Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2018, 02:18 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
Yes I wish for a fantastic deal with the EU, but if it doesn't happen, then UK has to prepare best it can with a no deal.

The decision to leave has been made and isn't going to change.
But now it's quite clear what a disaster no deal will be, you're still willing to accept it? Forget yourself for a minute, I'll be ok too whatever, but it will not be good for many people!
Old 27 September 2018, 02:38 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes, i/we have to accept the decision. It might be a bloody nightmare or not. Yes I am a leave voter, and in comparison to a remain voter probably more accepting of difficult times.

I wished for a good outcome, but it became apparent that both UK and EU can't agree.

I like you, make big decisions in life and proceed. The decision has been made, you live and adjust.
Old 27 September 2018, 03:01 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I like you, make big decisions in life and proceed. The decision has been made, you live and adjust.
So if you make a stupid decision, you can never change your mind!
Thats like if you delete a file, you wouldn't recover it from the trash or a backup.
If you make a wrong turn when driving you don't turn round and go back, you just continue driving aimlessly in the wrong direction.
If you accidentally transfer your life savings to a Nigerian prince, you just let him keep the money and don't call your bank or inform the police!
A woman should remain in a violent marriage because she made that big decision and now has to live with it, even though he was really nice before!

You'd cut your nose off to spite your face! What a great principle to run a country by!
Old 27 September 2018, 03:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Yes, it was never clear cut. I don't think you will find anyone that feels the EU was 100% perfect and doesn't have serious issues that need resolving. I feel exactly that as a remainer personally, but on the whole I still feel strongly it was in our interest and best future for the country to remain in the EU, even with it's issues.

As a remain voter, I'm on the same wavelength; Highly Eurosceptic in the same way as I am with UK politicians that handle our own affairs.

Unfortunately rationality has gone down the toilet on both sides. Just look at this thread and for example Hodgy's replies to myself (https://www.scoobynet.com/1042695-so...l#post12025256 -still awaiting an explantion to both myself and Wurzel), without any provocation on my end we get labelled a 'Brexidiots' for saying something seen as anti-EU...despite voting remain. The assumptious nature displayed by a vocal minority on both sides (Alcazar on the other), is reflective of what's seen in the media (both traditional and social) where it totally undermines any agenda; We are worse off because of these people causing stagnation and stalemates in any attempt to negotiate or compromise.
Old 27 September 2018, 03:47 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
So if you make a stupid decision, you can never change your mind!
Thats like if you delete a file, you wouldn't recover it from the trash or a backup.
If you make a wrong turn when driving you don't turn round and go back, you just continue driving aimlessly in the wrong direction.
If you accidentally transfer your life savings to a Nigerian prince, you just let him keep the money and don't call your bank or inform the police!
A woman should remain in a violent marriage because she made that big decision and now has to live with it, even though he was really nice before!

You'd cut your nose off to spite your face! What a great principle to run a country by!
Your analogies are simplistic apart from the last on,. where you've twisted the outcome. If a woman leaves her violent partner, she doesn't know what type of life is in front of her. Possibly poorer initially, but afterwards she refinds her confidence and makes a great life away from previous partner.

Thats how I see leaving the EU, leaving one partnership and looking forward to new opportunities. Just like going for a new job, it may pay less or more but the chances of promotion are greater in the long run, IF you work hard for it.

Who is to say its stupid decision, you or I don't really know. There is obviously a period of adjustment. The opportunities there after are for companies and individuals to grasp. I know first hand the opportunities are out there as by my companies huge leap in orders and interest from around the world.
Old 27 September 2018, 03:49 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Your analogies are simplistic apart from the last on,. where you've twisted the outcome. If a woman leaves her violent partner, she doesn't know what type of life is in front of her. Possibly poorer initially, but afterwards she refinds her confidence and makes a great life away from previous partner.
Unless her new partner is a serial killer.

Then she's fcuked.
Old 27 September 2018, 04:01 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Unless her new partner is a serial killer.

Then she's fcuked.
At least she'll die happy having had a sample from all over the world
Old 28 September 2018, 02:44 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Thats how I see leaving the EU, leaving one partnership and looking forward to new opportunities. ...

… The opportunities there after are for companies and individuals to grasp. I know first hand the opportunities are out there as by my companies huge leap in orders and interest from around the world.
You may not have noticed but "your companies huge leap in orders" has happen while we are still in the EU. This has been pointed out to you before.

