Default Gatecrasher 23rd Birthday 15th October Sheffield

Anyone off here going?

It's going to be EPIC!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1780...76288277423022
Old 14 October 2016, 11:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to go as I'm a proper old Crasher kid from BITD but alas I have a prior engagement I can't get out of unfortunately.

3hrs of Bondy and Mr Hardwick b2b from 3-6am would've been epic.
Old 15 October 2016, 11:31 AM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Jesus, I'm far too old for those kinds of nights now. I partied so hard for so long in my younger days, I don't think I have any party left in me.

I liked Crasher - went many times, including the Summer Sound System - but to be honest I much preferred Passion. JFK was resident, joined by the likes of Tall Paul, Alex P, Sonique, Brandon Block. I went almost every week for a couple of years. Literally the best nights of my life!

So would they be playing modern stuff at the 23rd birthday, or old-skool classics?
Old 15 October 2016, 11:42 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Crasher was it for me. The best. I personally find PaSSion was more the commercial of the super clubs. Played the more over-played tracks and had those kinda DJ's on more than other super clubs at the time.

But horses for courses, vibes and tribes etc.

At Crasher there's a "rebooted" arena, for the new stuff and a "23 years of Gatecrasher" for the classics.
Old 15 October 2016, 12:07 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Strange how perceptions differ. For me, Crasher, Godskitchen, and Cream were the most commercial, whereas Passion was the least commercial, less known by the masses, more a secret for the true clubbers. But maybe some tracks were a little overplayed; tracks like Airwave, Silence, Time to Burn, and Skydive were played at least a couple of times every week... not that we complained!

But like you say, it matters not. I'm sure we both had great times and, most importantly, will always have those memories!
Old 15 October 2016, 03:21 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Gatecrasher, gods kitchen all memorable nights out for me and not forgetting my local Hacienda!
Old 15 October 2016, 08:25 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

You youngsters....

What's wrong with a little boogy around the lounge to the dulcet tones of Boney-M?
Far, far more satisfying than being squashed shoulder to shoulder with sweaty, tanked-up, free for all loose and scantily clad wimmins.
Old 16 October 2016, 07:34 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol, zip, boney m

You lot are real youngsters, I was lucky enough to catch the back end of the Northern Soul scene which morphed into the funk and soul scene, all dayers and all nighters with no drugs to get you through a bank holiday week end, just a bag full of food and clothes to change into when you got soaked to the skin from dancing so hard.
Then just when I thought I couldn't dance anymore rapping and break dancing started to run alongside the funk and soul, THEN came the rave scene, but I wasn't really into it at first, I was still going to dancehall sound clashes on the underground Reggae scene during all of the above, and Roller skating which was my main form of transport from the age of 12 when I got my first pair knew the rave scene was there as some venues crossed over between the various scenes, hacienda being one of the more well known ones.

I got into rave a little before it became full on commercial and then went across onto drum and base and into the jungle scene which was more my style as you could actually dance to it and get a shuffle on and had a lot of faces from the old funk days when you'd have a dance challenge and drop your latest moves on your opponent, much to the delight of the onlookers and those out to steal your moves, Those were the REAL good old days. .

As for the back end / rave, it's a bit like Woodstock, if you can remember it, you weren't really there.
Old 23 October 2016, 10:28 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a night!!!!

Judge Jules was fantastic, then he handed over to Paul Oakenfold, Oaky swapped the mixing deck positions and unplugged something and the music went off! The crowd were shouting/booing/cheering at him, he eventually got the music started but he had 'lost' the crowd. A lot of people left the room and went to other rooms, he never got the crowd back.

I eventually left just after 5am

Last edited by BoozyDave; 23 October 2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 23 October 2016, 10:42 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Reach for the lasers!

Some old classics being played there. Ayla is an all-time great, although I prefer the original to the Taucher remix. Never was a fan of Oakey personally.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 23 October 2016, 10:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I heard Guy Ornadel had a nightmare on the vinyl due to reverb and the needle skipping on records. Fair play to him for spinning wax and not going for the easie cd option.

Boxing Day looks good too, just waiting on confirmation that I'm playing the after party at The Leadmill
Old 23 October 2016, 11:16 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to love Oakey, but I was really dissapointed with his set. I wasn't fussed about seeing JJ, but I'm so glad that I did, he made the night

Guy Ornadel did have a nightmare, but his set was great, I was in VIP and looking down at the decks, he has some great talent with vinyl
IMO it was how I remember it 'back in the day' lol. Some of the mp3 mixing is too clinical, you can't 'hear' the source or occasional jump