Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scotland - what now?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2015, 09:29 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scotland - what now?

Election 2015 - Is this the real end of the union?

How do the Scots on SN feel this morning? The party that threw all its efforts behind independence has swept to power in Scotland yet the UK (English in reality) government is to be the party most diametrically opposed to independence and giving Scotland any further powers (even though they had to give a lot when they badly misjudged the Scottish people's attitude to the referendum).

How can these two countries co-exists under this political spectrum?
Old 08 May 2015, 09:41 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Cameron has already said more powers to be devolved.

But surely, he MUST tackle the West Lothian question now?
Old 08 May 2015, 11:02 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Moving trident to George V1 reservoir ?
Old 08 May 2015, 06:35 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

The SNP have done a good job up here, but the Scottish elections are next year.

If they get the same result, we'll have a dictatorship and they'll be talking amongst themselves in the parliament

The Scottish people have voted no to independence and thats never going to change with oil at $60 a barrel. Nicola and Alex know that perfectly well.
Old 08 May 2015, 06:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

More tax raising and spending autonomy
Old 08 May 2015, 06:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Is the Barnet formula still providing for them
Old 08 May 2015, 08:28 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

They'll let the dust settle for a year or so, until the price of oil starts rising again. Then they'll start harping on about independence again!

Next time, let the English in on the vote. They'll get what they want then.
Old 08 May 2015, 08:53 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

Next time, let the English in on the vote. They'll get what they want then.
Please do, you'll be doing us a huge favour, but our masters in Westminster are hell bent on keeping hold of us, I wonder why?
Old 08 May 2015, 09:04 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I fully understand people in England are suffering, just as Scots are. Someone mentioned in another thread that it only took 1.5 million votes for the SNP to get the 57 seats and said it wasn't a fair system, ok fair enough.

But we have voted Labour time and time again, only to be be defeated by the way England votes, and that isn't exactly fair either.

We (the Scots) have to try and mitigate some of the damage the Tories are doing, and I'm sorry to say it, but it really shouldn't be our responsibility to save England from itself.

I don't feel "divided" from those in England. I just don't want to be goverened as a result of the votes in England.

The two "nationalisms" could not be more polar opposites of each other.
One is civic nationalism: the idea that the resources of a country should benefit everyone living in that country, irrespective of creed, colour or religion.
The racial nationalism of the 19th (and the Kippers) is about thinking yourself as superior to others.

Last edited by RA Dunk; 08 May 2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08 May 2015, 09:23 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Love the sheeple that vote tory. I am afraid if you have to work for a living you are going to be worse off but if you own Amazon, Rolls Royce Costa or a Bank you will be quid's in at the sheeples expense.

David Cameron is set to sell NHS to Virgin enjoy paying £100 a month for something you already own. I remember the Gas sell off the "Tell Sid ". I remember seeing a billboard that had graffiti on it in the east end of Glasgow with the "Tell Sid "gas share promo saying "Tell Sid he already f*cking owns it".

Middle England need a reality check New Labour had theirs last night. Scotland has spoken we will not put up with austerity cuts for 5 years (trust me ) But a point to ponder Scotland Ireland and wales never voted for David Cameron so bleat on about Proportional Representation all you want the message I seen last night was F*UCK the UK, and leave Tory England to it.
Old 08 May 2015, 10:02 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

If you Scots want another referendum, let the English vote on it too. Plenty of English would vote for Scotland to be independent.
Old 08 May 2015, 10:09 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
If you Scots want another referendum, let the English vote on it too. Plenty of English would vote for Scotland to be independent.
Wasn't us who stopped you lot voting on it, it was your lot who wouldnt allow you to do it. we would as soon be shot of you than you would be of us it works both ways lol.

Hopefully we will get another one of them referendum things soon ,but a fair one this time.
Old 08 May 2015, 10:10 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

We did alright before the last 308 years and we will do all right to eternity. If we are such a burden why did Mr Cameron and the Queen have such a good day after the no vote ?, the Queen has been off loading the commonwealth ***** nilly why hang on to Scotland if its a burden ?.
Old 08 May 2015, 10:20 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
We did alright before the last 308 years and we will do all right to eternity. If we are such a burden why did Mr Cameron and the Queen have such a good day after the no vote ?, the Queen has been off loading the commonwealth ***** nilly why hang on to Scotland if its a burden ?.
I'm not saying it's a burden. I'm simply saying that plenty of English would vote for Scottish independence. That could be out of sympathy for the cause, rather than seeing Scotland as a burden.
Old 08 May 2015, 10:24 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
David Cameron is set to sell NHS to Virgin enjoy paying £100 a month for something you already own. I remember the Gas sell off the "Tell Sid ". I remember seeing a billboard that had graffiti on it in the east end of Glasgow with the "Tell Sid "gas share promo saying "Tell Sid he already f*cking owns it".
How true!

