Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.

Old 08 August 2018, 04:11 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
This is an oft repeated and highly misleading thing. The Germans won't be switching it off, it will just cost more! Admittedly to them as well as us, but Germany is committed to the EU dream, they won't let that stand in their way.
And the fact that exports are up to non-EU countries?
Old 08 August 2018, 04:13 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
What! You mean we can increase our exports to non-EU countries without having left the EU?
Well, blow me! I had no idea that that was possible.
Apparently since the announcement of BREXIT, yes they have.
Old 08 August 2018, 05:32 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
And the fact that exports are up to non-EU countries?
The pound has decreased by 13% against the Euro and decreased 8% against the USD since the referendum......are u telling me exports to non-EU countries have increased as the pound decreased????? well blow me away!!!
Old 08 August 2018, 05:54 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Oh look Remoaners calling Brexiteers thick racists that don't have the acumen to understand Brexit.

Ironic considering the fact that all the resistance to it is what's putting the UK in a weaker position with it all.

Imagine what we'd achieve if people just accepted the result, and just got on with implementing it.

Instead we have a bunch of cry babies who will stop at nothing to get the result they wanted.

Can you imagine the uproar there would be if the boot were on the other foot and remain won the vote and the leavers kicked up this much fuss??

All this scare monger BS is laughable. I heard the best one yet yesterday.

The Police commission saying if it was a no deal the public would be at risk! What a load of scaremongering horse **** that is.

If you think there's going to be a no deal backlash wait until you see what happens if Brexit gets watered down the way I think its going to be.

I think we'll see the biggest uprising since the poll tax riots.

Old 08 August 2018, 06:42 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue it not moving the food, it's the fact that UK food relies on a system where everything is delivered just in time. The army won't have anything to move. Have a read of this as it explains it a bit better.

If you still think the army can help, then what can I say?
Originally Posted by dazdavies
Oh look Remoaners calling Brexiteers thick racists that don't have the acumen to understand Brexit.

Ironic considering the fact that all the resistance to it is what's putting the UK in a weaker position with it all.

Imagine what we'd achieve if people just accepted the result, and just got on with implementing it.

Instead we have a bunch of cry babies who will stop at nothing to get the result they wanted.

Can you imagine the uproar there would be if the boot were on the other foot and remain won the vote and the leavers kicked up this much fuss??

The Police commission saying if it was a no deal the public would be at risk! What a load of scaremongering horse **** that is.

If you think there's going to be a no deal backlash wait until you see what happens if Brexit gets watered down the way I think its going to be.

I think we'll see the biggest uprising since the poll tax riots.
What do you mean watered down? Watered down from what exactly?

Yes I can see the placards now 'We demand to be worse off' and 'Let's turn Great Britain into Little England' 😀

Last edited by Martin2005; 08 August 2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08 August 2018, 07:18 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The Police commission saying if it was a no deal the public would be at risk! What a load of scaremongering horse **** that is
How come you know better than the Police Commission? Have you read what they said?
"The loss of key EU databases, the European arrest warrant system and full Europol membership could pose significant risks to our local communities. These shared tools, measures, initiatives and capabilities which have been developed over the last 40 years of cooperation across the EU have saved many lives”

Explain why this is horsesh!t.
Old 08 August 2018, 07:37 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Some stuff

Some other stuff.

Lolz, imagine what exactly?
Old 08 August 2018, 08:13 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
How come you know better than the Police Commission? Have you read what they said?
"The loss of key EU databases, the European arrest warrant system and full Europol membership could pose significant risks to our local communities. These shared tools, measures, initiatives and capabilities which have been developed over the last 40 years of cooperation across the EU have saved many lives”

Explain why this is horsesh!t.
This is where you're showing a real lack of knowledge. Let me enlighten you. Our systems are equally of use to them as theirs is to us. They wouldn't want to lose access to ours any more than we would to theirs. Our intelligence services are among the best in the world. When the time comes the EU's access to those services won't be risked and used as a bargaining tool by the EU.

