Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Abortion

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2015, 02:23 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTaylor
would you have them killed before coming in to the world?
You can't be killed before being born, can you? I believe it's called child destruction. Semantics I know, but the emotive language used here can misrepresent.
Old 22 July 2015, 02:23 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c_maguire
You are now doing exactly what I predicted. On a practical level it would only be possible to act on definites.

Move it back in time and say that a foetus within the allowed timeframe was known to be deaf and blind, then I would abort. Quality of life and drain on resources being the reasons cited.
So in your world if a 24 week or younger Stephen Hawking could have been tested positively for a future with MND then you would have had him killed. You wouldn't have given Helen Keller a chance, either.
Old 22 July 2015, 02:25 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

There are enough people on this planet already that in principle we could afford to be a little more selective regarding the newcomers.

As far as unborn children are concerned they neither know nor have anything to be deprived of. That comes later.
There are far too many irrelevant emotions surrounding the subject of abortion, and of course there's religion.
Old 22 July 2015, 02:29 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

So in your world if a 24 week or younger Stephen Hawking could have been tested positively for a future with MND then you would have had him killed. You wouldn't have given Helen Keller a chance, either.
Isn't Stephen Hawking's take on life (and the meaning of) somewhat at odds with yours?
Old 22 July 2015, 02:37 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

I had to look Helen Keller up. Ironically you've made the same mistake twice, as she lost her hearing and sight at 19 months after an illness and was in fact born healthy.

That aside the choice is ultimately the parents as we're not in 1930's Germany or a 1970's Swedish mental hospital, although had your scenario existed I would have sanctioned an abortion request from Hawking's parents and we'd all be none the wiser as regards what he might have done.
There are plenty of others who might have been big achievers, or equally well might not.
Old 22 July 2015, 02:38 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Isn't Stephen Hawking's take on life (and the meaning of) somewhat at odds with yours?
Not really. We're both seekers who've drawn different conclusions. Or, if you'd prefer, we use different language to describe the same thing.

https://www.scoobynet.com/849424-ste...l#post10695287
Old 22 July 2015, 02:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuber
The act of abortion should be banned full stop unless it's for a proven serious health issue to mother or baby! A LIFE is created in the mothers womb, does not matter how the sad folk in this World with no moral compass try to butter it up to justify killing the baby!!!!
Rape?
Incest?
Peadophilia?
Forced Marriage?
Forced oppression on females?

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 22 July 2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 22 July 2015, 02:48 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I'm pro-choice. In an ideal world, it wouldn't be used as a form of contraception, but then we don't live in an ideal world. Also, it's not just lazy/careless people that end up pregnant when not wanting to be, accidents do happen when women are using birth control.
The reasoned voice.
We need more women in positions of power in religion or politics to keep the equalibrium.
Old 22 July 2015, 02:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Like we're running out of babies on the world ..
Old 22 July 2015, 02:54 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

The act of abortion should be banned full stop unless it's for a proven serious health issue to mother or baby! A LIFE is created in the mothers womb, does not matter how the sad folk in this World with no moral compass try to butter it up to justify killing the baby!!!!

There's always one ffs.

Lets look at this scenario. Your wife is gang raped at knifepoint by 12 disgusting scum. They force you to watch. She gets pregnant as a direct result but mother and baby are physically fit and well.

Do you and your wife keep the baby (which will for ever be a direct reminder of what happened because a "life has been created"?
Old 22 July 2015, 02:55 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

There's irony for you
Old 22 July 2015, 02:55 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I had to look Helen Keller up. Ironically you've made the same mistake twice, as she lost her hearing and sight at 19 months after an illness and was in fact born healthy.

That aside the choice is ultimately the parents as we're not in 1930's Germany or a 1970's Swedish mental hospital, although had your scenario existed I would have sanctioned an abortion request from Hawking's parents and we'd all be none the wiser as regards what he might have done.
There are plenty of others who might have been big achievers, or equally well might not.
So you're unashamedly pro-eugenics; well, at least you're honest. Would you euthanise post-birth or just pre?

