Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scotland - what now?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2015, 07:40 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
Will be interesting to see if Cameron's EU in/out referendum will trigger another Scottish Independence referendum; rUK supposedly want out whilst the Scots want to remain. Maybe the electorate will save Cameron from himself and the UK also votes to stay in. Jean-Claude Juncker has already promised to work with Cameron in "striking a fair deal" for the UK in Cameron's renegotiation on the back of his election victory. But then again Brussels plans to force the UK to accept tens of thousands migrants from the Med.
I think it would be a huge issue for the UK if we voted to leave, it would give a huge boost to the independence movement.
That said I don't think there's a chance in hell that we would vote to leave; time will tell though.
Old 11 May 2015, 08:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
But then again Brussels plans to force the UK to accept tens of thousands migrants from the Med.
Which is fair enough seeing as Cameron created the situation in Libya!
Old 11 May 2015, 08:40 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
you can't say that.
Old 11 May 2015, 09:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Devildog
Salmond has alway liked his theatrics Jeff. And the "daft bint", as you so eloquently put it fully understands the mechanics.

Cameron will have to listen. Of course he can steamroller what he wants (assuming back bench support) but does he really want to alienate Scotland to that degree?
Why not? I'd have thought that 56/59 MP's being from the SNP is two fingers to England anyway, so what's to lose?

Maybe...just maybe...this all might come back to bite you Jocks.
Old 11 May 2015, 09:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
you can't say that.
Old 11 May 2015, 10:26 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I think it would be a huge issue for the UK if we voted to leave, it would give a huge boost to the independence movement.
That said I don't think there's a chance in hell that we would vote to leave; time will tell though.
YouGov poll shows that the UK are still in favour of staying within the EU, but then again, the polls indicated a hung parliament for this election rather than an outright (narrow) majority for the Conservatives. I guess a lot will depend on the terms of the renegotiation that Cameron has in plan, hopefull, those will be laid out before the referendum. As with the Scottish referendum, a lot can happen between now and the EU referendum.
Old 12 May 2015, 08:46 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Listening to the analysis this morning Juncker says he is happy to talk to Cameron, but that there will be no negotiation on the freedom of movement within the EU and Cameron says his priority is to change the freedom of movement within the EU in respect to the UK. I see trouble ahead ... great stuff
Old 12 May 2015, 09:50 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
Why not? I'd have thought that 56/59 MP's being from the SNP is two fingers to England anyway, so what's to lose?

Maybe...just maybe...this all might come back to bite you Jocks.
Jeff

I appreciate you struggle to have a civilised conversation coming form Scunthorpe, but I can't help but detect a little disdain in your tone which is wholly unecessary here.

Please understand that contrary to certain sectors of the media and UKIP's preachings we Scots collectively don't hate the English. What we do, however, is love our country and its culture. And we are quite defensive of that. Admittedly over defensive at times.

56 SNP seats is not two fingers to England. Its a big group hug for Scotland. And that's something that the fearmongers in the English media can never get their heads around so I'm hoping that you now can.

You asked "what's to lose"

Well, in real terms there's Scotlands contribution to GDP. And as I've posted earlier (if you had read it?) the GVA per capita of Scotland which is higher than of the UK average excluding tax revenues from oil and higher than all but the city of london including those tax revenues from oil (irrespective of the oil price drop)

So without Scotland, the City of London would have to subsidise YOU (and most of the rest of England and all of Wales) more than it does now.

I'm sure there are many other losses here, after all why were Cameron, Milleband and Clegg so desperate to keep Scotland part of the union, because I don't buy the "history" line.

Last edited by Devildog; 12 May 2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12 May 2015, 11:20 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

We may be geographically smaller and have a much lower population, however Scotland's gross value added per person (excluding oil revenues) is over £1,000 higher than than the UK average and would be significantly higher than that of England and the rest of the UK when those revenues are included.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_GVA_per_capita, excluding oil revenues, Scotland is £2k a year worse.

Like most statistics, I imagine you can cut it any way you want. Obviously the oil revenue makes a difference to the figure by quite some margin, but Nort Sea oil is taking a bit of a hammering at the mo with the low price of oil.

It would be interesting to see how hard Whitehall would fight to retain the Union if the new oil fields found in England are as promising as they seem.

Last edited by Geezer; 12 May 2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12 May 2015, 11:30 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
According to this, excluding oil revenues, Scotland is £2k a year worse.

Like most statistics, I imagine you can cut it any way you want. Obviously the oil revenue makes a difference to the figure by quite some margin, but Nort Sea oil is taking a bit of a hammering at the mo with the low price of oil.

It would be interesting to see how hard Whitehall would fight to retain the Union if the new oil fields found in England are as promising as they seem.
UK average is £20,800. Scotland is £21,982. Thats £1,182 better Geezer

Last edited by Devildog; 12 May 2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12 May 2015, 12:35 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Jeff

I appreciate you struggle to have a civilised conversation coming form Scunthorpe, but I can't help but detect a little disdain in your tone which is wholly unecessary here.

