Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2018, 01:03 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
This is what I've been saying all along and definitely not what the Brexiteers were looking for!

Economic migration is driven by economic demand. If they are not coming from the EU, then they have to come from somewhere else in order to meet economic demand for workforce that cannot be filled by the local population. Given we always had control of non-EU migration, and non-EU migrants were still arriving because the economic demand for workers was higher than the EU could supply, it was always clear that any fall in EU numbers would be met with an increase in non-EU numbers, often from cultures and religions that are somewhat more incompatible with our own compared to the largely similar EU migrants.

Non-Economic migration is a different factor, primarily driven by people fleeing war or oppressive regimes, however the number of refugees and asylum seekers is relative low compared to the economic migrants (just over 26K asylum seekers last year).

The simple fact is, even with full control of immigration, the government is unlikely to reduce figures without damaging the economy. Its a balance between a desire to restrict immigration and supporting the free market economy and any Conservative government will always favour the free market economy! If you really want to limit immigration, then Corbyns Labour will probably be more effective!

Another interesting point this week is the two reports released yesterday from the Government and the Bank of England which pretty much independently came to the same conclusions. Any form of exiting the EU is worse than remaining in the EU and the harder the exit the higher the price! So now we can be sure that No Deal is in fact worse than a Bad Deal! Who'd have thought?
I think if you accept the fact that we're leaving, then you're left with a stark choice between the deal on offer and a no deal.
I think the deal on offer is in the long run very bad for this country. It effectively traps us as some sort of zombie state shackled to the EU, unable to leave and enable to move forwards. It's pretty clear that the EU are going to use the 'back stop' as leverage in any future negotiations.
Therefore some sort of managed no deal, as painful as it may be in the short term, it probably better in the long run.
The irony of all of this will be that it's the remainers that will make this work, the Brexiters will disappear back under their rocks as soon as things get tough.

Last edited by Martin2005; 30 November 2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 30 November 2018, 04:42 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ledsom and now Fox behind May deal
Old 30 November 2018, 09:53 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I think if you accept the fact that we're leaving, then you're left with a stark choice between the deal on offer and a no deal.
I think the deal on offer is in the long run very bad for this country. It effectively traps us as some sort of zombie state shackled to the EU, unable to leave and enable to move forwards. It's pretty clear that the EU are going to use the 'back stop' as leverage in any future negotiations.
Therefore some sort of managed no deal, as painful as it may be in the short term, it probably better in the long run.
The irony of all of this will be that it's the remainers that will make this work, the Brexiters will disappear back under their rocks as soon as things get tough.
In fairness, Theresa May has got about as good a deal as possible that includes leaving the customs union and is certainly a lot better than no deal! If stopping freedom of movement is a red line, then this deal is the best we could hope for while avoiding a cliff edge. As a remainer, taking a Norway deal would be the more sensible option that does the least damage to the country while still technically leaving the EU, but if I have to accept giving up freedom of movement and the customs union, then this is the best deal possible even though its fundamentally a bad deal!
Old 30 November 2018, 10:17 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
if I have to accept giving up freedom of movement and the customs union, then this is the best deal possible even though its fundamentally a bad deal!
You live in Germany you are not giving up anything. Unless they decide to kick you out which I seriously doubt will happen.
Ok you might need to get a work permit or a visa but big deal, just become a German and have duel citizenship.

Old 30 November 2018, 10:44 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wurzel
You live in Germany you are not giving up anything. Unless they decide to kick you out which I seriously doubt will happen.
Ok you might need to get a work permit or a visa but big deal, just become a German and have duel citizenship.
Yes, its ok for me and will take German citizenship, but its not clear if we'll be able to keep dual nationality in Germany once the UK has left the EU.

