Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2018, 07:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a parallel here with french fishing fleet Coming over ere with their nets and catching baby fish before theyve ahd time to mature ???

re selfish shellfish uk idiots
Old 29 August 2018, 07:29 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Is there a parallel here with french fishing fleet Coming over ere with their nets and catching baby fish before theyve ahd time to mature ???

I heard it was related to the exorbitant costs of UK hotels
Old 30 August 2018, 02:06 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

https://goo.gl/images/Fnclnn
Old 30 August 2018, 08:26 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb

That story about the scallops made me laugh (in an ironic way). If it was the French fishing in British waters, they would be screaming about the EU fishing quotas. But someone complaining about the Brits fishing in other EU countries waters - how dare they! Its our God given right don't you know!

Still, everything will be good next year when there will be no more scallops but we can over-fish the cod to our hearts content! Looks like we'll have a great new export market for all that extra cod to Africa, because they've got so much money to spend, and in return they're going to teach us to dance!
Old 30 August 2018, 08:51 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
I heard it was related to the exorbitant costs of UK hotels

All those foreign johnnies stealing a view of the white cliffs of Blackpool
Old 30 August 2018, 09:14 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
All those foreign johnnies stealing a view of the white cliffs of Blackpool

Panasonic moving Europe HQ to Amsterdam:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45351288

Not a massive amount of jobs, but from small acorns grow mighty oaks! I fear this is the start of a mass exodus of companies from the UK who can wait for this incompetent government to sort out what Brexit actually means other than Brexit. Companies need to mitigate their risks and can no longer delay their worst case plans.
Old 30 August 2018, 09:18 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Here we go........ Panasonic moves out of UK ahead of Brexit
Old 30 August 2018, 01:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
They are only here as a tax dodge...what net income to the UK does its UK headquarters contribute?

....They only employ 30 people FFS

Quite surprised they aren't in Jersey, Liechtenstein or the Caymens, but I guess the Japanese government has blacklisted those kind of tax havens
Old 30 August 2018, 02:51 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Another doom and gloom non stories from remainers. They are coming nearly hourly now

Old 30 August 2018, 02:52 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

They are only here as a tax dodge...what net income to the UK does its UK headquarters contribute?

Indeed, but the point is that companies are starting to move out, and if we get no deal, you will see actual manufacturing and jobs moving out too.

Old 30 August 2018, 04:02 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Quite surprised they aren't in Jersey, Liechtenstein or the Caymens, but I guess the Japanese government has blacklisted those kind of tax havens
Hmmm only 30 people, I know the Panasonic building off Twin Bridges in Brackenell and it was huge.

Old 30 August 2018, 04:14 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Hmmm only 30 people, I know the Panasonic building off Twin Bridges in Brackenell and it was huge.
Its quite common for big companies to build a huge office block as their HQ that they can then plaster with their logos, then use one floor for themselves (with 30odd employees) and rent the rest of the office space out. It then looks like they have a huge presence and the office space rental covers the whole cost of the HQ operation in that country!

The big loss to the UK from Panasonic moving their EU HQ from the UK is not the loss of the 20 jobs which are moving, but the loss of the entire tax revenue on their EU profits which are currently declared via the UK HQ. As the BBC article states, Japanese tax laws mean they can't use tax havens to hide their profits, so they have to use an EU country that has a substantive corporate tax rate (i.e. not Luxembourg) or pay taxes in Japan. The EU profits will now be taxed in Holland and that amounts to a significant loss to the UK Exchequer!
Old 30 August 2018, 07:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Its quite common for big companies to build a huge office block as their HQ that they can then plaster with their logos, then use one floor for themselves (with 30odd employees) and rent the rest of the office space out. It then looks like they have a huge presence and the office space rental covers the whole cost of the HQ operation in that country!