Like the **** telling us how he's going to sell off the taxpayer's interest in Lloyds at a lower than market value so we can all make some money on it in order to buy votes. We have already paid for it you scheming ****!
Old 08 May 2015, 10:25 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I'm not saying it's a burden. I'm simply saying that plenty of English would vote for Scottish independence. That could be out of sympathy for the cause, rather than seeing Scotland as a burden.
Originally Posted by dpb
Is the Barnet formula still providing for them
It was for this response, take 100% of all that's good in Scotland and give back 20% and say its getting twice of what England gets
Old 09 May 2015, 07:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well now the dust is starting to settle it seems that Mr. Cameron is going to have a major problem with Scotland.

Despite Nicola Sturgeon's denial that another referendum will be had given the swing to SNP and the likely increased sense of isolation and difference of values that will appear in the next few years given that Cameron has zero real interest in the Scots I think (as do many other more qualified commentators) that another referendum is likely within the next 5 years.

In the meantime the UK government need to prevent the union being broken up by resentment and pigheadedness. After the referendum and this result in the election a lot of Scotland are not going to like a Westminster government dominated by English Tories (neither do I as it happens).

The other problem is that the amount Cameron ended up having to give away in devolved powers etc. to the Scots in order to keep them in the Union as he seriously misjudged the whole referendum campaign until it was nearly too late has led to a lot of little Englanders growing resentment of a Scottish nation they see has getting way too much preferential treatment!

It's a powder keg and preventing it from exploding is going to be very tricky for Cameron, personally I hope he fails and it all blows up in his face as the Scots and many of us in England deserve better than this self serving bunch of liars running the country.... any chance the SNP could stand in England next time?

Last edited by f1_fan; 09 May 2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09 May 2015, 08:22 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Well now the dust is starting to settle it seems that Mr. Cameron is going to have a major problem with Scotland.

Despite Nicola Sturgeon's denial that another referendum will be had given the swing to SNP and the likely increased sense of isolation and difference of values that will appear in the next few years given that Cameron has zero real interest in the Scots I think (as do many other more qualified commentators) that another referendum is likely within the next 5 years.

In the meantime the UK government need to prevent the union being broken up by resentment and pigheadedness. After the referendum and this result in the election a lot of Scotland are not going to like a Westminster government dominated by English Tories (neither do I as it happens).

The other problem is that the amount Cameron ended up having to give away in devolved powers etc. to the Scots in order to keep them in the Union as he seriously misjudged the whole referendum campaign until it was nearly too late has led to a lot of little Englanders growing resentment of a Scottish nation they see has getting way too much preferential treatment!

It's a powder keg and preventing it from exploding is going to be very tricky for Cameron, personally I hope he fails and it all blows up in his face as the Scots and many of us in England deserve better than this self serving bunch of liars running the country.... any chance the SNP could stand in England next time?
After referendum (not during) was the major swing to the SNP, We were promised all kinds of new powers in the Vow which they failed to deliver, Labour jumped into the bed with the Tories during the referendum which has ultimately caused the demise of Labour in Scotland.

The people who would normally vote Labour all went to the SNP after they got shafted by Labour, so Labour shot themselves in the foot and have no one else to blame for they're own downfall.

Another thing people have picked up on is we have no real significance when it comes to voting 1979, 1983, 1987, 1992, 2012 we voted Labour but got Tories anyway because England voted for it.

You're right it is actually a powder keg, be interesting to see what comes of it in the future, I'm still cringing at the thought of another five years under that ******..

Click image for larger version

Name:	MXJ1xaL.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	74137
Old 09 May 2015, 08:40 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Can someone explain to me how it can be right that Scotland will have devolved powers AND have 56 seats in Westminster????

They want to manage their own affairs, that's fine, then don't meddle with English matters and politics.

IMHO they can't have it both ways.

Rant over
Old 09 May 2015, 08:45 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt-c

They think they can , always have done.

Personally, let them become their own state and dig a trench on the border, then charge admission to England.
Old 09 May 2015, 09:01 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

They want to manage their own affairs, that's fine, then don't meddle with English matters and politics.