Please understand that contrary to certain sectors of the media and UKIP's preachings we Scots collectively don't hate the English. What we do, however, is love our country and its culture. And we are quite defensive of that. Admittedly over defensive at times.

56 SNP seats is not two fingers to England. Its a big group hug for Scotland. And that's something that the fearmongers in the English media can never get their heads around so I'm hoping that you now can.

Well, in real terms there's Scotlands contribution to GDP. And as I've posted earlier (if you had read it?) the GVA per capita of Scotland which is higher than of the UK average excluding tax revenues from oil and higher than all but the city of london including those tax revenues from oil (irrespective of the oil price drop)

So without Scotland, the City of London would have to subsidise YOU (and most of the rest of England and all of Wales) more than it does now.

I'm sure there are many other losses here, after all why were Cameron, Milleband and Clegg so desperate to keep Scotland part of the union, because I don't buy the "history" line.
Seriously?? If you really believe that, can we count on you to come out strongly against the Yes campaign, if and when the Nationalists start demanding another independence referendum?
Old 12 May 2015, 12:45 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

So what? The England average is £24,091, which means in reality all Scotland is doing is helping out in a limited way to subsidize the far lower averages in Northern-Ireland and Wales. Would anyone really notice much if it stopped? I don't think so.
Old 12 May 2015, 12:56 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Seriously?? If you really believe that, can we count on you to come out strongly against the Yes campaign, if and when the Nationalists start demanding another independence referendum?

You really need to start understanding that for the vast majority of Scottish Nationalists, independence isn't about hating England, Wales or Northern Ireland. It's about believing that an independent Scotland can do a better job of running its affairs than Westminster can.

Perhaps you should stop reading the propaganda that is the Telegraph and have a graeter understanding of reality before spouting forth?
Old 12 May 2015, 12:59 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thick as pig****
I didn't claim that you imbecile! Instead of calling me stupid go and find another braincell as the one you have is lonely!

The clue is the 2.7% figure in my post! FFS I really wonder how ****s like you remember to keep breathing!
Shall I quote you again you ****ing imbecile???

Originally Posted by Thick as pig**** again
They tried to leave, your beloved Tories stopped them by bribing a few of them!
But let's not let your stupidity, ignorance and full on brown nosing get in the way of you being a dick

But of course 2,001,926 Scots may be 'a few' in your tiny mind.

Jog on
Old 12 May 2015, 01:01 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

Oh FFS, you're a bigger bellend than I thought

And a post where you've not brown nosed to us Scots!! I'm disappointed.
Old 12 May 2015, 01:03 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
So what? The England average is £24,091, which means in reality all Scotland is doing is helping out in a limited way to subsidize the far lower averages in Northern-Ireland and Wales. Would anyone really notice much if it stopped? I don't think so.
Look at the numbers. England's average is massively skewed by the City of London. Scotland's average is higher than most of England.

So using your own assertion, Scotland is also helping subsidise most of England too.

In a limited way or not, ist still a positive contribution.

I was invited to explain why I hold a certain position in all this - which I did. What's you problem with it anyway? (Apart from an unhealthy dose of paranoia and a clear inability to think for yourself)
Old 12 May 2015, 01:08 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Yes, sorry, I misread your initial post. It's us Welsh dragging the average down

The English on their own are loads dosh.
Old 12 May 2015, 01:12 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Yes, sorry, I misread your initial post. It's us Welsh dragging the average down

The English on their own are loads dosh.
And I thought sheep values were on the up
Old 12 May 2015, 01:13 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
Shall I quote you again you ****ing imbecile???

But let's not let your stupidity, ignorance and full on brown nosing get in the way of you being a dick

But of course 2,001,926 Scots may be 'a few' in your tiny mind.

Jog on

Right let's try this again.

You state that 55.3% voted against independence and therefore I am claiming that 55.3% (2,001,926) were bribed which is not 'a few'.

The problem for you is that is not what I am claiming.

Anything more than 50% would have seen the referendum go the other way meaning that if 2.7% had voted the other way the referendum would have been in favour of a Yes.

Hence my assertion that a few were bribed by promises of more devolved powers etc. from the Three Amigos (Camo, Miliband and Clegg).

2.7% = 98K out of a population of nearly 4.3million eligible to vote = A FEW

Now apologise you ignorant thick ****!
Old 12 May 2015, 01:18 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Look at the numbers. England's average is massively skewed by the City of London. Scotland's average is higher than most of England.

So using your own assertion, Scotland is also helping subsidise most of England too.

In a limited way or not, ist still a positive contribution.

