Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2018, 12:40 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Out of interest, how much does Holland spend yearly on Foreign Aid?
How is your 52% calculated?

The UK's problem is not raising money, it's how it's spent. They waste £billions a year, they spend ages denying that there is any money for anything Joe Public wants, but can find money for foreign wars, foreign aid, Northern Ireland as a sweetener and now replacing all flammable cladding on all tower blocks, at the drop of a hat.

Is there, then, any wonder that the UK public, seeing this and seeing them CONSTANTLY say "we can't afford it", says, "ENOUGH!!!"
Yes, its easy to see the frustration of the British people, but not one of those problems is the fault of the EU! The EU doesn't dictate us to spend money on foreign aid or getting involved in foreign wars! Neither does it tell us to not spend on the NHS, schooling or other public services!

The fact is, the UK chooses how much money to collect and where to spend it. On the grand scheme of things the EU is pretty cheap, so leaving the EU doesn't really save any significant amount of money that can be spent elsewhere. UK is really a bit of a tax haven within the EU. Corporation tax is incredibly low and personal income tax is also very low. In Germany, I pay around 40-45% income tax and corporation tax is significantly higher than the UK, yet it is still the largest economy within the EU! We have all the hospitals, schools and public services we need here and the people are genuinely happy in their lives. People will generally accept higher taxes if they can see the community benefits from it.

The problem is, the UK is going in the same direction of thinking as the US. Pay nothing and its every man for themselves. If you can't afford it, tough **** - work harder! ... or buy a gun, and take it from someone else!
Old 18 May 2018, 03:24 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I did not come up with the tax bracket of 52%....the government did. See my previous email at 0828 for the tax breakdown

I notice the tax brackets here because I am not a moron.

Well considering they spend 1% on foreign aid then it is roughly $5.81 billion total; $338.38 per capita.

The UK spend $18.70 billion; $284.85 per capita.
Old 18 May 2018, 03:28 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

So based on a salary of 115K....you pay 52K a year tax.
Old 18 May 2018, 05:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey, mrtheedghe, calm down.
I'm INTERESTED, not doubting your word.
Old 18 May 2018, 11:44 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As far as the NHS is concerned, we need to cut down on two things before throwing ANY more money at it.

1. Waste: protected sources for where they buy stuff, fully trained nurses sitting beside consultants doing what amounts to clerical work at day clinics, too many middle managers with too many luxurious offices, etc etc

2. Allowing all and sundry to use it without charging, whether or not they live here.
no, the answer is simple - stop poor people from using the NHS

ask any health professional and they will confirm that poor people take up most resources in the NHs, from primary care to acute care to everything in between - and they pay least into it

simple

your welcome
Old 19 May 2018, 07:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

What a silly comment, even for you.
Old 20 May 2018, 11:17 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
no, the answer is simple - stop poor people from using the NHS

ask any health professional and they will confirm that poor people take up most resources in the NHs, from primary care to acute care to everything in between - and they pay least into it

simple

your welcome
And where are poor people going to get support from? private health care?
Old 23 May 2018, 05:10 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This Wasn't on the side of the bus.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...itics-44229606
Old 24 May 2018, 09:01 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Neither was what you lot SAY was there.
Old 24 May 2018, 09:12 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Neither was what you lot SAY was there.
The only thing I remember seeing on the bus was about giving £350 million a week back to the NHS! That was definitely there!

What have we said was on the bus that actually wasn't???
Old 24 May 2018, 09:40 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
This Wasn't on the side of the bus.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...itics-44229606
A lot of people in manufacturing, and beyond, will be at risk of losing their jobs over this.

I have a friend who works in a manufacturer of furniture who source their wood from Norway and Sweden and he still cannot fathom how this customs fallout may affect his profession........ Seriously, the more I speak to Brexiteers and Pro-Trump people the more I see they are one and the same.
Old 24 May 2018, 09:42 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
A lot of people in manufacturing, and beyond, will be at risk of losing their jobs over this.

