Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best way to make calls via wifi whilst abroad?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2014, 04:32 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to make calls via wifi whilst abroad?

Hi

I need to make regular calls back to the UK whilst abroad. 02 don't offer any kind of packages/bolt ons for that particular country. The charge is about £1.50/minute.

The hotel has wifi, what is the best way for me to use this to make calls?

Thanks
Old 14 August 2014, 04:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Skype?

We have playbooks each though for this sort thing
Old 14 August 2014, 05:05 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Skype is the first thing that springs to mind but there are other services....
Old 14 August 2014, 05:08 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Viber
Old 14 August 2014, 07:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Yep, forgot about viber
Old 14 August 2014, 07:53 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

I work abroad a lot we have a thing in our laptops that connect to the work landline system

Forgot it's name will go check in a bit
Old 14 August 2014, 08:31 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

I assume that with Skype the person I'm calling also needs to have it and be connected to the internet? And I can't call a landline?
Old 14 August 2014, 08:49 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Yes , needs to b logged in

Or if using iPhones FaceTime ?
Old 14 August 2014, 10:53 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Thanks.

I assume that with Skype the person I'm calling also needs to have it and be connected to the internet? And I can't call a landline?
No,

what you have described is free Skype to Skype functionality - it is free, like apple face time - the recipient has to have a Skype enabled device

But you can use Skype to call PSTN (public service telephone network = landlines and mobiles)

But you have to pay - create Skype account and link a payment method to it
you can then call landlines, mobiles, and other Skype users (other Skype users are free) all over an Internet connection, wireless, 3G etc etc

You connect a call, over the hotels free wireless connection, to you're plumbers mobile phone, you pay Skype a small fee for the privilege

If your plumber has a Skype device, happy days it is free

Skype to Skype = free

Skype to PSTN = you pay a fee ( but will be less than a conventional call)

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 14 August 2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 15 August 2014, 05:05 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks Hodgy. I have quickly set up a Skype account and added some credit. I'll also look into buying a local sim card when I'm out there.

Cheers
Old 15 August 2014, 05:52 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Hodgy. I have quickly set up a Skype account and added some credit. I'll also look into buying a local sim card when I'm out there.

Cheers
Make sure you get your phone un blocked by your provider in the uk before you go, or you may find the local sim won't work.
Old 15 August 2014, 10:21 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not saying Skype isn't the way forward as I don't use it, yet to be introduced to it.

However Viber is very good. I speak to friends in France and Austria frequently with it. You can also message (inc pictures) through Viber too. The clarity of the call is very good, and the delay is minimal (rarely speak over the other person) which is important if it's for work purposes.

Rob
Old 15 August 2014, 10:32 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

We've spoken people in Africa and Australia, likewise
Old 15 August 2014, 05:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If its America? you can buy a simcard which gives unlimited everything and can transfer calls to your phone number so you can still receive them. I had one when I went and paid about £70 for the two weeks.
Old 15 August 2014, 07:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah viber looks ok, not used it

The key being that it too can connect to the PSTN network

I imagine they are much of a muchness
Old 17 August 2014, 12:10 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

First thought would be to unlock the phone and get a local PAYG SIM card, but if there is free wifi, then something that can use that would be good.

I've not actually used Viber, though there is a gentle reminder now and then at work to use it, mainly as our parent company also owns Viber.
Old 17 August 2014, 12:32 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Cheers
Yes, that's a good idea. That saves a fortune, and O2 rip off will also also see its @rse. You can leave your O2 phone on flight mode. Or, if you want to receive texts and calls on O2 sim, it will cost you 1.50 per minute to receive as well as to call out, and texts will be .40p. Extra money for voicemail and roaming, of course. I'd switch off the voicemail and roaming, at least.

I bought an international dialling card from Tesco to call from UK to abroad on cheap. Believe me or not, a 2p a minute call still cost me a bomb because O2 charged me stupid money for merely connecting me to Tesco international dialling service. What a load of bull that 2p a minute was. O2 is a rip off service provider. I'm also going to pay Skype now for international calls. O2 can sod off.
Old 17 August 2014, 01:13 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks. The Skype thing didn't work for some reason, luckily I only put a tenner on it.