I was invited to explain why I hold a certain position in all this - which I did. What's you problem with it anyway? (Apart from an unhealthy dose of paranoia and a clear inability to think for yourself)
Could you not argue that the Scottish figure is skewed by Edinburgh and Glasgow? The rest of Scotland is hardly an industrial heartland. There will always be areas that out perform, you can only take an average. Even if London and the South East keep the figures up, they are not going to separate from England, so they count towards the lot.

And I thought sheep values were on the up
You can't put monetary value on beauty........
Old 12 May 2015, 01:30 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ******** #1
Now apologise you ignorant thick ****!
Apologise for what? For you being a ****? Nah.

Read again what you said -

Originally Posted by ******** #1
They tried to leave, your beloved Tories stopped them by bribing a few of them!
The MAJORITY didn't want to leave. It's not a few. Unless you mean all those who voted to remain in the Union were bribed

Dick!

Come on, I'm a Scot, I'm bent over, where's your nose
Old 12 May 2015, 01:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The MAJORITY didn't want to leave. It's not a few. Unless you mean all those who voted to remain in the Union were bribed

Dick!

The question you should be asking is where is your brain as it certainly isn't evident you have one from your posts here.

Genuinely serious comment btw, not banter, but I really didn't think anyone could be as stupid as you and be able to use a computer.

You can call me all the names you want, but it won't change the fact you are one utter cretin who is unable to understand basic English and mathematics.
Old 12 May 2015, 02:34 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Dick!

I have to side with Chris here - you're being a bit dumb.

Look at it another way. 45% wanted independence. Had 5.1% more voted "Yes" its a "Yes" majority. Its that 5.1% that are key. Sway that 5.1% to "No" and boom, you have a "No" majority.

Taking the bribe point, all the better together campaign had to do was sway no more than that 5.1%. Not sway 2,001,926, many of whom will have been no irrespective of the fearmongering.
Old 12 May 2015, 02:54 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

at 65 a barrel and no sign of it going north of 100 anytime soon, scotland would be in as much financial poo as greece if they were independant
Old 12 May 2015, 05:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Jeff

Ah, you misunderstand me...some of my best firends are Sweaties.......and I'm serious, Harvey Smith was for one!

Perhaps I'm just p*ssed that it's so right, decent and admired to be nationalistic in Scotland, wales or Northern Ireland....yet if I do it, I'm racist?

I'll try, I promise...

Ah, again, internet strikes. My "what's to lose" was in respect of what has Cameron to lose if he pisses off the Jocks in....sorry, the Sweaties in.....sorry the Scots in parliament? They'll up and leave? Aye, right....as you lot would say.

Muahahahahahahahahahaa...not according to THEIR figures, in fact I'd be far better off....but it's immaterial anyway, since the b@stards would spend it all on London and the SE anyway...see I really DO hate THAT region, it's ignorant people (sorry, "peepoo"), and their stupid accent.........

Milliband and Clegg, unsure, wouldn't trust either to tell me today is Tuesday. Milliband MIGHT have foreseen the debacle that has now come about for Liebour up there and tried to win votes. Clegg...well he's too thick to have seen owt. I wish the people of Sheffield Hallam had got rid.

But as for Cam-Moron, you ARE aware that he's the leader of the Conservative AND UNIONIST Party, are you not?

Seriously, now, I have nowt against 99.99% of you Scots, (or Welsh, or Norn Irish), it just p1sses me off big time to be labelled racist for loving MY country, England and wanting to honour MY flag...then get labelled racist.

Yet you lot do it for your countries, flags and saints and that's GOOD!

Not your fault, I know, but........
Old 12 May 2015, 05:44 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

You really need to start understanding that for the vast majority of Scottish Nationalists, independence isn't about hating England, Wales or Northern Ireland. It's about believing that an independent Scotland can do a better job of running its affairs than Westminster can.

Perhaps you should stop reading the propaganda that is the Telegraph and have a graeter understanding of reality before spouting forth?
I've put this argument across umpteen times on here now, it's just not sinking in with them, looks like it's mission accomplished for the English media with the smear and brainwashing campaign.
Old 12 May 2015, 06:51 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I've put this argument across umpteen times on here now, it's just not sinking in with them, looks like it's mission accomplished for the English media with the smear and brainwashing campaign.
Don't worry you're safe.
Old 12 May 2015, 08:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ah........but perhaps we could if we didn't see Scottish politicians rabble rousing their electorate with statements like, "The Scottish lion has roared", and "The Scots have spoken, the English MPs MUST now listen!"
Old 12 May 2015, 08:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Ah........but perhaps we could if we didn't see Scottish politicians rabble rousing their electorate with statements like, "The Scottish lion has roared", and "The Scots have spoken, the English MPs MUST now listen!"

they can;t afford anything, but they have roared lol
Old 12 May 2015, 08:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

They'll be doing a different kind of roaring when they realise they STILL have zero power........

Quick Reply: Scotland - what now?