I have a friend who works in a manufacturer of furniture who source their wood from Norway and Sweden and he still cannot fathom how this customs fallout may affect his profession........ Seriously, the more I speak to Brexiteers and Pro-Trump people the more I see they are one and the same.
They are the same.
Old 24 May 2018, 09:46 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44232269

Mind boggles...... "hey fckers...we don't want to be in the EU but please, please, please, let us continue to have all the access to EU-member-only programmes that suits us"
Old 24 May 2018, 10:50 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
The only thing I remember seeing on the bus was about giving £350 million a week back to the NHS! That was definitely there!

What have we said was on the bus that actually wasn't???

Read the wording:

"Let's give it to the NHS instead"

ie: Let us....., an idea, NOT a promise.

The lies are from your side as always.
Old 24 May 2018, 11:08 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Read the wording:

"Let's give it to the NHS instead"

ie: Let us....., an idea, NOT a promise.

The lies are from your side as always.
wow, you're really scraping the bottom of the pro-Brexit barrel now!
Old 24 May 2018, 11:24 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Like Trump's victims,brexiters fell for the delusion, the words were there

It wouldn't have mattered what order they were in
Old 24 May 2018, 01:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

You lot really are dim.
Since when do the words, "Let's.." preceding something mean that it is fixed and WILL BE DONE?
It denotes a wish to do something.

I think I'll leave you all to go back to your cry-baby whining.
Old 24 May 2018, 02:07 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

That's right; now that the Brexiteers have dragged us into this freaking morass of expense, additional bureaucracy and uncertainty they just want to toddle off to go find some sand to bury their heads in.

And they think WE'RE dim.
Old 24 May 2018, 02:38 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

You lot really are dim.
Since when do the words, "Let's.." preceding something mean that it is fixed and WILL BE DONE?

Typical gammon response, arguing about the meaning of "let's" and missing the real point that a) £350 million a week was anyway not true and b) The additional costs to the UK post Brexit are going to be way more than £350 million a week
Old 24 May 2018, 02:47 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You lot really are dim.
You know damn well it wasn't a wish to do something. It was a cynical ploy to sway undecided voters. The suggestion was dismissed out of hand within hours of the result. The fact that you still continue to defend this blatant manipulation means that you're the one thats dim.
Old 24 May 2018, 05:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

What a bunch of whining wnakers you lot are.
LOL

Old 24 May 2018, 06:08 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44232269

Mind boggles...... "hey fckers...we don't want to be in the EU but please, please, please, let us continue to have all the access to EU-member-only programmes that suits us"
the french have done this for years only using the rules that suit them, ignoring vat on building materials for renovations springs to mind as a example
Old 24 May 2018, 06:43 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by madscoob
the french have done this for years only using the rules that suit them, ignoring vat on building materials for renovations springs to mind as a example
They don't ignore it, they have a lower rate of 10% for renovations. The UK has several zero-rated goods which all other countries in the EU (apart from Ireland) do not, for example food, water supplies, books, and pharmaceuticals.

Last edited by Sad Weevil; 24 May 2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 24 May 2018, 06:47 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no you won’t, you enjoy it to much.

What a bunch of whining wnakers you lot are.
LOL

Thought you were supposed to be above petty insults...
Old 24 May 2018, 11:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

DeXEU have just released a paper setting out our negotiating priorities (I won't bother linking to it, it will hit the media in the next couple of days)

But laughably (and predictably) it sets out all the reasons the EU/SM/CU is such a great idea (frictionless trade etc) and the UK wants to replicate it, but without any of the cost\obligations

It is delusional nonsense off course, just more cherry picking cakeism

Defending brexit is like trying to defend the flat earth theory - you really need to just "believe"
Old 25 May 2018, 01:01 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Be interesting see if another country exits eu in the coming couple years
Cos if it all collapses then presumably we'll be back to square one
Yep
Old 25 May 2018, 01:26 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Latest statement I can find:

