Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

We've become a world of self-obsessed/"selfie" taking people....

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2015, 08:18 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We've become a world of self-obsessed/"selfie" taking people....

My girlfriend and I have have spent a mini break away in Barcelona this Easter week and what we both couldn't help and notice is the amount of people with cameras and phones. I know that pretty much everyone has a camera or a smart phone (or both) but literally every single person from the ages of 4 all the way up to 80 had one or both while out and about. Before, say about 5+ years ago, if a family or couple went on holiday it would usually just be one person with the camera and they'd have the responsibility of taking all the holiday shots; now it's every single person!

...and it's not just that. A lot of them will take a picture on their camera and then immediately after a picture on their phone! This was particularly more noticeable with the Chinese for some reason? Do people not know how to transfer pictures from their camera on their laptop/computer? I guess it's because they want to immediately upload a picture off their phone and onto their social media page.

...and another thing! "Selfie sticks!" At first I thought that they were a pretty handy invention e.g. not having to ask someone to take a picture of you both which can result in an out of focus, poorly cropped photo, but after seeing the type of people that use them, I would never go and buy one now. While outside admiring the Sagrada Família, I literally watched one girl spend 10 minutes with a selfie stick trying to get the perfect snap of herself, obviously wanting to immediately upload to social media. Every time someone walked past behind her and got in her way, she'd give them a really mean stare and quickly look back with a smile into her phone . Another girl I noticed didn't spend quite as long, but she forced herself to laugh in front of her selfie stick obviously trying to capture a giggle mid-motion for social media of course.

Anyway, we did have a really good time and visited and admired a lot of things, but it was just one thing we couldn't help but notice. Sad really.

Here's a picture I took on my camera, the ceiling of the Sagrada Família, fantastic place if you haven't visited .

Last edited by LSherratt; 04 April 2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04 April 2015, 08:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The ultimate example of self obsessed building lol
Old 04 April 2015, 08:36 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've become a nation of people so self obsessed and far up our own ***** nowadays, even young males have become almost like girls when it comes to they're looks.
Old 04 April 2015, 08:52 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
The ultimate example of self obsessed building lol
Very good point but a bit different to what I'm talking about . I guess it's a case of "who can build the most impressive thing in the world."
Old 04 April 2015, 11:20 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The human race as we know is dooooooomed.

Obviously the technically savvy will have a high-quality camera with built in Facebook uploading, and will Wifi to the mobile phone which is setup to act as a mobile hotspot so pics are automatically uploaded. You can't expect sheeple to manage that level of complication.

Not that I do that.: I have an old Canon A650IS, that takes AA batteries. Still better pics than the iPhone.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 April 2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04 April 2015, 12:15 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

There is a girl on Facebook who posts 'perfect' pictures, usually with some comment to say she is in some far away fairytale land being showered with diamonds etc..
Sunsets, expensive bottles of bubbly with the label conveniently in-picture. Job title with 'director of..' in the script etc.. Zzzzzz
Please!

Great ceiling picture btw. Always a difficult shot due to indoor lighting etc.
Old 04 April 2015, 01:18 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Went to a rather posh restaurant the other night.'perfect couple' on table nearby

She spent the whole night fiddling with her telephone.lol
Old 04 April 2015, 06:39 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

I hate people who constantly take selfies, especially when they're ugly. Also people taking pics of their fooking tea!! And worse, taking pics of their kids eating the fooking slop they have produced!!! What the f*ck is wrong with people. It's even worse at Christmas!!!!!
Old 04 April 2015, 06:45 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Their own self obsessed idolisation, making fat fashionable and acceptable.
Old 04 April 2015, 07:40 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was in New York and every idiot has a selfie stick, the only time I could ever think a selfie stick would of been usefull for me was when I went to see Tutankhamun in the Egyptian museum as it was that busy if I fainted I wouldn't of fell over so a selfie stick would of got me a picture although I doubt I would of been able to put my arms down once I had took the picture as it was that friggin busy.
Old 04 April 2015, 08:33 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt

Here's a picture I took on my camera, the ceiling of the Sagrada Família, fantastic place if you haven't visited .
Is this finished yet I was in Barcelona 15 years ago and they were still building it. Think they started building it in the 17th century.
Old 04 April 2015, 10:58 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

It should be called " were all fvcked up book!" Stupid people put there sad lives on the www! What a fvcking load of jokers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 April 2015, 11:00 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlatoutDave
It should be called " were all fvcked up book!" Stupid people put there sad lives on the www! What a fvcking load of jokers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh! Unless they own a Subaru of course
Old 04 April 2015, 11:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

LSh, good pic, and slight modification with light can make it look like a rib cage of a goth mammal.

People obsessed with selfies are looking for attention and recognition. "Look, this is ME there " Their need for attention is simply insatiable. Then again, if the photos of the places they visit doesn't involve them, then who is to say they've been to it? Also, you don't have to ask a passer-by to waste their time in taking your out-of-focus mugshot on the pi$$, so there are plus points to this self picturing act, which need not become an obsession.
Old 04 April 2015, 11:18 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

There are that many pickpockets in Barcelona that my mobile phone didn't leave the apartment at all during my last visit.

