolutely correct as that is what you agreed to pay!

You cant then ask for money off!

Wtf is it with some people?
Old 03 December 2016, 09:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV

You cant complain afterwards, you purchased it been happy with the deal and entered into a legally binding contract to that amount. The postage is what the seller charged you for postage and packaging etc. So it was absolutely correct as that is what you agreed to pay!

I agreed to the price of the item and gave the seller my trust in providing the postage at cost.

This isn't an item that costed £10 including delivery the delivery charge was defined separately.

Some people don't like being ripped off.
Old 03 December 2016, 09:26 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You misunderstand.

The item was advertised with 7 quid for p&p.

But when Pimmo received it, he noticed ONLY £2.80 was paid by the seller for postage... Thus, in effect, netting the seller an underhand profit of £4.20...at the buyer's expense!

The practice is out of order. I've experienced it, too - it winds buyers up. With some justification.

The seller would have been better off advertising just the goods' price (but factoring in the postage cost)...and therefore 'free postage'. That way the buyer is not put in a position to be able to question it (this is the crux of your post).

- When I've sold something on eBay and had to guess the postage, I actively went out of my way to rebate the buyer the difference, when the postage turned out less than I advertised.

Although the buyer never questioned it, he was, nevertheless, grateful for my honesty.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 December 2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03 December 2016, 09:38 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I agreed to the price of the item and gave the seller my trust in providing the postage at cost.

This isn't an item that costed £10 including delivery the delivery charge was defined separately.

Some people don't like being ripped off.
You didnt agree to "postage at cost". You agreed to postage at £7.

Its not been ripped off. You agreed to the price. There is also packaging, and time in taking ot to the post office etc to take into account.
Old 03 December 2016, 09:41 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
You misunderstand.

But when Pimmo received it, he noticed ONLY £2.80 was paid by the seller for postage... Thus, in effect, netting the seller an underhand profit of £4.20...at the buyer's expense!

The practice is out of order. I've experienced it, too - it winds buyers up. With some justification.

The seller would have been better off advertising just the goods' price (but factoring in the postage cost)...and therefore 'free postage'. That way the buyer is not put in a position to be able to question it (this is the crux of your post).

- When I've sold something on eBay and had to guess the postage, I actively went out of my way to rebate the buyer the difference, when the postage turned out less than I advertised.

Although the buyer never questioned it, he was, nevertheless, grateful for my honesty.
The price is the price. You advertise it at £7, pimmo buys and pays, because he is happy to pay that amount. Then receieves the item and complains?

The seller advertised the cost of postage, buyer agreed to cost and paid for cost.

Done deal, suck it up. You cannot complain afterwards because you agreed to it!
Old 03 December 2016, 09:42 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

You misunderstand.

I do the same.
Old 03 December 2016, 09:42 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

The price is the price. You advertise it at £7, pimmo buys and pays, because he is happy to pay that amount. Then receieves the item and complains?

The seller advertised the cost of postage, buyer agreed to cost and paid for cost.

Done deal, suck it up. You cannot complain afterwards because you agreed to it!

The postage fee is meant to include all the packing time, etc. (unless otherwise explained by the seller in his description).

But the stamps only added up to 2.80, not 7.00.

How hard can it be not to see the 'underhand' practice (whether deliberate or not) going on here.

As said in my previous post, the buyer could have avoided the controversy by just factoring in the projected postage to the overall goods price and offering free postage. That way the buyer can not never know the postage and therefore none the wiser, etc.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 December 2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03 December 2016, 09:46 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

The postage fee is meant to include all the packing time, etc. (unless otherwise explained by the seller in his description).

How hard can it be not to see the 'underhand' practice (whether deliberate or not) going on here.
Had it been a £2 I'd have said ok, the cheap *** packaging (79p) and the effort of opening it and walking to the post office.

£4.20 though? get to ****
Old 03 December 2016, 09:48 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Buyer beware, caveat emptor.

Its not underhand at all, the cost of postage is given before you proceed with the transaction, there is no requirement for it to be "at cost" or anything else.

