Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2018, 01:08 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
They will continue pretty much as they do now. Goods will be checked away from the border. The Irish will do nothing to jeopardize the free movement of goods across the UK to Europe, which isnt that great considering the UK is Ireland's biggest market
It's not just an Irish border, it's an EU border, so it's not Ireland' s call. Where and how will goods be checked? At present, as we are in a customs union, there are no checks at all.
Old 26 December 2018, 03:33 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Irish Pm has said if UK keep standards same as EU there will be no border, a tectonic shift from there must be a backstop forever. If the UK leaves with no deal there wont be a hard border
Old 26 December 2018, 03:55 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Irish Pm has said if UK keep standards same as EU there will be no border, a tectonic shift from there must be a backstop forever. If the UK leaves with no deal there wont be a hard border
If the UK leaves with no deal, we'll have no standards at all. As someone who was involved in international road transport, both as an owner-driver and a transport manager, both pre and post customs union, I'm afraid I don't share your optimism.
Old 26 December 2018, 04:58 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
If the UK leaves with no deal, we'll have no standards at all. As someone who was involved in international road transport, both as an owner-driver and a transport manager, both pre and post customs union, I'm afraid I don't share your optimism.
Off course we will have standards, the UK was instrumental in setting up and all the UKs standards meet EU regulations. If the UK run parallel standards, which they are most likely to do, the the Irish/EU wont install a border. With time the UK mightcwant to diverge, but only if it sees greater benefits/opportunity from aligning elsewhere or setting their own higher standards
Old 26 December 2018, 07:23 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Off course we will have standards, the UK was instrumental in setting up and all the UKs standards meet EU regulations. If the UK run parallel standards, which they are most likely to do, the the Irish/EU wont install a border. With time the UK mightcwant to diverge, but only if it sees greater benefits/opportunity from aligning elsewhere or setting their own higher standards
So you mean all those EU regulations we actually ok after all?
You maybe missed the news or perhaps choose to ignore it, but the Irish government has allocated new land for border checks. While they have no plans of building a Trump style wall, in the event of a no deal Brexit, the border will definitely not be open for goods transportation and there will be mandatory checks.
​​​​​​ Much of the Irish trade is only technically with the UK as it poses through the UK and on to mainland Europe, so the real figures are not so clear. Ireland has also made plans to extend ports in the South of the country with new ferry routes directly to France to bypass the UK.
Old 26 December 2018, 07:25 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Old 27 December 2018, 03:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
So you mean all those EU regulations we actually ok after all?
You maybe missed the news or perhaps choose to ignore it, but the Irish government has allocated new land for border checks. While they have no plans of building a Trump style wall, in the event of a no deal Brexit, the border will definitely not be open for goods transportation and there will be mandatory checks.
​​​​​​ Much of the Irish trade is only technically with the UK as it poses through the UK and on to mainland Europe, so the real figures are not so clear. Ireland has also made plans to extend ports in the South of the country with new ferry routes directly to France to bypass the UK.
Muahahahahahahahahahahaha..
Like they can afford that.
Old 27 December 2018, 04:11 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

The remainers try to dismiss it, but for them it was pitched as a once in a lifetime decision, no going back, in our out.

The UK voted out.

Whats that saying, 'Suck it up'

Remainers lost and should accept it so. But as we can see many are trying to thwart the process and stop the UK leaving, There lays the problem
Yet you continually ignore the fact that now it is clearer what leaving actually means, the polls would suggest (and yes, they have been wrong before, but not usually by such wide margins) there really is a favourable majority now that wish to remain. You talk about remainers trying to push a minority agenda, but you are doing exactly the same now.
Old 27 December 2018, 04:15 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

... Rewmainers lost and should accept it so. But as we can see many are trying to thwart the process and stop the UK leaving...
True.
But I for one will never accept it.
I will be doing everything I can to reverse the most stupid, senseless, self-harming decision this country’s ever made.
Old 27 December 2018, 04:37 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Yet you continually ignore the fact that now it is clearer what leaving actually means, the polls would suggest (and yes, they have been wrong before, but not usually by such wide margins) there really is a favourable majority now that wish to remain. You talk about remainers trying to push a minority agenda, but you are doing exactly the same now.
That boat has sailed back in 2016. Yes it's clear we should of immediately gone to WTO, this would of given business a clear unambiguous direction to plan.

Old 27 December 2018, 04:41 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam

True.
But I for one will never accept it.
I will be doing everything I can to reverse the most stupid, senseless, self-harming decision this country’s ever made.
Sorry to burst your balloon. There is absolutely nothing you can do to change what happens next in the next few months. If you can't accept it, it's going to be a depressing life you will endure.
Old 27 December 2018, 05:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to burst your balloon. There is absolutely nothing you can do to change what happens next in the next few months. If you can't accept it, it's going to be a depressing life you will endure.
yep
Old 27 December 2018, 11:15 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If you actually paid money for that crystal ball you're using (as opposed to getting it free in an Xmas cracker), I'd make sure you've kept the receipt.

Old 28 December 2018, 12:05 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to burst your balloon too...

There's absolutely nothing you can do either.
Old 28 December 2018, 08:39 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
sorry to burst your balloon too...