Last edited by JTaylor; 22 July 2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 22 July 2015, 02:56 PM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

Ok for very special reasons including health reasons that are 100% proven, not just the woman can't be arsed using contraception and then two witch doctors signs it ok over mental health issues! Approx 200,000 abortions per year in the UK at the moment,, this is totally unacceptable behaviour!
Old 22 July 2015, 03:06 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Don't let the physical resemblance confuse you. At that point, in the womb, its a developing collection of cells with no sense of awareness or existence (as I've said before)

Whilst foetuses at that age and younger born prematurely have survived, they can only survive with significant medical intervention.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 February 2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: JTaylor quote removed due to complaints
Old 22 July 2015, 03:08 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Don't let the physical resemblance confuse you. At that point, in the womb, its a developing collection of cells with no sense of awareness or existence (as I've said before)

Whilst foetuses at that age and younger born prematurely have survived, they can only survive with significant medical intervention.
At what age does this "collection of cells" develop a "sense of awareness or existence"?
Old 22 July 2015, 03:08 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Viewed purely logically and accepting that children are a responsibility to be earned and not a right then what is your problem?
What barrel is it you think is having its bottom scraped?
You make having children sound like driving a car...
Old 22 July 2015, 03:11 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Ok for very special reasons including health reasons that are 100% proven, not just the woman can't be arsed using contraception and then two witch doctors signs it ok over mental health issues! Approx 200,000 abortions per year in the UK at the moment,, this is totally unacceptable behaviour!
Better than 200,000 unwanted children, most of whom would not be adopted and many of whom would suffer as a result.

I'm quite sure that there are not 200,000 abortions per year just because the woman can't be arsed using contraception.

Instead of simply banging on about it being unacceptable, why don't you explain why you think it is unacceptable?
Old 22 July 2015, 03:16 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

At what age does this "collection of cells" develop a "sense of awareness or existence"?
Most recent research indicates that its from the minute they are born.

What actually made you re address your view on this JT? Pictures on the internet?
Old 22 July 2015, 03:21 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

What about from rape, incest, peadophilia, oppression? You seem to avoid the answer to that one?
Old 22 July 2015, 03:36 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Most recent research indicates that its from the minute they are born.
So why not abort at anytime up to say eight and half months?

What actually made you re address your view on this JT? Pictures on the internet?
No, I've only really looked at those during this discussion. I guess (and I apologise in advance to NSR's numerous anti-theists) it's the prospect of man playing dice with lives that could have been and the sanctity of those lives. If I'm honest, I haven't really marshalled my thoughts around the subject, yet. I think threads like this help to gain perspective. I imagine if I were a policy maker I'd declare myself privately (philosophically, ethically) pro-life, but endorse pro-choice legislation on the ground that I'm also a liberal and a secularist. It sounds paradoxical, but actually it would mean both sets of principles would remain intact.
Old 22 July 2015, 03:36 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Is that as unacceptable, or more so, than the millions born into poverty and disease in Africa due to a religious or otherwise aversion to contraception?
Old 22 July 2015, 03:46 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

There's always one ffs.

Lets look at this scenario. Your wife is gang raped at knifepoint by 12 disgusting scum. They force you to watch. She gets pregnant as a direct result but mother and baby are physically fit and well.

Do you and your wife keep the baby (which will for ever be a direct reminder of what happened because a "life has been created"?

It's easy to pick an extreme example like that because most reasonable people would agree with you. However 99% of abortions in this country will not be due to gang rape.

We have, as JB points out and I can confirm, abortion on demand in this country. Lets discuss the real everyday situation, not the outliers.
Old 22 July 2015, 04:24 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it is fare to say that there are no winners in this argument

any absolutist view, whether it is Abortion on demand on one hand, and the life is life from the moment of conception, on the other

is "wrong" imo

Ultimately I am pro-choice, but not an unqualified pro choice,

ironically most pro lifers in the US are pro death penalty to
Old 23 July 2015, 12:16 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
but at the end of the day if you really don't want a child then BOTH party's need to be doing something about it.
This is not me having a go at blokes, but I do wonder if the number of unwanted pregnancies would go down, if more people held that view.