Certificates issued before the withdrawal date by the competent authorities of the United Kingdom on the basis of the provisions of the Basic Regulation and its implementing rules will no longer be valid as of the withdrawal date in the EU. This concerns in particular:
 Certificates of airworthiness, restricted certificates of airworthiness, permits to fly, approvals of organisations responsible for the maintenance of products, parts and appliances, approvals for organisations responsible for the manufacture of products, parts and appliances, approvals for maintenance training organisations, and certificates for personnel responsible for the release of a product, part or appliance after maintenance, issued pursuant to Article 5 of the Basic Regulation;
 Pilot licences, pilot medical certificates, certificates for pilot training organisations, certificates for aero-medical centres, certificates for flight simulation training devices, certificates for persons responsible for providing flight training, flight simulation training or assessing pilots' skill, and certificates for aero medical examiners, issued pursuant to Article 7 of the Basic Regulation;
 Certificates for air operators and attestations for the cabin crew, issued pursuant to Article 8 of the Basic Regulation;
 Certificates for aerodromes, certificates for ATM/ANS providers, licences and medical certificates for air traffic controllers, certificates for air traffic controller training organisations, certificates for aero medical centres and aero medical examiners responsible for air traffic controllers, certificates for persons
etc

So after reading that, unless an agreement is reached, UK airspace will become inaccessible and that includes overflights. Can't see that being able to happen, too much money at stake for all parties.
I had an advert in my farcebook feed earlier this week from a Flight School basically saying that from the day we leave the EU, all licences to do with aircrew and ATC will be void/invalid etc. and as such, you should go train with them instead, they are based in Ireland. They even quoted a link to the information above.

I felt tempted to call them out on it basically asking if they really thought this was going to be allowed to happen as the repercussions for the airline industry as a whole would be horrific, but I'd guess my post would be removed. Clearly a cheap shot scare story marketing campaign, but if it pulls them in a few more punters, then fair game. Doesn't say much for the intelligence of somebody who's willing to shell out £60k+ on a frozen ATPL if there are going to be very few aircraft to fly in, around and through UK airspace though Dublin to Amsterdam flight anyone......
Old 25 May 2018, 02:21 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

What is the world coming to

Nothing should change from a country leaving the EU. Really shouldn't. But it seems a punishable offence
Old 25 May 2018, 03:24 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

^^^^ don't be a tool. How can you not expect it to end? If you leave your company do you still expect them to let you use their office, use their phones, computers, cars etc?

The EU member states are granted access to EU programs. If you are not an EU member state you cannot seriously expect to still use these programs
Old 25 May 2018, 03:29 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lozgti1
What is the world coming to

Nothing should change from a country leaving the EU. Really shouldn't. But it seems a punishable offence
Nobody is punishing the UK, the UK is bringing the punishment on itself!

By leaving the EU, you are no longer a partner in all the agreements that the EU has made over the last 40 years. The reality of taking back control is starting from zero. In some areas, deals can be done with the EU to maintain the status quo, in other areas it just won't be possible.

Taking a soft Brexit such as the Norway model then pretty much nothing will change! Taking a hard Brexit and leaving the customs union, then we no longer abide by the EU rules and a lot more changes.

The Brexit negotiations will determine exactly what stays the same or what has to change. Much will come down to how much we're prepared to still contribute to the EU budget or whatever else we can offer that the EU would like from us e.g. access to fisheries!

Things would be a lot easier if the government hadn't triggered article 50 before deciding what it actually wants. Instead, they triggered article 50 way too early, had a needless general election and still don't know what they want, all the time we're getting ever closer to leaving and with no agreements, then we really do go back to square one with less trading agreements than North Korea!

This notion that we're being punished by the EU is just pure Brexiteer propaganda! We chose to leave, we have to live with the reality of what that means!

Quick Reply: So Brexit seems to be a good thing then.