So please remind me again:-
What are these new opportunities?
Who are they with?
How much are they worth?
How long do you anticipate that your expected "period of adjustment" will last?
How much will this "adjustment" cost?
Who will it cost?
When will we see payback or break even on the cost of this adjustment?

I'd be grateful, as time is now pressing and we don't have long, if you could be specific.
Thanks.

Old 28 September 2018, 03:53 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
You may not have noticed but "your companies huge leap in orders" has happen while we are still in the EU. This has been pointed out to you before.

So please remind me again:-
What are these new opportunities?
Who are they with?
How much are they worth?
How long do you anticipate that your expected "period of adjustment" will last?
How much will this "adjustment" cost?
Who will it cost?
When will we see payback or break even on the cost of this adjustment?

I'd be grateful, as time is now pressing and we don't have long, if you could be specific.
Thanks.

Biggest opportunity is from the USA,. plant coming into production in Europe is mainly a logistical position. Cheaper to produce locally and cut down transport costs
USA plant will once in full production will provide far more with greater profits
Old 28 September 2018, 09:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Once we are free from the EU Trump won’t have the time of day for a small county as we are. If you think we won’t be hit with big increases in duties to the USA you are really deluded.
Old 30 September 2018, 08:09 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B

As a remain voter, I'm on the same wavelength; Highly Eurosceptic in the same way as I am with UK politicians that handle our own affairs.

Unfortunately rationality has gone down the toilet on both sides. Just look at this thread and for example Hodgy's replies to myself (https://www.scoobynet.com/1042695-so...l#post12025256 -still awaiting an explantion to both myself and Wurzel), without any provocation on my end we get labelled a 'Brexidiots' for saying something seen as anti-EU...despite voting remain. The assumptious nature displayed by a vocal minority on both sides (Alcazar on the other), is reflective of what's seen in the media (both traditional and social) where it totally undermines any agenda; We are worse off because of these people causing stagnation and stalemates in any attempt to negotiate or compromise.
oh please give up your virtue signalling nonsense
Old 30 September 2018, 08:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

You know what?

You make me embarrased to have voted remain.
Old 02 October 2018, 06:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this right or wrong , cant quite grasp it

Nobody immigrant worker ( from anywhere) will be allowed to work into the UK , unless theyre making 30k

??
Old 03 October 2018, 02:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like the usual lazy jounalism/trouble making.

The truth is that we are about to eenter an era where if anyone wants to come, they better have the skills to do a job that wants doing, and no-one already here wants.

If not, don't come as there will be no handouts.

Which jusy seems like sense to me?
Old 03 October 2018, 02:22 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

The truth is that we are about to eenter an era where if anyone wants to come, they better have the skills to do a job that wants doing, and no-one already here wants.

Agreed. Which is how America entry has successfully worked for many years.
Old 03 October 2018, 03:53 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

But what about all the unskilled jobs immigrants currently do, and have done for centuries? We simply don't have enough people to do those, seeing as we have the highest rate of employment ever.
Old 03 October 2018, 04:12 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
But what about all the unskilled jobs immigrants currently do, and have done for centuries? We simply don't have enough people to do those, seeing as we have the highest rate of employment ever.
We do have people in this country to do these jobs, but thankfully our out of work benefits system is so good in this country they earn more money sitting at home not working.
Old 03 October 2018, 05:11 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

We do have people in this country to do these jobs, but thankfully our out of work benefits system is so good in this country they earn more money sitting at home not working.

Hopefully, this is all going to change after March 2019. No more handouts, get off your **** and work, no benefits when there are jobs to be done.
Old 03 October 2018, 05:26 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Hopefully, this is all going to change after March 2019. No more handouts, get off your **** and work, no benefits when there are jobs to be done.
You would certainly hope so, but can't see that changing myself without some kind of revolution or civil war! I come from a background of hard working family and I have and always will have a job to bring in money to our house and family. Sadly there are a massive percentage who don't think the same way and working just doesn't even feature in their list of things to do. They can get by fine and have enough money to live without needing a job. We live in strange times.
Old 03 October 2018, 05:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Presumably what is actually being " handed out " , is jobs locals don't want to do / earning less than 30k

can't wait to see how all this is going to pan out

predict they'll be a thousand get out clauses to allow certain workers in certain fields
Old 03 October 2018, 08:37 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you getting this from?

Yet again a conflation of issues, most of which have nothing to do with Brexit
Old 04 October 2018, 09:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Do you actually read any posts before diving in?

Three questions for would-be immigrants:

IS THERE A JOB YOU CAN DO, AVAILABLE TO YOU?
HAVE YOU THE SKILLS FOR THAT JOB?
Is there no-one already in the UK who wants that job?