The point is less for people like us who are working and have been here long enough for citizenship, but more for retired people who may not be able to afford the healthcare after Brexit, particularly with the weak pound which their pensions are paid in, or may not be granted a visa if they don't meet the requirements of the country they live in. Also the young people who may not be able to live, study and work abroad with the ease that we had when we arrived!
Old 30 November 2018, 01:56 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeiG...J_YuEap3X52KH8
Old 30 November 2018, 02:36 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Crikey, I hadn't thought about the Smurfs argument, he's got a good point there

The slogan "Clinging to Power" couldn't me more true today!
Old 01 December 2018, 01:42 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Worth a watch.

Old 01 December 2018, 01:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Nope. More left wing/liberal tripe.
Old 01 December 2018, 02:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Youll need to scour the Red tops for encouragement on rising wages following brexit ...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...estion-time-UK
Old 01 December 2018, 02:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Meanwhile,in the real world
https://www.channel4.com/news/eu-net...ls-amid-brexit
Old 01 December 2018, 04:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yay! TWO bits of good news then? And folk said Brexit was a mistake??????????
Old 01 December 2018, 04:39 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Prior to 2016 if I said Jacob Rees Mog would be your hero you'd have laughed in my face. And as for immigration from the EU, yes it's down, replaced by immigration from outside of the EU... where the muslims come from
Old 01 December 2018, 05:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Where is the good news?

Unless it's being nicer ( one would hope) to rest of the world, in desperate hope they'll come here to work

We're more than likely going to crash out or have another referendum / government anyway !

Last edited by dpb; 01 December 2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02 December 2018, 12:53 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yay! TWO bits of good news then? And folk said Brexit was a mistake??????????
It's only good news if you're clinically deranged.

My business is now faced with a huge fall off in applications from the EU. The result being that we can't find the right people or fulfil all our clients work.

We are now in a expensive game of trying to entice our competitors employees faster than they entice ours. Great news if you're in demand, bloody terrible if you're trying to build a business.

Old 02 December 2018, 08:53 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The government is falling apart that much proving leaving Europe isn’t a sensible option. The only people who think the country isn’t falling apart are constantly using phrases like “ project fear”. The country really is falling apart, prices for food and fuel have rocketed since the vote due to poor currency and if the pound drops further due to a no deal things will just get even more expensive.

Europeans are obviously not coming to the UK for work now as £ to € makes it not worth their grief. Wether people agree with it or not there is going to be another referendum or a general election and the winning party will have to leave without a deal.

which would you rather have?
Old 03 December 2018, 08:05 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sensible people will take the 2nd referendum. Racists, closet racists and simple dumb ***** will take the no deal option.
Old 03 December 2018, 08:55 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

"Just leave"
Old 03 December 2018, 09:35 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Which would be more dignified

Pulling out or falling out
Old 03 December 2018, 10:58 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

I am really happy the value of the pound is dropping (long may it continue), it has been too high for too long, people are losing far to much money in exchange rates whenever they have anything to do with the UK.
Old 03 December 2018, 11:29 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yeah thatll plug our £27bn trade deficit with China , lol
Old 03 December 2018, 11:50 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
Yeah thatll plug our £27bn trade deficit with China , lol
Maybe if everyone in the UK wasn't so greedy and everything so expensive you wouldn't have so many issues. Why is it practically everything I buy in mainland Europe is cheaper than in the UK?

It seesm the answer to everything in the UK is put the price up or add more tax to it.

You have the worst and most expensive rail service in the civilised world yet in January the prices go up again by 3.1%
Old 03 December 2018, 12:31 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

This is fun, not sure if anyone has taken the time to watch all the "explained in a minute..." media. It's all gash.
Old 03 December 2018, 01:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
The government is falling apart that much proving leaving Europe isn’t a sensible option. The only people who think the country isn’t falling apart are constantly using phrases like “ project fear”. The country really is falling apart, prices for food and fuel have rocketed since the vote due to poor currency and if the pound drops further due to a no deal things will just get even more expensive.