It is clearly advertised at the costs and when the buyer purchases that item and completes the payment then a contract is formed and the buyer has accepted the terms and conditions, INCLUDING the p+p.

So essentually he was charged 4.20 for packaging and time to post. Hardly un reasonable.

THE BUYER AGREED TO THE COST OF POSTAGE. REGARDLESS OF WHAT IT COST THE SELLER. THE COST WAS AGREED AT TIME OF PURCHASE. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY IT, DO NOT BUY IT.

It is not rocket science

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 03 December 2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03 December 2016, 09:58 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

"Unreasonable" is not the point. It's morally 'wrong'.

I agree, that lawfully, it wouldn't fly... I do understand that you have agreed to the overall cost and that's that. I get that. But it's still ****ed, nonetheless.

Ergo, do you not agree that the 'practice' is out of order?

Example:
If you bought something for, say, 50 quid all in (with the p&p portion of the cost ADVERTISED as, say, £20)...but it arrived with stamps/franking adding up to just £5, would you not be bloody annoyed at the seller? Not even just a little? If the answer is, "No, of course not!", then I suspect you're being disingenuous.

After all, the thread is about what ANNOYS you, not what is 'lawful' (or otherwise). So Pimmo's (and mine) annoyance is legitimately 'allowed' lol.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 December 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03 December 2016, 09:59 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

10 quid for a tub of shaving cream ....

stone age - you kind of deserve it

hate flaky types , bane my existence ( even more so if they've got a bob or two)
Old 03 December 2016, 11:11 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
10 quid for a tub of shaving cream ....

stone age - you kind of deserve it

hate flaky types , bane my existence ( even more so if they've got a bob or two)

Do you just make up posts and then reply to them? who paid £10 for shaving cream?
Old 03 December 2016, 12:00 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

My wife sells loads of stuff on Ebay and I have told her to work out postage costs at 45p per mile to the post office and back + the actual cost of the royal mail transaction.

I think that is what has likely been charged here, do consider that not everyone lives two minutes walk from a post office, they may even incur parking costs to park up and drop your item in the post. The seller should not have lied to cover his/her actions.
Old 03 December 2016, 12:10 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
My wife sells loads of stuff on Ebay and I have told her to work out postage costs at 45p per mile to the post office and back + the actual cost of the royal mail transaction.

I think that is what has likely been charged here, do consider that not everyone lives two minutes walk from a post office, they may even incur parking costs to park up and drop your item in the post. The seller should not have lied to cover his/her actions.
The seller shouldn't be out of pocket, but if there are expenses in selling a product that's part of the unit price or at least as you say deserves justification.

This chap was clearly telling me that he knew the postage was over priced and that Amazon had set it. So why not either reduce his item or offer the difference back.

Good customer service and trust goes a long way.
Old 03 December 2016, 12:11 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Example:
If you bought something for, say, 50 quid all in (with the p&p portion of the cost ADVERTISED as, say, £20)...but it arrived with stamps/franking adding up to just £5, would you not be bloody annoyed at the seller? Not even just a little? If the answer is, "No, of course not!", then I suspect you're being disingenuous.
[/QUOTE]

What the pair of you dont seem to get is, if it cost him more than 7 quid to post it, would you accept him coming back and saying you cant have it until you pay more postage?

No you wouldnt. You would explain that you had a deal and its not your problem and you want your item.

You win some and you lose some. And how anyone can expect a refund after agreeing a price is totally beyond sense....

It no different to me quoting 6k for a job that should take a week, busting my *** and doing it in 3 days. No way are you getting a refund for 2 days, the price is the price, take it or leave it, thats the buyers choice. You accept the price, you pay the price.
Old 03 December 2016, 12:19 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Bottom line: false advertising.

You're not ACTUALLY paying for what is ADVERTISED. Which is BOTH the goods PLUS the P&P, as STATED. Regardless of the 'total accepted'.

It's that what grates. It's a s'tnuc trick, quite frankly.

As said, the thread is about what bugs you. And that scenario certainly bugs me.

