Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2019, 03:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well No deal isnt liable to happen !
Old 01 April 2019, 03:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Ah Daily Mail readers aplenty today!
Old 01 April 2019, 04:18 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Ah Daily Mail readers aplenty today!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I don’t think what paper you read has anything to do with it personally
Old 01 April 2019, 04:47 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Seeing as migrants are net contributors to the UK, I'm not sure how you get to that, but even if we say we are a soft touch, is that the fault of the EU? UK policy is set by UK government, not the EU. The EU has not reduced our police spending, the UK has.
are these the migrants running round rochdale were talking about, thieving? or doctors and nurses who pay their way, two very different things
Old 01 April 2019, 04:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Not even if the stories therein are mostly salacious diatribe?
Old 01 April 2019, 10:00 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cuprajake
are these the migrants running round rochdale were talking about, thieving? or doctors and nurses who pay their way, two very different things
Well, of course there is an element of immigrants who will break the law, so what? Do you think it's as much as the indigenous population do? Where do you think most benefit scroungers come from? I'll give you a clue, it begins with U and ends in dom.

No matter what our two Daily Fail reading friends think, they are a net contributor, whether they like it or not. As for the 'thousands they have raped', that just bollocks. Yes, there has been rape, I'm not excusing it, I don't excuse crime by any demographic, but they really are just showing their racist colours by spouting crap like that.
Old 01 April 2019, 10:15 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Well, of course there is an element of immigrants who will break the law, so what? Do you think it's as much as the indigenous population do? Where do you think most benefit scroungers come from? I'll give you a clue, it begins with U and ends in dom.

No matter what our two Daily Fail reading friends think, they are a net contributor, whether they like it or not. As for the 'thousands they have raped', that just bollocks. Yes, there has been rape, I'm not excusing it, I don't excuse crime by any demographic, but they really are just showing their racist colours by spouting crap like that.
Who do you think you are calling me a racist I am of mixed race my father is Jamaican and my mother is English I also live in abroad what is multi cultural and I have a good relationship with all my neighbors calling me a racist is just slanderous and you have showed your true colours
Old 01 April 2019, 10:27 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Actually, it's libelous, but whatever.

So all the insults and accusations, the same old **** levelled at your father's generation of immigrants, you now throw the same unsubstantiated **** at immigrants. You really couldn't make it up. I don't know if you're telling the truth, but if you are, shame on you for generalising against people, if you're not telling the truth, then what can I say?
Old 01 April 2019, 10:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

So who's who and which is which
Old 02 April 2019, 01:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So Barnier says "No deal is looking likely. Theresa May's deal, no deal or a long delay"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47783127
Old 02 April 2019, 01:06 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

well im sure if you had a few thousand of the eu's finest be propped up in your town youd be super happy,

you have to understand what makes people vote the way they do,

if you live in a nice place with nice people your in

live in a **** hole your out
Old 02 April 2019, 01:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Still no answer then

no point it conflating stuff -

just end up looking daft
Old 02 April 2019, 01:23 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Yet the areas with the lowest immigration were the areas with the highest percentage of vote leave.

I'm not saying that immigration doesn't cause friction, but like most things, it's a balance. Also, the crap that was spouted earlier about rape, that particular assertion is directed at non EU immigrants, and that has nothing to do with us being in the EU! Expect more of 'those' immigrants if we leave.

I was talking with a colleague at lunch about the new hospital in Whitehaven, which remains unopened as they cannot get the staff for it. I wonder where we could find a huge supply of staff............
Old 02 April 2019, 01:27 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

The only reason parliament hasn't agreed on an alternative is because the conservatives are whipping to vote against all other options.

If the conservatives let their MPs have a free vote, they would have easily found a solution which was acceptable to parliament.

Ken Clark's option was only 3 votes short yesterday, a lot closer to getting through than the May-Bots deal!

Labours common-market 2.0 was also very close and got the support of Lib-Dems too.

The only reason we are in stale mate is because the Conservatives refuse to compromise. Although after yesterdays vote there is one less of them.

Its time the Conservatives accepted they are in a minority government and the only way to get things done is to compromise!
Old 02 April 2019, 01:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

One the biggest proponents of brexit in here came from Epsom ffs

Last edited by dpb; 02 April 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02 April 2019, 02:16 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

well im sure if you had a few thousand of the eu's finest be propped up in your town youd be super happy,

you have to understand what makes people vote the way they do,

if you live in a nice place with nice people your in

live in a **** hole your out
This is something I don't understand. I live in a part of Bristol with a visibly very diverse population with a high level of immigrants, many from the EU and many from just about everywhere else in the world, yet my ward voted 82% remain. Just to remind you, none of these immigrants were able to vote in the referendum. Maybe the bottom line is the fact that Bristol is more prosperous than Rochdale.
I really don't blame people who voted leave, having spoken in great length to people in former industrial towns which have never recovered from the devastation of dying industries. They've been forgotten and marginalised, declared surplus to requirements, and are an inconvenience to those who run the show. No wonder they can't see any benefit in being in the EU. However, it is UK government policy for the last 40 years that is to blame, not the EU, and what saddens me is that I don't believe anything will get better for these people.
Old 02 April 2019, 02:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

He's almost certainly refering to refugees

Weve allready established there's fewer eu in Rochdale than lots of other places.