As for what's wrong with selfies, two words say it all: Kim Kardashian.
Old 04 April 2015, 11:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I thought a Kardashian was everything that is wrong with selfies

Old 05 April 2015, 06:31 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Whats a selfie stick?!
Old 05 April 2015, 07:02 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Whats a selfie stick?!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monopod-Se...item4d2a8c12d9
Old 05 April 2015, 10:44 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you've been stalking kids
Old 05 April 2015, 11:23 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Whats a selfie stick?!
That's for you to buy on Ebay next time, Loz. . Then you can take your own pictures on your new iPhone 5 with reasonable distancing of the camera from yourself, with a prop or two in the back, better visible in your selfie. Another benefit is that your camera holding arm will not show the lift in your own picture, to make you look like some 'I just sooooo love myself!' poser. Nothing complicated about that stick, so it shouldn't really contribute to your technophobia, and taking pictures on iPhone 5 is a piece of p1$$ as it is.
Old 05 April 2015, 11:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Whats a selfie stick?!
It's a stick onto which you mount your Ł500 smartphone so you can hold it about a metre and a half away from you to give the drive by cycling smartphone thief an easy way to steal your phone without risk of clouting you as he whips it out of your hand. HTH
Old 05 April 2015, 01:10 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

lol.lol
Old 05 April 2015, 06:06 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
It's a stick onto which you mount your Ł500 smartphone so you can hold it about a metre and a half away from you to give the drive by cycling smartphone thief an easy way to steal your phone without risk of clouting you as he whips it out of your hand. HTH
I made one myself, in order to save my money. I tied my iPhone to a garden cane, held that cane in my left hand, and moved it a metre and a half away from me; facing the camera to me, of course. But then my right hand wouldn't reach the iPhone due to the distance, in order to click for the picture taking. So, I had to tie another metre and a half long stick to my right hand, in order to poke my iPhone to capture my mug. Even if I had stuck the main stick into the ground and freed my left hand, I still would have essentially needed another stick to poke the iPhone.

What I'm trying to ask is how this Selfie taking works, just with one Selfie Stick thingy that they sell on Ebay. Or, does it come with another stick.
Old 05 April 2015, 06:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I made one myself, in order to save my money. I tied my iPhone to a garden cane, held that cane in my left hand, and moved it a metre and a half away from me; facing the camera to me, of course. But then my right hand wouldn't reach the iPhone due to the distance, in order to click for the picture taking. So, I had to tie another metre and a half long stick to my right hand, in order to poke my iPhone to capture my mug. Even if I had stuck the main stick into the ground and freed my left hand, I still would have essentially needed another stick to poke the iPhone.

What I'm trying to ask is how this Selfie taking works, just with one Selfie Stick thingy that they sell on Ebay. Or, does it come with another stick.
You either have to set the self timer for manual sticks or you get a bluetooth enabled remote control either with it or separately to allow you to take the picture.
Old 05 April 2015, 07:02 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The scene always cracks me up.
Old 05 April 2015, 07:28 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We've become a world of self-obsessed people
Fify
Old 05 April 2015, 07:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

You either have to set the self timer for manual sticks or you get a bluetooth enabled remote control either with it or separately to allow you to take the picture.
Oh, right!

Thanks, f1.
Old 05 April 2015, 11:15 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend and I have have spent a mini break away in Barcelona this Easter week and what we both couldn't help and notice is the amount of people with cameras and phones. I know that pretty much everyone has a camera or a smart phone (or both) but literally every single person from the ages of 4 all the way up to 80 had one or both while out and about. Before, say about 5+ years ago, if a family or couple went on holiday it would usually just be one person with the camera and they'd have the responsibility of taking all the holiday shots; now it's every single person!

...and it's not just that. A lot of them will take a picture on their camera and then immediately after a picture on their phone! This was particularly more noticeable with the Chinese for some reason? Do people not know how to transfer pictures from their camera on their laptop/computer? I guess it's because they want to immediately upload a picture off their phone and onto their social media page.

...and another thing! "Selfie sticks!" At first I thought that they were a pretty handy invention e.g. not having to ask someone to take a picture of you both which can result in an out of focus, poorly cropped photo, but after seeing the type of people that use them, I would never go and buy one now. While outside admiring the Sagrada Família, I literally watched one girl spend 10 minutes with a selfie stick trying to get the perfect snap of herself, obviously wanting to immediately upload to social media. Every time someone walked past behind her and got in her way, she'd give them a really mean stare and quickly look back with a smile into her phone . Another girl I noticed didn't spend quite as long, but she forced herself to laugh in front of her selfie stick obviously trying to capture a giggle mid-motion for social media of course.

Anyway, we did have a really good time and visited and admired a lot of things, but it was just one thing we couldn't help but notice. Sad really.

Is this that place that looks like Skeletors Castle?
Old 06 April 2015, 08:57 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

To be honest i was quite dissapointed with the Familia, seems to be just a touristy attraction these days with fibre glass blocks masquerading as stone being lifted up then returned to the floor for the next day. Barcelona cathedral was more interesting I think. The highlight for me being a foodie was the Boqueria market which is supposedly the worlds greatest and you can see why, did you go there? its just off the Ramblas.
Old 06 April 2015, 08:55 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

No we didn't. We only went for 2 nights and didn't really have time to do anything else. We did Sagrada Familia, Casa Batlló, Park Güell, Chocolate Museum and the Erotic Museum . On top of those main attractions we did a boat trip and a lot of walking up and down La Rambla etc . My legs were killing at the end of it all but well worth it!

Anyway, as with any 'tourist' destination, most places are just that, tourist destinations and attractions to rake in the money for suckers like us .

Quick Reply: We've become a world of self-obsessed/"selfie" taking people....