Weekend out with the kids...

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2016, 12:48 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weekend out with the kids...

Anyone here visited the Monkey Forest?

Think of heading there with my kids on Saturday on my way to London from Manchester? 5,7 & 9 year old?

http://www.monkey-forest.com/

Any feed back?

Also anyone recommend any place good near Birmingham - for Sunday visit?

Thanks
Old 28 July 2016, 01:07 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

We went a few years ago - it was good - certainly lots of monkeys running about, sitting on the paths etc - if they like monkeys should be a hit!

Cadbury World on the way back?? But being the school hols *definitely* pre-book tickets if you do.....

Last edited by Dr Hu; 28 July 2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 28 July 2016, 03:15 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Drayton manor theme park in Birmingham would be good for the youngsters, or the snowdome
Old 29 July 2016, 09:41 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SamUK
Anyone here visited the Monkey Forest?

Think of heading there with my kids on Saturday on my way to London from Manchester? 5,7 & 9 year old?

http://www.monkey-forest.com/

Any feed back?

Also anyone recommend any place good near Birmingham - for Sunday visit?

Thanks
I've not been to the one in Trentham Gardens, but the original park is located near me in Salem, Germany (called Affenberg = Monkey Hill). There is also another park in France. I regularly go SCUBA diving with the guy the runs the park here and he is also responsible for the other two parks, so he's told me a bit about the one in Stoke and I've also had after hours tours of the park here!

The parks are really great. The monkeys are free to wander over the walkways, so you can get really close to them, but be careful not to leave your bags open, they'll take anything they can On the German and French parks, they actually give you popcorn that the monkeys will take out of your hand, but the UK park they decided not to do that to try a new concept and they are very pleased with the way the UK park is working compared to the others!

The whole organisation is a fantastic conservation cause. They're not the typical large corporation tourist attraction, they're a private company, founded by a conservationist and all their profits go back into the conservation of the monkeys, helping preserve their natural habitat in North Africa and re-introducing them into the wild. Nobody is getting rich and they are heavily dependent on volunteers to help out at the parks, so I'd really encourage everyone to visit and help out the good cause!

I'd also recommend visiting during feeding times. They give a really great talk about the monkeys and how they live and you see how the hierarchy in the community works when it comes to food!

Edit to add: I have been to Trentham Gardens before they built the monkey park and I'd say its also worth visiting the Gardens!

Last edited by BMWhere?; 29 July 2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 30 July 2016, 10:14 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
I've not been to the one in Trentham Gardens, but the original park is located near me in Salem, Germany (called Affenberg = Monkey Hill). There is also another park in France. I regularly go SCUBA diving with the guy the runs the park here and he is also responsible for the other two parks, so he's told me a bit about the one in Stoke and I've also had after hours tours of the park here!

The parks are really great. The monkeys are free to wander over the walkways, so you can get really close to them, but be careful not to leave your bags open, they'll take anything they can On the German and French parks, they actually give you popcorn that the monkeys will take out of your hand, but the UK park they decided not to do that to try a new concept and they are very pleased with the way the UK park is working compared to the others!

The whole organisation is a fantastic conservation cause. They're not the typical large corporation tourist attraction, they're a private company, founded by a conservationist and all their profits go back into the conservation of the monkeys, helping preserve their natural habitat in North Africa and re-introducing them into the wild. Nobody is getting rich and they are heavily dependent on volunteers to help out at the parks, so I'd really encourage everyone to visit and help out the good cause!

I'd also recommend visiting during feeding times. They give a really great talk about the monkeys and how they live and you see how the hierarchy in the community works when it comes to food!

Edit to add: I have been to Trentham Gardens before they built the monkey park and I'd say its also worth visiting the Gardens!
Been to this one in France - http://www.la-vallee-des-singes.fr/

Absolutely brilliant family day out. Taking account of the UK weather, a visit in the rain would not be quite as enjoyable as you spend a lot of time looking skywards for monkeys in the trees.
Old 30 July 2016, 10:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Did anyone misread the title as weekend with out the kids?