I've bought a local sim which will cost me about 25p/min rather than the 150p that o2 would charge. I had a spare unlocked phone so no problems there.

I'm not much further than countries like India etc but those really good rates don't seem to apply here.

So I'm happy with the 25p/min.

Thanks for your help.
Old 17 August 2014, 04:07 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Yes, that's a good idea. That saves a fortune, and O2 rip off will also also see its @rse. You can leave your O2 phone on flight mode. Or, if you want to receive texts and calls on O2 sim, it will cost you 1.50 per minute to receive as well as to call out, and texts will be .40p. Extra money for voicemail and roaming, of course. I'd switch off the voicemail and roaming, at least.

I bought an international dialling card from Tesco to call from UK to abroad on cheap. Believe me or not, a 2p a minute call still cost me a bomb because O2 charged me stupid money for merely connecting me to Tesco international dialling service. What a load of bull that 2p a minute was. O2 is a rip off service provider. I'm also going to pay Skype now for international calls. O2 can sod off.
Was it on 0800 connecting call ? , could try Weq4u in this instance?

Or use landline, we use talk home, for africa, maybe there's a better one for other parts world
Old 17 August 2014, 04:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thanks. The Skype thing didn't work for some reason, luckily I only put a tenner on it.

I've bought a local sim which will cost me about 25p/min rather than the 150p that o2 would charge. I had a spare unlocked phone so no problems there.

I'm not much further than countries like India etc but those really good rates don't seem to apply here.

Thanks for your help.
I'd email skype ask em for advice

I suppose you're near enough to their router? . Place we stayed at had free wifi haha, You had to be within ten feet of it - convenient located near the bar
Old 17 August 2014, 01:43 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Oh, right. I won't bother with that, then.

Thanks for your help.
I've just been to India. It was overwhelming! Really enjoyed it. Hope you do enjoy it, too. I went to the magnificent Gurudwara at the Connought Place for the first time, and was blown away! Saw Taj after 28 years, and that was truly an unreal experience! Went to many temples, fort, palaces and farms, and soaked every bit what I beheld in my memory. The cows on streets; the smells good and bad- the lot! Highlight remains being with my dearest family there, and I continue to feel them around me. Magnificent country in most ways, if not all.

Originally Posted by dpb
Was it on 0800 connecting call ? , could try Weq4u in this instance?
No, Duncan. It was an 02107 number to call Tesco to begin with, then you tap in the unique pin, and then you tap in the number you're calling. According to Tesco, the connection charge is +4p, which may mean that it could be any amount but certainly no less that 4p. That's where the catch is. O2 surcharges on top.

Or use landline, we use talk home, for africa, maybe there's a better one for other parts world
Basically, Tesco card says that it's the same cost from mobile or from landline. However, I'll be using the remaining credit from the landline. I'm not paying a penny over to O2. They already charge me over my standing charge every month even when I don't make many calls or surf on the net much on my iPhone.

As I sussed this rip off before travelling, I never used this international calling card from abroad.

People are always looking for the cheapest way to telecommunicate internationally, and Skype video calling isn't everyone's cuppa tea. It intimidates me even when my mother stares at my face to work out where my nose is; as if I'm pissed Picasso's work of Cubism art. On top of it, random freezing of the screen and lip movement not synch-ing with what one's moaning about doesn't go down well with me either. Ridiculous and annoying. Best way from abroad is what Ding has done. Buy a local sim to make it more reasonable. O2 can sod off.

Last edited by Turbohot; 17 August 2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 17 August 2014, 01:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Haha

It's mostly to do strength connection I guess though

Glad you had great time in India , thought you'd been quiet.

One day I'd love to go

Last edited by dpb; 17 August 2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 17 August 2014, 02:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hi

I need to make regular calls back to the UK whilst abroad. 02 don't offer any kind of packages/bolt ons for that particular country. The charge is about £1.50/minute.

The hotel has wifi, what is the best way for me to use this to make calls?

