Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tipping a removal company

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2016, 07:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tipping a removal company

I'm moving soon and will end up paying a removal company around £2k. Is it still customary to give a tip for the lads if they don't break too much?

As an aside I told company that I would get my solicitors to pay them on day of Completion but sniffy solicitor said they don't do this. I thought this was a bit off, what do you think?

David
Old 30 November 2016, 08:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Could give the lads a few quid

otherwise I have them in same bracket as storage >> house clearance >>knocker boys
Old 30 November 2016, 08:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Could give the lads a few quid

otherwise I have them in same bracket as storage >> house clearance >>knocker boys

Was thinking of getting a £50 note (are they still around?) and asking boss man to get the lads a drink. Anything less is a bit of an insult but I have to watch the pennies these days

d
Old 30 November 2016, 08:11 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

We had a couple of Polish lads who worked like Trojans, broke nothing and fitted square pegs in to round holes. How they managed to get one of our (very heavy) oak wardrobes in to the spare room will forever live on in my memory as a feat of extraordinary problem solving. Well worth a few quid each!
Old 30 November 2016, 09:15 PM
madman69
Scooby Regular

dont give the boss the tip the lads will never see it plus its the lads doing the graft
Old 30 November 2016, 09:47 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

£2k! we just moved our 3 bed for under £500............3 men in a luton van, I got stuck in a little and they didnt get a tip ;-)
Old 03 December 2016, 01:49 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How far are you moving for 2k? Ask JGlanzaV about the delivery charges
Old 04 December 2016, 07:10 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
How far are you moving for 2k? Ask JGlanzaV about the delivery charges
Never sell anything to Pimmo hes a stingy **** who will do anything to wriggle out of a deal....
Old 04 December 2016, 07:23 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Never sell anything to Pimmo hes a stingy **** who will do anything to wriggle out of a deal....
I have twice the iTrader score as you, so I win the internet.
Old 04 December 2016, 07:49 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I have twice the iTrader score as you, so I win the internet.
Meanwhile at Pimmos house while ordering stuff off amazon with expensive postage just so he can complain....

Old 04 December 2016, 09:20 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 04 December 2016, 10:20 AM
Recovery Ray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Meanwhile at Pimmos house while ordering stuff off amazon with expensive postage just so he can complain....

BLOODY HELL !!!!!!, that stuff he,s rubbing on his head worth a f***in fortune he,s got a full head of hair now!!!!.

No breakages or damage, drop (pun intended) them a few quid.
Old 04 December 2016, 09:50 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Ran a removal company for several years.

If you feel the lads have done a good job then £10 or £20 each goes down really well. You'll likely have 3-4 guys on the job so it won't break the bank.

Make sure you have lots of tea, coffee and biscuits on the go on the day. Yes it means the guys may stop a few times for a cuppa but they do appreciate it and more likely to go the extra mile for you during the move.

Apart from rare situations I can't remember ever being paid direct by a solicitor on completion, so I don't think your solicitor is being off with you.

Good luck with the move.

Ro.
Old 04 December 2016, 10:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Ran a removal company for several years.

If you feel the lads have done a good job then £10 or £20 each goes down really well. You'll likely have 3-4 guys on the job so it won't break the bank.

Make sure you have lots of tea, coffee and biscuits on the go on the day. Yes it means the guys may stop a few times for a cuppa but they do appreciate it and more likely to go the extra mile for you during the move.

Apart from rare situations I can't remember ever being paid direct by a solicitor on completion, so I don't think your solicitor is being off with you.

Good luck with the move.

Ro.

Thanks Ro - nice to have a sensible answer. I'm not going far so journey time short. Cost is slightly more than I had thought but is the second lowest of 5 quotes I received and I liked the guy that came round to estimate. I have a lot of kit to move from house, shed, workroom, office, garden and two attics so quite a bit of work. I suspect main man and 2 lads will be involved and I got out a shiny 50 but I'm not stupid and will only hand this over for a good job. My next move will be to my plot in my local cemetery and I have already paid for that

David
Old 04 December 2016, 11:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
We had a couple of Polish lads who worked like Trojans, broke nothing and fitted square pegs in to round holes. How they managed to get one of our (very heavy) oak wardrobes in to the spare room will forever live on in my memory as a feat of extraordinary problem solving. Well worth a few quid each!
you did well

in a couple of years time, post Brexit you would have had to make do with the chuckle brothers

to me, to you !!!!
Old 05 December 2016, 09:53 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
you did well

in a couple of years time, post Brexit you would have had to make do with the chuckle brothers

to me, to you !!!!
They were genuinely brilliant, Hodgy. They were recommended to me by our delivery depot head who uses them when we're short staffed. It was only a Luton's worth of gear and a fairly short journey, but they did it for £300! Remarkable value!

This is my 25 year-old umbrella plant being gently taken to the van. I don't think it lost so much as a leaf!
Old 05 December 2016, 11:17 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as they haven't broken anything or given you Missus''s ***** a good lick and sniff. Then a tenner each is about right.

We did give the last lot 20 each as we lived in a pokey flat and getting the white goods out was a feat and a half without managing to put holes in the communal walls.