We obviously see it differently and will just have to agree to disagree, and put an end to our 'debate'.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 December 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03 December 2016, 12:32 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Anymore transaction-based gripes, anyone...?
Old 03 December 2016, 12:35 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Bottom line: false advertising.

You're not paying for what is advertised. Which is BOTH the goods PLUS the P&P, as STATED. Regardless of the 'total accepted'.

It's that what grates. It's a s'tnuc trick, quite frankly.

As said, the thread is about what bugs you. And that scenario certainly bugs me.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, and put an end to it.

Next transaction-based gripe, anyone...?
P+p was stated at £7. Buyer accepted terms and conditions and then got all butt hurt and threw his toys out of the pram.

My one is you advertise something and people offering you not even 40% of advertised price... yeah ofxourse im gonna knock 60% off!!
Old 03 December 2016, 12:39 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

P+p was stated at £7. Buyer accepted terms and conditions and then got all butt hurt and threw his toys out of the pram.

My one is you advertise something and people offering you not even 40% of advertised price... yeah ofxourse im gonna knock 60% off!!
But the seller only spent 2.80 on postage. Not the 7...as ADVERTISED.

False advertising. End of.

The 'subjective' feelings of your personal justification of the costs involved - however small, or otherwise - have nothing to do with it.

As already mentioned, let's just end this. We obviously see it differently and will keep going round and round in circles.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 December 2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03 December 2016, 01:12 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

But the seller only spent 2.80 on postage. Not the 7...as ADVERTISED.

False advertising. End of.

The 'subjective' feelings of your personal justification of the costs involved - however small, or otherwise - have nothing to do with it.

As already mentioned, let's just end this. We obviously see it differently and will keep going round and round in circles.
Its nothing to do with seeing it differently, it is your inability to differentiate between false advertising and agreeing a price. The 7 pound is for POSTAGE AND PACKAGING.

It is not false advertising at all! They advertised costs of 7quid for p+p. It is irrelevant what it cost them for postage!!!! Pimmo agreed and paid up. There is nothing false about it.

It obviously is a difficult concept around here. Pay your money take your choice...
Old 03 December 2016, 01:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Its nothing to do with seeing it differently, it is your inability to differentiate between false advertising and agreeing a price. The 7 pound is for POSTAGE AND PACKAGING.

It is not false advertising at all! They advertised costs of 7quid for p+p. It is irrelevant what it cost them for postage!!!! Pimmo agreed and paid up. There is nothing false about it.

It obviously is a difficult concept around here. Pay your money take your choice...
Lack of honesty round there
Old 03 December 2016, 01:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

JGlanzaV. It's about trust. Old dears trust the door to door salesmen who try to flog them a £1000 product for £4000. Caveat emptor? That's what the confidence tricksters always spout! What Joz and Pimmo are describing is unscrupulous and sharp practice and whilst it may be legal it's undoubtedly immoral (unless of course you're devoid of a moral compass). Remind me never to do business with you and your ilk.
Old 03 December 2016, 01:29 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

JGlanzaV...

But that £7 is the advertised cost of the postage to expect to see on the parcel - i.e. for postage AND PACKGING (PLUS getting it sent off). That is what is universally accepted as what that separate cost entails.

If not, then the seller must clearly explain his costings in the advert - so the buyer is in no doubt as to WHAT his payment is actually providing for.

Your argument is that the effort of the packaging and taking it to the post office (or whatever), is over and above the raw cost of the weight/dimensions of the package ALONE, and that the buyer should be 'grateful'/expect that, and any extra (non-advertised) costs incurred, as a result.

Wrong!

P&P means exactly that: the cost of postage AND packaging...AND being sent. If the seller advertised that cost too low and unwittingly ends up being out of pocket, that's his lookout.

But if it's the opposite scenario (as is the case here), then it's morally wrong that the buyer makes up the shortfall for the vendor's mistake.

Last edited by joz8968; 03 December 2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03 December 2016, 01:41 PM
asht88
Scooby Regular

do you even vape bro!!