Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which Dyson?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2016, 04:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Dyson?

I had an old style Dyson which was OK but very heavy and a pain to cart up and down the stairs. But it broke and so I need a replacement. So any suggestions as to which model? I live on my own in small old cottage which I keep tidy so no onerous tasks for Dyson. Lightweight is a key factor. I have been told that some Dysons are prone to breakage on the pipes on upright versions.

Was thinking about the Animal upright model. Only a short working time span but probably enough for me. Anyone got one? Also can I get an adapter to fit my Henry accessories to Dyson.

They seem to cost a fortune but I can get at a substantial discount so will give it a go.

Cheers, David
Old 15 April 2016, 04:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

One word: Vax.
Old 15 April 2016, 04:49 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought one on a deal it is a great machine but battery life is rubbish thinks its 20 min max so cant do a 3 bed house on a charge, great for the car though
Old 15 April 2016, 05:21 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Aldi have this one on offer at the moment. https://www.aldi.co.uk/dyson-dc50-mu...70846031595200
Old 15 April 2016, 05:47 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We bought a cordless Dyson DC59 Animal and have had it for over a year now. I would NEVER go back to a wired vacuum, just trust me! Without sounding funny, we live in a large 4 bedroom farmhouse and we find it is perfectly up to the job. It is very quick and easy to use, no faffing about with wires getting in the way or unplugging and plugging.

In 14 months of ownership, I've only had it run out of power on me 3 times. No big deal though as it's still worth it for us due to its ease of use.

Name:  713ogpQkNEL._SL1500__zps2phbqkmu.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  24.0 KB

My partners Dad has a Gtec Ram and it's not as good. Plus it's not as portable as the dyson.

My parents have a £1k Kirby which I've borrowed before and I found the cordless Dyson so much quicker and it was better than the Kirby on hardfloor. The Kirby had the edge over the Dyson on carpet but minimal.

I've also had a Vax hardfloor cleaner. Pile of junk that was which I sent back after 2 days.

Last edited by LSherratt; 15 April 2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 15 April 2016, 06:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

What model was your old one, and what broke? Spares are plentiful and reasonably priced.

Obviously its still a heavy thing, but I may be tempted it buy off you to repair for myself as my mum's nicked my DC04 which I used to hoover the offices, and it looks like its not comming back any time soon. The quality on newer Dysons isn't as quite as good IMO, so I'd rather not buy a new one.

Not helpful I know and it'll probably cost me more in postage and aggro than the thing is worth only to find the motor is burnt out
Old 15 April 2016, 06:43 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Got a cordless model, and is loads better than standard one, only thing i found is you have to keep your finger on the trigger and its not very comfortable, plus motor packed in, so Dyson sent out new unit and as it has a roller its constantly getting hairs rapped around it, so needs to be removed and hairs removed from roller.
Old 15 April 2016, 06:52 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We had and old DC10 which weighed a tonne. Recently bought the DC50 upright which weighs in at 5.4KG.

You can get a Genuine Dyson refurb for £185 or an Argos B-grade for £140... on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-DC50...wAAOSwZ8ZW3XxO
Old 15 April 2016, 06:59 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

We have a dyson animal dc32 I think (the small one with long hose), it's served us well in excess of 10 years, fitted a new motor when it went and still running strong, as they say never loose suction if cleaned the correct parts.
Quite easy to repair/replace faults if needed.
Old 15 April 2016, 09:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
What model was your old one, and what broke? Spares are plentiful and reasonably priced.

Obviously its still a heavy thing, but I may be tempted it buy off you to repair for myself as my mum's nicked my DC04 which I used to hoover the offices, and it looks like its not comming back any time soon. The quality on newer Dysons isn't as quite as good IMO, so I'd rather not buy a new one.

Not helpful I know and it'll probably cost me more in postage and aggro than the thing is worth only to find the motor is burnt out

My sister took it away so not sure on model but DC04 rings a bell. Can find out if you want, The main handle snapped about 6 inches from top. I wondered about putting a bit of dowel in and taping it. My problem is stairs are a problem as my foot is still in a cast so my carrying capacity is screwed. Sister in Manchester if that helps.

david
Old 16 April 2016, 06:09 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A centralised vacuum system is the way to go.
All piped to the power unit , normally in the garage.
Low noise , no pollution in the home , more powerful etc etc
Old 16 April 2016, 07:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
My sister took it away so not sure on model but DC04 rings a bell. Can find out if you want, The main handle snapped about 6 inches from top. I wondered about putting a bit of dowel in and taping it. My problem is stairs are a problem as my foot is still in a cast so my carrying capacity is screwed. Sister in Manchester if that helps.

david
Don't worry about it David, it's too far for me to collect. But FYI a genuine new wand/handle is around £40, the DC04 has two types depending on if it's a model with a clutch or not (as well as the colours) as the hose fitting is different. Few minutes to fit.

They do break- mine broke after one too many tumbles down the stairs so it's on its second one, the DC03 suffers from the same issue (which my gran has). The DC14 in contrast breaks it chassis\backbone around the wheels.

I think I'd be tempted with the V6 or V8 handhelds, but battery lifespan - from both running time and overall life would be a concern. So maybe a handheld for light general use and a DC50 upright for more intensive cleaning.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 April 2016 at 07:41 AM.