The police commission's statement is just more of the same old project fear rhetoric.
Old 08 August 2018, 08:28 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails

Lolz, imagine what exactly?
Christ and you call us Brexiteers thick.

The EU knows the country is divided on this. So it's exploiting that and making negotiations as difficult as they possibly can be because the UK government's position is a weak one.

Now let's say for arguments sake that it was a far bigger majority in favour of leave and all these people/organisations who are trying every trick in the book to undermine Brexit weren't.
We'd be negotiating from a position of strength and it would be the EU squabbling. Some of you forget how much the EU needs the UK to be part of the union. They are also desperate for Brexit to not be a success as it will inevitably lead to their house of cards cash cow come tumbling down around them.

The EU is about as bent as it gets but some are too ignorant to see that.
Old 08 August 2018, 08:43 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Christ and you call us Brexiteers thick.

The EU knows the country is divided on this. So it's exploiting that and making negotiations as difficult as they possibly can be because the UK government's position is a weak one.

Now let's say for arguments sake that it was a far bigger majority in favour of leave and all these people/organisations who are trying every trick in the book to undermine Brexit weren't.
We'd be negotiating from a position of strength and it would be the EU squabbling. Some of you forget how much the EU needs the UK to be part of the union. They are also desperate for Brexit to not be a success as it will inevitably lead to their house of cards cash cow come tumbling down around them.

The EU is about as bent as it gets but some are too ignorant to see that.
Leavers utopia; a switch flicks and everyone agrees Brexit is a good idea? It's nowhere near where we are though is it and there is bugger all chance of it happening either.

So that leaves us with the current 5hitstorm called reality.
Old 08 August 2018, 08:52 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Leavers utopia; a switch flicks and everyone agrees Brexit is a good idea? It's nowhere near where we are though is it and there is bugger all chance of it happening either.

So that leaves us with the current 5hitstorm called reality.
You need to ask yourself why is it such a **** storm? Because people are doing all they can to undermine it and prevent it and have done since the day the referendum was called.

They are turning this into a bigger problem than it ever needed to be but are too bloody minded and blinkered to see it.

Old 08 August 2018, 09:07 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

This is where you're showing a real lack of knowledge. Let me enlighten you. Our systems are equally of use to them as theirs is to us. They wouldn't want to lose access to ours any more than we would to theirs. Our intelligence services are among the best in the world. When the time comes the EU's access to those services won't be risked and used as a bargaining tool by the EU.
So, basically, you're saying we should have a 'watered down' Brexit. The Police Commission were voicing their concerns about a no-deal, hard brexit scenario.
Old 08 August 2018, 09:16 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

You need to ask yourself why is it such a **** storm? Because people are doing all they can to undermine it and prevent it and have done since the day the referendum was called.

They are turning this into a bigger problem than it ever needed to be but are too bloody minded and blinkered to see it.
Many people believe Brexit is possibly a daft idea, especially without a genuine alternative proposition to being in the EU.

I would categorise that as a big fricking problem.
Old 08 August 2018, 09:18 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

That's not at all what I'm saying but you've highlighted just the point I'm making quite nicely.
Remainers read what they want rather than what's actually written. A no deal scenario is better than a bad deal. The EU needs to understand that the UK will be prepared to walk away if needs be. But true to form all the bleating from remain undermines that and could be the cause of the very thing they're dreading.

It also annoys the crap out of me that more people don't have faith in this country and what it's capable of. Shame on you!
Old 08 August 2018, 09:31 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

That's not at all what I'm saying but you've highlighted just the point I'm making quite nicely.
Remainers read what they want rather than what's actually written. A no deal scenario is better than a bad deal. The EU needs to understand that the UK will be prepared to walk away if needs be. But true to form all the bleating from remain undermines that and could be the cause of the very thing they're dreading.