There's absolutely nothing you can do either.
Im not bleating about it, plus if it doesn't go the way I wish for, Australia is waiting
Old 29 December 2018, 10:39 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

That boat has sailed back in 2016. Yes it's clear we should of immediately gone to WTO, this would of given business a clear unambiguous direction to plan.
Yes immediately drop off a cliff with no planning whatsoever, I'm sure the shock to the UK economy would only have taken decades to recover
Old 30 December 2018, 08:48 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

The whole 2 years since the referendum could of been planning to put everything in place to adopt WTO for March 2019.

No 'Cliff edge'( panic, emotional, irrational, project fear phrase) would of happened. A smooth swap to a different system.
Old 30 December 2018, 09:49 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

The whole 2 years since the referendum could of been planning to put everything in place to adopt WTO for March 2019.

No 'Cliff edge'( panic, emotional, irrational, project fear phrase) would of happened. A smooth swap to a different system.
utopia does not exist.
Old 30 December 2018, 10:39 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

They could have spent some time planning before having the vote in the first place, then you would have known what sort of brexit we were voting for and the politicians could have spent the last two years planning for that instead of arguing with each other about what brexit actually means!
Old 02 January 2019, 10:20 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Why plan for something that is going to hurt the economy when simply not doing it is a much better option? Also, just because you think WTO is good (not sure why, but there you go), lots of others who voted Leave do not.

And once again we come to the crux of the problem, that Leave means so many different things to different people, there is no Brexit that is suitable.
Old 02 January 2019, 12:36 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Why plan for something that is going to hurt the economy when simply not doing it is a much better option? Also, just because you think WTO is good (not sure why, but there you go), lots of others who voted Leave do not.

And once again we come to the crux of the problem, that Leave means so many different things to different people, there is no Brexit that is suitable.
Its not WTO, I would like to have a wonderful deal. The problem is I know that a clean break is the best option, offering freedom from the EU systems.
We see May has tried to stiff the electorate with a deal that potentially offers nothing and could lock the UK with no control and no route to leaving said deal .

WTO is the only way to honour the referendum and make a clean break from the EU . By planning over several years, would of been almost painless in transition.
Old 02 January 2019, 03:04 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Its not WTO, I would like to have a wonderful deal. The problem is I know that a clean break is the best option, offering freedom from the EU systems.
We see May has tried to stiff the electorate with a deal that potentially offers nothing and could lock the UK with no control and no route to leaving said deal .

WTO is the only way to honour the referendum and make a clean break from the EU . By planning over several years, would of been almost painless in transition.
Seeing as UK govt would have had a maximum of 2 years to do any planning once they triggered Article 50, can we take it as read that you would have advocated they wait far longer than they actually did, before doing that? In fact, would you care to tell us exactly how long after the referendum result you would have been prepared to wait, before they triggered it?
Old 02 January 2019, 03:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Seeing as UK govt would have had a maximum of 2 years to do any planning once they triggered Article 50, can we take it as read that you would have advocated they wait far longer than they actually did, before doing that? In fact, would you care to tell us exactly how long after the referendum result you would have been prepared to wait, before they triggered it?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Neither Cameron nor May has been actively planning a WTO option seriously until very recently. Now its here.
Old 02 January 2019, 03:15 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Neither Cameron nor May has been actively planning a WTO option seriously until very recently. Now its here.
In other words, you know as well as I do that your theory that "WTO would have worked out fine if it was planned properly" simply doesn't stack up in the real world, so you've completely avoided answering the question. No real surprise there, it's been the modus operandi of Brexiters since as long as the EU has been in existence - all criticism, but no solutions.
Old 02 January 2019, 04:10 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

That's because WTO is so bad for the UK they likely haven't bothered. Despite what they say, I doubt they are now, WTO rules is something that no one (except you ) wants.

It will be May's deal or another referendum. If Joe Public then votes for no deal, well, I suppose they will have to start then!
Old 08 January 2019, 01:13 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46789601

How stupid are these Brexiteers? Can you get any more dumb and hypocritical than a bunch of Right wing protesters calling one of the most centrist Conservative MPs and ****? Do they not know what **** means? How can someone who wants to remain in the EU be called a Nationalist, above all by a Nationalist that wants to leave the EU?
Old 08 January 2019, 02:36 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46789601

How stupid are these Brexiteers? Can you get any more dumb and hypocritical than a bunch of Right wing protesters calling one of the most centrist Conservative MPs and ****? Do they not know what **** means? How can someone who wants to remain in the EU be called a Nationalist, above all by a Nationalist that wants to leave the EU?
TBH I'm not surprised; they are showing the same lack of knowledge they voted with. Just like the yellow vests blocking an Ambulance on Westminster bridge this is an own goal.
Old 08 January 2019, 10:30 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Some personal good Brexit related news for me - I am now officially British (and I still retain my EU passport too) :-)

Had it not been for Brexit, I probably wouldn't have bothered, given that I've spent close to 2000 on the process, but actually I'm pretty happy to be officially British now. I finally get to vote for parliament, and I don't run the risk of getting chucked out of the country for being a foreigner by some future government.
Old 09 January 2019, 07:47 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Some personal good Brexit related news for me - I am now officially British (and I still retain my EU passport too) :-)

Had it not been for Brexit, I probably wouldn't have bothered, given that I've spent close to 2000 on the process, but actually I'm pretty happy to be officially British now. I finally get to vote for parliament, and I don't run the risk of getting chucked out of the country for being a foreigner by some future government.
Congratulations 👍

Btw. did you happen to see the price for an Australian passport? 😄

Last edited by andy97; 09 January 2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09 January 2019, 07:58 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks!

I've just googled Australian citizenship costs - bloody hell

Quick Reply: So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.