Why not you lot have been meddling with our affairs for three hundred years, and you lot have had it your own way, what a totally ignorant thing to say..
Old 09 May 2015, 09:06 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
You're right it is actually a powder keg, be interesting to see what comes of it in the future, I'm still cringing at the thought of another five years under that ******..
Me too, I really hope the Scots get their independence and it works out for them. They are generally very good people in my experience and I like their sense of patriotism, it's not without a sense of self criticism in places unlike that displayed by the English!
Old 09 May 2015, 09:10 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Can someone explain to me how it can be right that Scotland will have devolved powers AND have 56 seats in Westminster????

Rant over
Who are you ranting at? Not the Scots I hope? You can blame Blair, Miliband and Cameron for the situation, no one else. Cameron was a blind fool over the referendum and nearly didn't realise what was happening until it was too late. Miliband should have stayed neutral, but like an idiot sided with Camo and killed his party in Scotland and probably in England too in the long run! Salmond out manoeuvred everyone and is a very astute politician, Sturgeon seems to be as good if not better! Well played to them
Old 09 May 2015, 09:12 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Yup, I think the in/out EU referendum vote (yes that one Camoron promised lol) will be a deciding factor in it, if England vote out and Scotland vote in (alot of the lefty lentil munching retards are Pro-EU up here) then it will get even more interesting, me I'm pretty much anti EU and anti Westminster as well so god knows how I'll go on that one!
Old 09 May 2015, 09:20 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Who are you ranting at? Not the Scots I hope? You can blame Blair, Miliband and Cameron for the situation, no one else. Cameron was a blind fool over the referendum and nearly didn't realise what was happening until it was too late. Miliband should have stayed neutral, but like an idiot sided with Camo and killed his party in Scotland and probably in England too in the long run! Salmond out manoeuvred everyone and is a very astute politician, Sturgeon seems to be as good if not better! Well played to them
Pretty much hit the nail on the head, at least Sturgeon can think for herself to gain votes rather than lick someones ar$e for a single vote. Between her and Salmond they make a formidable pair of politicians, and I actually think they are smarter than any of the main politicians down south.
Old 09 May 2015, 09:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Pretty much hit the nail on the head, at least Sturgeon can think for herself to gain votes rather than lick someones ar$e for a single vote. Between her and Salmond they make a formidable pair of politicians, and I actually think they are smarter than any of the main politicians down south.
Absolutely, not that that would be too hard
Old 09 May 2015, 09:21 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Whether they ask for again or get independence I really couldn't care. What I am sick of hearing though is the constant griping about "voting Labour but getting Tories". So ****ing what. I'm sure that in every election for the past hundred years far more people have voted Labour south of the border than live in the whole of Scotland, and guess what, around 50% of the time they've got Tories too!

In actual fact, in this very election, more people south of the border voted Green and UKIP than in the entire Scottish electorate combined, but do we hear them griping at every last opportunity about only getting a pair of MPs between them? No!

If all they want to do is whinge about life being sooooo unfair, let them leave and see what it's like when they no longer have the easy option of blaming anything that goes wrong on the rest of the UK.
Old 09 May 2015, 09:23 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Whether they ask for again or get independence I really couldn't care. What I am sick of hearing though is the constant griping about "voting Labour but getting Tories". So ****ing what. I'm sure that in every election for the past hundred years far more people have voted Labour south of the border than live in the whole of Scotland, and guess what, around 50% of the time they've got Tories too!

In actual fact, in this very election, more people south of the border voted Green and UKIP than in the entire Scottish electorate combined, but do we hear them griping at every last opportunity about only getting a pair of MPs between them? No!

If all they want to do is whinge about life being sooooo unfair, let them leave and see what it's like when they no longer have the easy option of blaming anything that goes wrong on the rest of the UK.
They tried to leave, your beloved Tories stopped them by bribing a few of them!
Old 09 May 2015, 09:33 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

They tried to leave, your beloved Tories stopped them by bribing a few of them!
Point 1, I don't remember telling anyone here who I voted for, point 2, like I already said, if you or they are so convinced the last referendum was rigged (and I'd love to see the proof of this), let them have another one, it's really no skin off my nose.
Old 09 May 2015, 10:07 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I care as much about what Scotland do as I care about what France does, just not on my radar TBH.

I'd like to see them get what they want if only for the entertainment value, whether they do well or not doesn't concern me, it would be interesting to watch how it goes for them.

I do have a feeling that it's one thing for them to show their distain for the English politicians much like the English do in By-elections, but it's a different kettle of fish when it comes to voting out of the Union whether the be UK or Europe.

In my eyes they have a very vocal minority with many sympathisers that will nod and agree with the Nationalist sentiments, but when it comes to putting a X in the out box they lack confidence in their Politicians / Scotlands ability to stand alone on the world stage, which I think is a point of view that has merit.

Quick Reply: Scotland - what now?