It also annoys the crap out of me that more people don't have faith in this country and what it's capable of. Shame on you!
There was never going to be a united front and therefore never going to be nice clean exit of any flavour.

Last paragraph was indulgently sanctimonious and a bit disappointing. Shame on the architects of Brexit that orcastrated a campaign aimed to dupe the vulnerable
Old 08 August 2018, 09:43 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

The police commission's statement is just more of the same old project fear rhetoric.
More like showing lack of common sense on your part. Yes, we have stuff to offer the EU on intelligence, but we are 1 state out of 28. We may even have the best, but ultimately, they are losing a small proportion of their resources.

Even the loss of the UK contribution in monetary terms to the EU is about 12 or 13%, so yes, it will cause some pain, but the EU doesn't 'need the UK'.
Old 08 August 2018, 09:56 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

There was never going to be a united front and therefore never going to be nice clean exit of any flavour.

Last paragraph was indulgently sanctimonious and a bit disappointing. Shame on the architects of Brexit that orcastrated a campaign aimed to dupe the vulnerable
​​​​​​​Hypocracy at its finest. The £350 million bus is the cornerstone of that argument yet there is endless ballix statements coming from project fear.

I've resisted commenting in here until tonight. A moment of weakness. It's gone the exact way I thought it would.

I shall leave you all to it.
As you were.

Last edited by dazdavies; 08 August 2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08 August 2018, 10:06 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Even the loss of the UK contribution in monetary terms to the EU is about 12 or 13%, so yes, it will cause some pain, but the EU doesn't 'need the UK'.
Of course it does. It needs the UK to not leave and not be a success. When it does other nations will follow and that's the last thing the EU wants. So kid yourself all you want but the UK leaving the EU is disastrous for the EU in much more than monetary terms.

Right that's me done. I could debate about this forever but I've far more entertain things to do like pulling teeth.
Old 08 August 2018, 10:29 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Of course it does. It needs the UK to not leave and not be a success. When it does other nations will follow and that's the last thing the EU wants. So kid yourself all you want but the UK leaving the EU is disastrous for the EU in much more than monetary terms.

Right that's me done. I could debate about this forever but I've far more entertain things to do like pulling teeth.
Newflash

There's not going to be a no deal Brexit. And the Chequers proposal won't fly either.

There will some kind of intermediate deal, followed by years of proper negotiation. It's the only way this was ever going to go.
Old 09 August 2018, 07:38 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Hypocracy at its finest. The £350 million bus is the cornerstone of that argument yet there is endless ballix statements coming from project fear.

I've resisted commenting in here until tonight. A moment of weakness. It's gone the exact way I thought it would.

I shall leave you all to it.
As you were.
Same boring old rhetoric based on "It will be alright if we all pull together and stop moaning". Naive at best.
Old 09 August 2018, 07:40 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Newflash

There's not going to be a no deal Brexit. And the Chequers proposal won't fly either.

There will some kind of intermediate deal, followed by years of proper negotiation. It's the only way this was ever going to go.
it's like a Boys Own the British Empire will endure head in the sand approach.
Old 09 August 2018, 08:46 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Same boring old rhetoric based on "It will be alright if we all pull together and stop moaning". Naive at best.
Yes, funny how they didn't want to all pull together to make the EU work
Old 09 August 2018, 08:56 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

There you have hit the nail on the head! The EU is not bending over backwards to give us a good deal because it could damage the future of the EU which is more important to them than doing a good deal with the UK. It has nothing to do with them exploiting a weak UK position and much more to do with protecting against the greater risk of the EU collapsing! That is why there was never a hope in hell of getting a good deal from the EU. No deal is better than a bad deal rings more true for the EU than it does for the UK. Sure, they need us, but not as much as we need them, and that is the whole point.