Thanks
Really? They dont offer you anything?

Down load the O2 Tu-Go app.

http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

Tony
Old 17 August 2014, 05:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Haha

It's mostly to do strength connection I guess though

Glad you had great time in India , thought you'd been quiet.

One day I'd love to go
Hey, you should go while you're young. I mean, until you can sustain the heat and all that, that comes with it.

I have some pictures to show you. Get ready for a big post. Hope Ding won't mind on his thread.

Here we go>

This is India
..where Kali welcomes you…

…to the the home of Bhagvat-gita…

…where many villages have decorated mud huts like this one…

…where farmer women do basic cooking on their handmade mud cooker…

…and then toil hard all day in the farms…

…where buffaloes enjoy being washed under the blazing sun…

…where you can learn to milk a cow Indian stylee…

…where people dance like mad on Ravanhattha music and forget all their usual pains…

…where not just the handicraft and art but also the performing arts traditions are kept alive by generations of stunning looking people…

…where ancient palaces tell the story of their richness…

…as if you're looking at a diamond held in your hand…

…where the mind blowing love monument Tajmahal stands proud and unshaken of all the troubles this country had faced… (ironically, it was also built on the order of the invaders. Thanks to them for ordering to build something as beautiful as this on the Indian earth.)

This is the fruitful India…

…where the Indian flag has been flying with dignity for last 68 years…

Enjoy.
Old 17 August 2014, 05:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Is kali like vishnu.?

Great pics,

What do they do with the buffalo

Last edited by dpb; 17 August 2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 17 August 2014, 06:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Ah ok, I assumed they'd uze cows for pulling
Old 17 August 2014, 06:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Is kali like vishnu.?

Great pics,

What do they do with the buffalo
Duncan, Goddess Kali is a girl, and she is a consort to God Shiva. She is a fierce form of Durga.

Basically, all Indian gods are same; worshipped in different forms. They all denote human nature and how to rise above the human nature. One can pick any form whichever one prefers, and go for it. No restrictions although different forms are worshipped as main gods in different regions of India. But even then, it's not a problem.

When I say all Indian gods are same, what I'm saying is that Bramha, the main God, whose name gives birth the name of the universe/cosmos 'Bramhanda' is actually believed to be nirakaar, and he's basically worshipped in different forms. Nirakaar means no shape and no form with eternal fluidity and infinite dimensions, for its too grand to have any known shape or form. But you know what people are like. They would want him to have some form, so he also has been given a shape and a form. He doesn't mind whichever form he's worshipped in.

About the buffalo, they milk the buffalo and sell its milk, which is drinkable by humans and other animals. It's richer in fat contents than the cow's milk, and it's more expensive to buy. Almost every Indian household buys both types of milk on daily basis and uses it.

I have a funny story about the buffalo milk. When I first came to the UK, my English husband took me to my in-laws' farmhouse. My mother in-law asked me if I wanted tea. I said- "That will be great!". She asked what milk I wanted in my tea. I said- "Any milk will do; either cow's or buffalo's". She paused, and then said- "We don't have buffalo's milk in the UK. I meant if you preferred semi-skimmed or skimmed milk". LOL we still have a laugh when we remind ourselves of my early times in the UK.

Last edited by Turbohot; 17 August 2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 17 August 2014, 06:19 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Ah ok, I assumed they'd uze cows for pulling
They use bulls for pulling bull carts, and plough the fields with them. Most Indian farmers also have Massy-Fergusons (sp.) as well, but they do not seem to abandon their traditional practices. Farming there seems to be so methodical, timely and tidy that it makes you wonder how they sustain such heat and still be so productive.
Old 17 August 2014, 07:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Ha ,you have so many deity there.

I wondered about buffulo, since they don't do that Africa - but apparently it's a different beast altogether ...

Will they bring fire into house when it gets cold , or does it get that cold

"imbahora" or something like that in Southern africa

Last edited by dpb; 17 August 2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 17 August 2014, 07:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Is this one taking the mikey

:http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/pic...-ball-kali.jpg

Quick Reply: Best way to make calls via wifi whilst abroad?