The big loss to the UK from Panasonic moving their EU HQ from the UK is not the loss of the 20 jobs which are moving, but the loss of the entire tax revenue on their EU profits which are currently declared via the UK HQ. As the BBC article states, Japanese tax laws mean they can't use tax havens to hide their profits, so they have to use an EU country that has a substantive corporate tax rate (i.e. not Luxembourg) or pay taxes in Japan. The EU profits will now be taxed in Holland and that amounts to a significant loss to the UK Exchequer!
The big question is exactly how much tax has Panasonic paid?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...pdf&download=0

£881,000 if I read that right ...it was £18 million the year before

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 August 2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04 September 2018, 11:10 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

please don't confuse these idiots with facts

meanwhile a real benefit of Brexit is the plan to install hundreds of portaloo's on the M20 - with the expectation of 20 mile queues

Old 04 September 2018, 11:57 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

In the brexiters mind,I presume,we'll be trading much less with Europe, so any potential problem this ilk will disappear in time
Old 04 September 2018, 01:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
please don't confuse these idiots with these facts

Is this reply aimed at me or Wurzel?
Old 04 September 2018, 03:15 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Is this reply aimed at me or Wurzel?
Why am I the idiot? all I said was I know this building.
Old 04 September 2018, 06:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

and if we get no deal, you will see actual manufacturing and jobs moving out too.
Or so you hope.
Old 04 September 2018, 06:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Last edited by alcazar; 04 September 2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04 September 2018, 06:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Why am I the idiot? all I said was I know this building.

Because he was quoting BMWheres?'s post which was quoting yours.

It could all be in error.
Old 04 September 2018, 09:51 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
So how many millions of people will die because of Brexit?

Our is that just a completely meaningless slogan designed to rally the people who are two stupid to think for themselves and realise how utterly deluded it is to compare surviving two wars to the economic suicide of Brexit?
Old 05 September 2018, 07:44 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

So how many millions of people will die because of Brexit?

Our is that just a completely meaningless slogan designed to rally the people who are two stupid to think for themselves and realise how utterly deluded it is to compare surviving two wars to the economic suicide of Brexit?

There won't be a suicide, which by the word means death, no more etc. The UK will continue to trade with European countries, just in a different way.

The usual exaggerated phrases, cliff edge, crash, suicide from remainers
Old 05 September 2018, 07:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Trade less, in other words

And more with countries further away- thus increasing global warming / air pollution
Old 05 September 2018, 08:14 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Or so you hope.
No, I do't hope for that, but it is a distinct possibility.
Old 05 September 2018, 09:15 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Trade less, in other words

And more with countries further away- thus increasing global warming / air pollution
Who says it will less, trade, it could be lots more trade, you or I don't know what the long term future will be
Old 05 September 2018, 10:33 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Assuming we don't get a free trade deal (and let's be honest, the EU have the upper hand here), then more trade will mean more expense for UK business and consumers (admittedly somewhat offset by the increased trade, possibly). If we get less trade, then we have to increase trade with the rest of the world to maintain our economy, which brings us back todpb's point.

Old 05 September 2018, 11:30 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Any sign of the 27 splitting ?

https://www.politico.eu/article/sorr...-brexit-trade/
Old 05 September 2018, 12:43 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Assuming we don't get a free trade deal (and let's be honest, the EU have the upper hand here), then more trade will mean more expense for UK business and consumers (admittedly somewhat offset by the increased trade, possibly). If we get less trade, then we have to increase trade with the rest of the world to maintain our economy, which brings us back todpb's point.
That the word. The UK could go with all-sorts of trade arrangements from opting to have zero tariffs to high tariffs. What the UK must have is the unfettered freedom to choose the best option once out of the EU, no ties in, restrictions which will hinder the UK's direction
Old 05 September 2018, 01:09 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
That the word. The UK could go with all-sorts of trade arrangements from opting to have zero tariffs to high tariffs. What the UK must have is the unfettered freedom to choose the best option once out of the EU, no ties in, restrictions which will hinder the UK's direction

Mmmm, I don't think the UK is in a position to say no tariffs! Well, we could say to the EU "we won't charge you" but do you think for a moment they won't charge us? It's a typical brexiteer attitude to think we "must have is the unfettered freedom to choose the best option", as trade is a two way street. That is also true of non EU deals we make. We are the UK of 2019, not the UK of 1850, we simply don't have that clout.

Two years down the line, there is no indication that countries are queuing up to give us, well, any deal, never mind some superb deal, so we will have the delightful position of having to wait and see for a few years what comes out of the woodwork.

That's on top of the cost of extricating us from all the EU institutions we are now part of, setting up ones to replace them, changing all soft and hard infrastructure, it goes on and on. And for what? The possibility that it might be better some years down the line.

All to satisfy the xenophobia of elements of the UK population and to 'regain control', whatever that means
Old 05 September 2018, 01:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

They cant do without us

Any other refrain is unpatriotic or worse !

Quick Reply: So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.