You want everyone to get behind Brexit because you won, but its not that simple when nearly half the people who voted were dead against it and that's not considering those who didn't vote or couldn't vote. If there was a clear majority for it, people probably would get behind it, but there isn't a clear majority and it has divided the nation. Remainers won't get behind it, because after two years, nobody has come out with a solid argument to say how Brexit is going to make things better in a way that wasn't possible while remaining in the EU. What is it that Brexit will achieve that couldn't have done before that is going to improve the lives of every British citizen?

Also, what is it you don't understand about the concept of No Deal? If there is No Deal, then there is no police database agreements, there is no open skies agreement, there is no borders agreement - there is NO DEAL on ANYTHING! You yourself state that no deal is better than a bad deal, so you have to accept that no deal is a possibility. Is it not therefore prudent to plan for a no deal scenario and for police chiefs to highlight what negative or positive impact a no deal scenario may have for them? If all these statements from police chiefs, the Bank of England, Air Certification authorities about No Deal, seem to highlight more negatives than positives, do you think its because they aren't finding many positives to highlight?

As Andy pointer out above, and he's one of the biggest Brexiteers here, companies are now taking action and moving jobs from the UK to Europe to combat Brexit. The government has been so weak in itself, regardless of public opinion, and still hasn't come up with a realistic plan of what Brexit deal they want. The Chequers deal is considered equally bad by Brexiteers and Remainers and has been declared unworkable by the EU, its not going to happen. So we still have no clear direction and companies can't wait any longer to enact their no deal plans, because in the absence of any clear direction, then have to plan for the worst. The damage is already being done and the Brexiteers are two wrapped up in their Battle of Britain mentality that they can't even see whats happening in front of their noses and continue to spout their brexiteer propaganda tag lines - Brexit means Brexit, No deal is better than a bad deal, if we all get behind Brexit the EU will have to give us a good deal - all just nonsensical crap, there is no substantial argument and a plan that says what Brexit is going to achieve and how its going to make us better off! And to work, it has to make everyone so much better off that it counter the short, medium or even longer term losses we're likely to make!
Old 09 August 2018, 09:03 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
What do you mean watered down? Watered down from what exactly?

Yes I can see the placards now 'We demand to be worse off' and 'Let's turn Great Britain into Little England' 😀
It matters not that we will be worse or better off. The UK has to leave. We all hope we will be to be much better off.
Old 09 August 2018, 09:28 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
It matters not that we will be worse or better off. The UK has to leave. We all hope we will be to be much better off.
That's the crux; it really doesn't have to leave. You might want it leave but ultimately it just doesn't.

Old 09 August 2018, 09:29 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

'it matters not that we will be worse off'

A much better, and more honest slogan for the side of a bus. I wonder who would of voting for that?

Old 09 August 2018, 09:31 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Yes, funny how they didn't want to all pull together to make the EU work
They don't want the EU to work so they would hardly get behind it, it's what they believe in...oh hold on I'm getting a weird familiar feeling about that sentence
Old 09 August 2018, 09:54 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

I'm sure that will be of huge comfort if things do go **** up, Brexiteers don't care if your business went down the pan. We were in control, however............
Old 09 August 2018, 09:56 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

They don't want the EU to work so they would hardly get behind it, it's what they believe in...oh hold on I'm getting a weird familiar feeling about that sentence
Indeed, it's like they forgot about the 40 years of bitching we had to endure until they finally got what they wanted.

I am convinced that if the EU survives, the UK will join again in the future. Future generations will look back on this and say "what the actual f*ck were they thinking?"
Old 09 August 2018, 10:49 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Indeed, it's like they forgot about the 40 years of bitching we had to endure until they finally got what they wanted.

I am convinced that if the EU survives, the UK will join again in the future. Future generations will look back on this and say "what the actual f*ck were they thinking?"
There will be some form of united Europe in the future whether it be an EU type entity of a Federation of countries...I think the longer the Brexit shambles goes on without any clear direction the greater the likelihood one of the parties will use a second referendum to leverage votes and we won't leave this time. Maybe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.