Europeans are obviously not coming to the UK for work now as £ to € makes it not worth their grief. Wether people agree with it or not there is going to be another referendum or a general election and the winning party will have to leave without a deal.

which would you rather have?

I’m not so sure about you blaming living costs on the UK exchange rate is wholly justifyable, Steve. I drove through France on Friday and diesel there hovers around €1.50 upto €1.60 which at today’s exchange rate is on par with UK diesel. Not to forget, as widely reported the French are also suffering cost of living hardship.

Spain has also become alot more expensive, diesel has gone up (albeit cheaper than France at approx €1.21, having rocketed up from €1 a litre ). Food and shopping costs a lot more without much reasoning to why, apart from most of Spain’s supermarkets are French (as well as German Aldi/Lidl), so I believe there are wider forces at play here that is affecting living costs across various European countries, not just the UK. The grass at the moment certainly is not any greener.

The UK government being in a mess is almost a given expectation considering the quality of the MPs that are supposed to represent us. We’ve had worse, but I doubt we’ll get any better ones in the next few decades.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 December 2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Pound and Euro symbols missing :wonder:
Old 03 December 2018, 01:35 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll be honest there is still some proper condescending horse sh!te being written on here.

Still the same old "Brexiteers are thick racists" crap being spouted.

So project fear is just in a Brexiteers imagination right? Just look at the news outlets last week when no deal became a real possibility. Economic disaster looming, food shortages, house prices dropping by 30%, GDP dropping by 11% over the next 15 years, at a greater risk of security threats.
The list continues to be added to on a daily basis blah blah.
They tried all this bo11ocks before the vote too. GDP would fall blah blah, it rose. Admittedly because of the weaker £ but my point there is they completely miscalculated it by almost 5%.

The only thing that's made Brexit the mess that it's become is the Remainers not accepting the vote and not getting behind it.

I also tend to agree with what's already been written. The negotiations have been deliberately cocked up so that another "peoples vote" is the only real possibility. The initial vote gets overturned and remainers will then spout the whole process has been democratic.

Democracy my ****!
Old 03 December 2018, 01:50 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dazdavies
I'll be honest there is still some proper condescending horse sh!te being written on here.

Still the same old "Brexiteers are thick racists" crap being spouted.

So project fear is just in a Brexiteers imagination right? Just look at the news outlets last week when no deal became a real possibility. Economic disaster looming, food shortages, house prices dropping by 30%, GDP dropping by 11% over the next 15 years, at a greater risk of security threats.
The list continues to be added to on a daily basis blah blah.
They tried all this bo11ocks before the vote too. GDP would fall blah blah, it rose. Admittedly because of the weaker £ but my point there is they completely miscalculated it by almost 5%.

The only thing that's made Brexit the mess that it's become is the Remainers not accepting the vote and not getting behind it.

I also tend to agree with what's already been written. The negotiations have been deliberately cocked up so that another "peoples vote" is the only real possibility. The initial vote gets overturned and remainers will then spout the whole process has been democratic.

Democracy my ****!
You seem to be giving Theresa May far more credit for her ability to be fiendishly calculating than a lot of people probably would. What do you know about her that we don't?
Old 03 December 2018, 02:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

If you happen to be a full on brexiter,things couldnt possibly be going better as far as i can see ?!

project fear lol

all the while glossing over the irish border issue ( not even a mention)

Last edited by dpb; 03 December 2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03 December 2018, 02:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ations-ilo-pay

Still , we can look fwd to massive wage growth when got shot those migrants

just like in Japan !
Old 03 December 2018, 02:30 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Some stuff

Some other tin foil hat stuff...
Lolzzzz yup, that's the ONLY reason we are in this mess

Old 03 December 2018, 02:32 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ations-ilo-pay

Still , we can look fwd to massive wage growth when got shot those migrants

just like in Japan !
Clearly because we are not all mucking in together, where is your Blitz sprite...oh, hold on

Quick Reply: So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.