Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay - winning bidder not wanting item

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2014, 11:08 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay - winning bidder not wanting item

This has happened twice now in 7 days - 2 different items and 2 different "buyers" who bid and win the items then say they don't want them. Really annoying - anything I can do about this ? Will I get charged fees by eBay for "selling" the items etc ? Should I open an unpaid dispute thing ?

Cheers

Ro.
Old 18 December 2014, 11:11 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Yeah if you report them you can repost for free
Old 18 December 2014, 11:26 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

You can offer them to the 2nd highest bidder, the option is in your listing settings, think it's called 2nd chance offer or something like that.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 18 December 2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 18 December 2014, 11:58 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
You can offer them to the 2nd highest bidder, the option is in your listing settings, think it's called 2nd chance offer or something like that.

Been there and done that myself. Sold a computer to the highest bidder on E-bay to a couple who put in the bids as they didn't know if the computer they ordered elsewhere would make it to them in time, to take to their Daughter they were visiting whilst she was at University? In the end they won and came back to say they didn't want it anymore and thought they weren't doing anything wrong
Anyways tried the 2nd bidder in the chain, and he tried it on by trying to ask to buy the item for less money than his highest bid. Short story in the end the 2nd bidder accused me of being a scammer and basically told me to do one Good luck
Old 19 December 2014, 12:24 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I've had this happen to me selling my old iPhone. I had to adjust my eBay settings to basically stop people bidding if they had low feedback numbers. You can set it to whatever you want I believe. I set mine to more than 10 feedback and also kept a close eye on bidders. Check their feedback and ensure they're active with recent transactions. If they have low numbers, poor feedback or are inactive for long periods I cancel their bids and block them. Works for me. Keeps nuisance bidders away 99% of the time.
Old 19 December 2014, 11:51 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by piehole1983
I've had this happen to me selling my old iPhone. I had to adjust my eBay settings to basically stop people bidding if they had low feedback numbers. You can set it to whatever you want I believe. I set mine to more than 10 feedback and also kept a close eye on bidders. Check their feedback and ensure they're active with recent transactions. If they have low numbers, poor feedback or are inactive for long periods I cancel their bids and block them. Works for me. Keeps nuisance bidders away 99% of the time.
That's what my Father does and what I do from now on. We had a complete nightmare trying to sell an old Samsung S4. I had it twice on my ebay and both times the winning bidders didn't pay. My Father listed it on his ebay and the same thing happened again! 3 times in total. In the end we kept an eye on it and cancelled loads of bids who we thought weren't going to pay based on feedback and their score. 4th time it eventually sold... So much hassle to sell a mobile! Also no offence, but they all seemed to be foreigners/Asian type.
Old 19 December 2014, 12:04 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

+1 with the foreign bidders living here. All the ones I had hassle with were foreign.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

English, then? LOL.

I exclude any bids from outside the UK.

Don't ever forget that some items carry punitive delivery costs to Highlands and Islands, so get those excluded or they have to ask for an estimate first.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can tell they're "darkies" from an eBay listing. ...??

Old 21 December 2014, 07:32 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
English, then? LOL.

I exclude any bids from outside the UK.

Don't ever forget that some items carry punitive delivery costs to Highlands and Islands, so get those excluded or they have to ask for an estimate first.

I don't understand sellers who do this. There is no extra charge if you use Royal Mail over a cheap *** courier. Covers highlands and islands inc N.I even for heavy items up to 30 kilos
Old 21 December 2014, 08:11 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
You can tell they're "darkies" from an eBay listing. ...??
Quite easy when you've got their full name and address when they've won your item.

After that I cancel bids based on the amount of feedback they have and how active they are, nothing else. It just happens that the majority of unreliable eBay bidders I've experienced have been from another country and moved to the UK.

Last edited by piehole1983; 21 December 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 21 December 2014, 08:12 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
I don't understand sellers who do this. There is no extra charge if you use Royal Mail over a cheap *** courier. Covers highlands and islands inc N.I even for heavy items up to 30 kilos
This boils my piśš too mate, I can send an item from Belfast to anywhere in the UK for a fixed price and it's the same price anyone can send stuff to me but some people think I'm on the moon or something and want to charge extra!
Old 21 December 2014, 12:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by piehole1983
Quite easy when you've got they're full name and address when they've won your item.

After that I cancel bids based on the amount of feedback they have and how active they are, nothing else. It just happens that the majority of unreliable eBay bidders I've experienced have been from another country and moved to the UK.
But what about people like me that don't use ebay very often or have a high score because of this, there are genuine buyers out there but not all of us live on ebay all the time.
Old 21 December 2014, 12:08 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I had the myself. Sold a set of wheels for £1200 buy it now.ebay fees where sowing like £122 buyer the emails me to say he won't be collecting them but agrees to cancel the auction. eBay refund my £122 but it's not a refund its a credit !

I sell the wheels via a forum, now ice got a credit of £122 and can't for the life of me find how to get that money back into my PayPal or bank.
Old 21 December 2014, 12:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I had someone win a sunbed off me (don't ask; I inherited the infernal thing).

"She" ( and I use that in a non biased way, but possibly typical of someone with the mindset of someone who wants their own sunbed ), asked a few somewhat daft questions. Like its size, even though they were advertised and if it was suitable for getting a tan with (erm, its a sunbed ).

I had a bad feeling about this but I let the auction run, she won it.

After winning it she asked the next day if it would work OK in an attic. Erm, yeah, as long as you can get it up their (it took three of us to carry each half out of the house and into the garage! ) and you had adequate power already wired in there.

She said I've got a socket up there so its ok. I said "no, as mentioned in the listing it pulls 20amps, it will need to be wired professionally via a separate circuit breaker and spur switch and additional RCD protection if the house isn't already equipped". After more to and fro messaging explaining what a spur and circuit breaker was she finally understood "ahh, so I'll need an electrician". "Yes", I replied.

Nothing was said after til the next day when 'She' asked again how big/heavy it was. Knowing I've already told here the dimensions, this time I replied asking if she can fit a single bed in the attic, she said no. Then I replied that this sunBED wouldn't fit then, as its almost the same size as a single bed.

Penny finally drops; this bed is the size of a bed. She said oh ok, I did win it so I'll get my boyfriend to collect in his van. Cool I thought, at least they have a van and won't turn up in a Fiesta.

Next day boyfriend turns up.....in a Peugeot Partner FFS :faceplam: We tried to get the one half of it in, well, less than a quarter, as it over-hung out the back of the van that much that it wanted to topple back out. And there was no way of balancing it or securing it.

She did come good in the end as she agreed to pay for it to be re-listed, but what a pain in the ****.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 December 2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 21 December 2014, 01:25 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
But what about people like me that don't use ebay very often or have a high score because of this, there are genuine buyers out there but not all of us live on ebay all the time.
This is very true and I do give everyone a good chance, I even email people during auctions. It's just one of those things where one person can ruin the party! If you want to buy anything from me on eBay just let me know
Old 21 December 2014, 01:27 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
I had the myself. Sold a set of wheels for £1200 buy it now.ebay fees where sowing like £122 buyer the emails me to say he won't be collecting them but agrees to cancel the auction. eBay refund my £122 but it's not a refund its a credit ! I sell the wheels via a forum, now ice got a credit of £122 and can't for the life of me find how to get that money back into my PayPal or bank.
That's a good one. But it should just go straight back to paypal as the fees would have been collected by eBay from paypal initially. Have you contacted eBay?