It seems to me, reading some posts here, and just more generally what I've heard over the years, that the majority of responsibility is placed on the female. Assuming a lot of abortions are the result of lack of contraception as opposed to failure of contraception, or extreme cases (i.e. rapes etc), then how about men are more insistent on using condoms, if the woman isn't on the pill or whatever? I hear over time of men saying they don't like using condoms, well, news flash, not all women like the various forms of birth control available to them. Yet it seems when it all goes wrong, and the woman ends up pregnant, it is largely her fault, and she then gets demonised by some, for opting to abort.

I stand by what I said earlier, that ideally abortions should not be used as a form of contraception basically, but perhaps more needs to be done from a young age to encourage joint responsibility when it comes to protection, and a responsible attitude towards sex. I wouldn't describe myself as a feminist, but I think it's a tad unfair that it seems the lying share of blame is placed on women in these circumstances, just because she is the 'host' if you like.
Old 23 July 2015, 07:18 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not me having a go at blokes, but I do wonder if the number of unwanted pregnancies would go down, if more people held that view.

It seems to me, reading some posts here, and just more generally what I've heard over the years, that the majority of responsibility is placed on the female. Assuming a lot of abortions are the result of lack of contraception as opposed to failure of contraception, or extreme cases (i.e. rapes etc), then how about men are more insistent on using condoms, if the woman isn't on the pill or whatever? I hear over time of men saying they don't like using condoms, well, news flash, not all women like the various forms of birth control available to them. Yet it seems when it all goes wrong, and the woman ends up pregnant, it is largely her fault, and she then gets demonised by some, for opting to abort.

I stand by what I said earlier, that ideally abortions should not be used as a form of contraception basically, but perhaps more needs to be done from a young age to encourage joint responsibility when it comes to protection, and a responsible attitude towards sex. I wouldn't describe myself as a feminist, but I think it's a tad unfair that it seems the lying share of blame is placed on women in these circumstances, just because she is the 'host' if you like.
Yes there does seem to be an abdication of responsibility on the part of a large proportion of men, something I was guilty of when I had my early scare, I was more interested in "getting some" than the possible consequences of not using contraception. I dismissed the chances of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, thankfully I got away with it on both counts, but it's not a dice that anyone should be rolling on a regular basis.
Old 23 July 2015, 09:04 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

giving women power of their own body is a very good way of addressing lack of education and poverty, especially in Africa

and along side this making men more accountable

what is interesting, is that to a lot of women in Africa - pregnancy is not an addendum to their life, it is 100% part of it

African women often become pregnant by the age of 15 and are continually in a state of pregnancy or childbirth until they reach the menopause
Old 23 July 2015, 09:44 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
It's easy to pick an extreme example like that because most reasonable people would agree with you. However 99% of abortions in this country will not be due to gang rape.

We have, as JB points out and I can confirm, abortion on demand in this country. Lets discuss the real everyday situation, not the outliers.

Absolutely Deep, but sometimes you need to roll out the extreme examples to question sweeping generalisations.
Old 23 July 2015, 09:47 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Agree 100% Lisa. Its as much the mans fault as the woman's, and if there is a need to abort it should be very much a joint responsibility. Its more than a tad unfair - its a disgrace.
Old 23 July 2015, 11:35 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Having spent 7 months in a NICU recently, I've seen babies born at 24 weeks. One couple that we got to know quite well now have their baby at home who is doing very well. Yes, they needed a lot of major medical intervention and had lots of subsequent issues, but those babies were very much more than a collection of developing cells. They were babies, human beings; strong enough to fight and continue their lives.

Sadly, we also experienced those for whom the fight was too much, but I'm left with no doubt in my mind that at 24 weeks they are very much viable, very much alive, very much a baby in the truest sense.
Old 23 July 2015, 11:52 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Having spent 7 months in a NICU recently, I've seen babies born at 24 weeks. One couple that we got to know quite well now have their baby at home who is doing very well. Yes, they needed a lot of major medical intervention and had lots of subsequent issues, but those babies were very much more than a collection of developing cells. They were babies, human beings; strong enough to fight and continue their lives.

Sadly, we also experienced those for whom the fight was too much, but I'm left with no doubt in my mind that at 24 weeks they are very much viable, very much alive, very much a baby in the truest sense.
24 weeks is far too late IMO.