If they can answer all three with "Yes", they will STILL BE WELCOME.

Which part didn't you understand?

Old 04 October 2018, 09:15 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Do you actually read any posts before diving in?

Three questions for would-be immigrants:

IS THERE A JOB YOU CAN DO, AVAILABLE TO YOU?
HAVE YOU THE SKILLS FOR THAT JOB?
Is there no-one already in the UK who wants that job?

If they can answer all three with "Yes", they will STILL BE WELCOME.

Which part didn't you understand?
Technically..... the answer to question 3 should be no.

Sorry.
Old 04 October 2018, 09:51 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

How do you force people into working in care or hospitality
Old 04 October 2018, 11:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

What's so wrong with chlorine washed chicken?...the US acknowledges its full of bacteria at source so it addresses it? Chlorine is the best disinfectant you can get (apart from when it's done wrong...like most swimming pools...if it has that swimming bath smell the chlorine levels have been allowed to get TOO LOW! ).

Meanwhile in the UK we (Defra) stick our head in the sand (as they do with bovine TB), do you really think our unwashed chicken is cleaner? No it's not...E-coli comes via sh*t, all slaughtered animals in the UK are covered in it, even our salad.

And whilst you moan, today, you can buy Chicken in the UK sourced from China!

This was purchased in the UK...

Yeah, I did eat it. But I eat anything

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 October 2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05 October 2018, 03:04 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Are you cooking it?

Should get rid your ecoli
Old 05 October 2018, 06:30 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

What's so wrong with chlorine washed chicken?...the US acknowledges its full of bacteria at source so it addresses it? Chlorine is the best disinfectant you can get (apart from when it's done wrong...like most swimming pools...if it has that swimming bath smell the chlorine levels have been allowed to get TOO LOW! ).

Meanwhile in the UK we (Defra) stick our head in the sand (as they do with bovine TB), do you really think our unwashed chicken is cleaner? No it's not...E-coli comes via sh*t, all slaughtered animals in the UK are covered in it, even our salad.

And whilst you moan, today, you can buy Chicken in the UK sourced from China!

This was purchased in the UK...

Yeah, I did eat it. But I eat anything

I agree regarding food production,sanitation ,its a headline grabber by project fear.

The use by date of 2017 a little worrying, was it in deep freeze?
Old 05 October 2018, 07:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I agree regarding food production,sanitation ,its a headline grabber by project fear.

The use by date of 2017 a little worrying, was it in deep freeze?
I ate it last year LOL: Pre-frozen breaded crispy chicken fillet goujon things, quite tasty actually. I just still have the pic on my FB when I posted about its surprising origins. But incidentally has come in handy to serve as good example that you can buy this in the UK today and TBH God knows what the sanitary conditions are like at its origin. Yet the media and those picking off from its sound bites are all aghast that we may import chicken from the US...all whilst chicken from China is on our shelves!

Points being:
a) we already import chicken of questionable origins
b) our own chicken as well of other meats is far from sanitory, certainly not to point we can take a holier than thou attitude... We should be chlorine-washing our own chicken!

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 October 2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05 October 2018, 07:57 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

What's to stop more and more cheap chicken from far flung places Inc US entering market after brexit
Old 05 October 2018, 01:42 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I ate it last year LOL: Pre-frozen breaded crispy chicken fillet goujon things, quite tasty actually. I just still have the pic on my FB when I posted about its surprising origins. But incidentally has come in handy to serve as good example that you can buy this in the UK today and TBH God knows what the sanitary conditions are like at its origin. Yet the media and those picking off from its sound bites are all aghast that we may import chicken from the US...all whilst chicken from China is on our shelves!

Points being:
a) we already import chicken of questionable origins
b) our own chicken as well of other meats is far from sanitory, certainly not to point we can take a holier than thou attitude... We should be chlorine-washing our own chicken!

Chlorine washed chickens aren't banned because the chemical wash is harmfull, but because the washisng is an easy solution to general unhygenic practices.

Have a read of this to explain why its banned in the EU
http://theconversation.com/chlorine-...n-the-eu-81921

As for other counties importing chicken, as long as it isn't infected with anything and they haven't tried to cover up the infections by chlorine washing, then theres no problem. If people were getting ill from imported Chinese chicken, we'd soon hear about it. As they are not, then it would appear the chicken from China (at least from the supplier used by that product), are perfectly safe.

To be honest, if you look at US food safety regs, its not really hard to accept that chicken from China is safer than from the US!

Quick Reply: So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.