Government agencies ( private landlords) wont shell out cash to house these poor sods to live in Mafair or Epsom ....

Last edited by dpb; 02 April 2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02 April 2019, 02:44 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

^ ok thank you for telling me what im thinking, im so much more clearer now you've told me....

can you link me to where you get the figures please it would be an interesting read.

btw rochdale have a labour Councillor who voted for himself twice, and didn't realise it was against the rules ffs we have no hope, theres a massive divide in rochdale.
Old 02 April 2019, 02:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

We've had to Guess what you're thinking ....!

What / which figures are you looking for ?
Old 02 April 2019, 02:55 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
This is something I don't understand. I live in a part of Bristol with a visibly very diverse population with a high level of immigrants, many from the EU and many from just about everywhere else in the world, yet my ward voted 82% remain. Just to remind you, none of these immigrants were able to vote in the referendum. Maybe the bottom line is the fact that Bristol is more prosperous than Rochdale.
I really don't blame people who voted leave, having spoken in great length to people in former industrial towns which have never recovered from the devastation of dying industries. They've been forgotten and marginalised, declared surplus to requirements, and are an inconvenience to those who run the show. No wonder they can't see any benefit in being in the EU. However, it is UK government policy for the last 40 years that is to blame, not the EU, and what saddens me is that I don't believe anything will get better for these people.
And don't forget the supreme irony that some of the big vote leave parts of the country receive the most EU funding! So not only have they been failed by the UK through years of apathy and under investment, they have voted away the only income stream that made things remotely bearable.

Wales has demanded that the UK govt ensures that the same level of money the EU pumped in is given to them by the UK govt if we leave. The turkeys really have voted for Xmas!

Of course, when it all goes wrong, it will still be the fault of the EU for not giving us our cake and allowing us to eat it.
Old 02 April 2019, 03:16 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

the figures that show the population breakdown of rochdale .

id also like to see the funding given back to the uk in comparison to what we give to the eu.

sadly or ironically theres too much politics involved and we will never know truely how the money or our money is spent, i do know most of the big goverment agencys seem to be failing, and theres way too many jobs that dont need to be part of these.

a rochdale counciler is on 1/4 mil a year doing to big time jobs. which he got 'voted' into his name escapes me.
Old 02 April 2019, 03:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

http://localstats.co.uk/census-demog...-west/rochdale
Old 02 April 2019, 03:34 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Well, we paid £18.9billion, before rebate, in 2018, and we also get funds paid in to public and private sectors from the EU, through various initiatives and direct applications for funding, so what we actually pay is around £9billion.

That sounds like a lot of money, but in a more than £1trillion pound economy, it really isn't very much, and the benefit to the economy of having frictionless trade, whilst difficult to quantify, is most likely well in excess of that nett figure.

Factor in the likely reduction in our economy due to any sort of Brexit, from a smallish amount with a close, soft Brexit, right up to shock of a hard Brexit, and the £9billion (or indeed the £18.9 billion) is immediately wiped out, negating any perceived financial gain from leaving. So, I'm afraid, Rochdale isn't likely to get better anytime soon, so matter what you voted! Maybe Mike Harding could so some gigs to raise money........
Old 02 April 2019, 03:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

There's bent councillors worldwide. Get local newspaper on board
Old 02 April 2019, 03:54 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

that census is nearly 10yr old bud, long time...
Old 02 April 2019, 03:54 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

the figures that show the population breakdown of rochdale .

id also like to see the funding given back to the uk in comparison to what we give to the eu.

sadly or ironically theres too much politics involved and we will never know truely how the money or our money is spent, i do know most of the big goverment agencys seem to be failing, and theres way too many jobs that dont need to be part of these.

a rochdale counciler is on 1/4 mil a year doing to big time jobs. which he got 'voted' into his name escapes me.
Wales voted out by a large margin.

Wales as the lowest EM/Immigration in the UK but some of the highest EU funding in the whole EU. But it does have one of the oldest EM communities in the UK in Cardiff Bay but it is small. Whilst they can use the decline of heavy industry or blame Maggie you need to ask what have the Welsh Assembly done in the intervening 40 years to support them?

Got loads of EU funds

Sadly in Wales if you put a red rose on a donkey it will get the Labour vote.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 02 April 2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02 April 2019, 04:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yes a census is evey ten years !

one things for sure - the number Eu will have shrunk big time in the last year
Old 02 April 2019, 04:14 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

that census is nearly 10yr old bud, long time...
The latest figures I can find are for 2015, and the population increased by 2266, so even if they were all immigrants, the percentage didn't go up by much, so are you saying that Rochdale has, in the last three and a bit years, suddenly become a hot bed of immigrants? Seems a tad unlikely. Isn't it more likely that your perception is that it is?
Old 02 April 2019, 06:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well done Mrs May
Old 02 April 2019, 10:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This is what 6million clicks gets you https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Any comments?

Remember this if you ever bother to vote in a forthcoming election

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 April 2019 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.