Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

RIP Simon Andrews ... TT racer, North West 200.

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2014, 07:36 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIP Simon Andrews ... TT racer, North West 200.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/27478727

A really sad loss to the sport, he'd already put up with a lot over the last couple of years with some very serious injuries especially to his leg. If you'd seen how horrific those injuries were you'd be amazed that he ever got on a bike again never mind race, similar to what Hutchy had to go through. It just shows how mentally tough and determined motorbike racers are especially the rode racers.

RIP Simon, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 19 May 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 19 May 2014, 07:40 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

R.I.P. Simon ..
Old 19 May 2014, 07:47 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

It is very sad. Just read it on bbc. Such a shame. Rip.
Old 19 May 2014, 07:50 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

For those that are not aware of Simon Andrews and the previous injuries that he's suffered, fast forward this youtube video to 8 mins 6 seconds, it will show you how tough and how dedicated these riders are. He came across as a top lad as well and very witty.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 19 May 2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 19 May 2014, 10:17 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Saw footage of his accident today - absolutely horrific.

Gone too soon, but he'll have the Dunlop brothers keeping him company tonight - RIP Simon.
Old 19 May 2014, 11:25 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I've always thought of it as the most dangerous sport on the planet and the guys that do it have ***** the size of melons.

I always look forward the to the Isle of Man TT watching it on TV but at the same time it makes me cringe when I think of the accidents that have gone before and hope each year I watch is accident free. Too many gone too soon.

R.I.P.
Old 20 May 2014, 08:50 AM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

RIP Simon. Thoughts are with your family and friends.
Old 20 May 2014, 10:39 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
It just shows how mentally tough and determined motorbike racers are especially the rode racers
.......or slightly unhinged/mad/stupid.

Seems he has had a fair few nasty crashes.
Old 20 May 2014, 10:43 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

...damn just saw that on youtube.....grim!
Old 20 May 2014, 10:58 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Just seen the footage, its sickening and not something i would want to see again, he was obviously out cold when he hit the pavement. Ive never seen a rider crash and be in that position before where they are sliding down the road on their chest with their head facing forward, ive not seen and reports about what caused the crash.

Davyboy:

They have to be that as well, it takes a certain type of person to want to enter races like the Isle Of Man TT and the North West 200, anyone regardless of their ability who goes down Bray Hill at the start of a TT race or lines up for the North West 200 gets my respect.
Old 20 May 2014, 01:51 PM
marco58
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stealthbomber
RIP Simon. Thoughts are with your family and friends.
+1
Old 20 May 2014, 03:09 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

RIP
Old 20 May 2014, 03:13 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
it takes a certain type of person to want to enter races like the Isle Of Man TT and the North West 200, anyone regardless of their ability who goes down Bray Hill at the start of a TT race or lines up for the North West 200 gets my respect.
hmmm - they don't get mine - it's only a matter of time before something very serious happens to them TBH riding on residential roads at those sort of insane speeds, one bump, one lapse, one kick of a tyre & it's all over, no gravel traps, run-offs etc here. They are crazy, and if they have a family, or care about loved ones, then selfish too IMHO!
Old 20 May 2014, 03:33 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Hasn't something very serious happened to them?

They know the risks. IOM TT/Macau is no different.
Old 20 May 2014, 03:44 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
hmmm - they don't get mine - it's only a matter of time before something very serious happens to them TBH riding on residential roads at those sort of insane speeds, one bump, one lapse, one kick of a tyre & it's all over, no gravel traps, run-offs etc here. They are crazy, and if they have a family, or care about loved ones, then selfish too IMHO!
Sorry but i can't agree with any of that, as humans were risk takers as thats our nature.

Are rally drivers, F1 drivers, rock climbers, parachutists all selfish as well ? If you banned everything that has a risk to life the world would become a very dull place to live in. These guys know the risks, their partners and family know the risks, if you have children would you stop your son doing something that he absolutely loved and lived for ?

Compared to the thousands upon thousands of people that take part in these types of dangerous sports the casualties are low, their will always be people that lose their lives in sports where you can reaach high speeds just like their has been in F1, rallying, indy racing and motorbike racing both on circuit and on the roads, but their are thousands of racers that have successful careers as well as the casual racers that have a great life and enjoy what they do.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 20 May 2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 20 May 2014, 03:49 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

He was just starting to get to grips with that BMW too, RIP Simon

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Saw footage of his accident today - absolutely horrific.

Gone too soon, but he'll have the Dunlop brothers keeping him company tonight - RIP Simon.
I read the second line of your post, and my first thought was 'what's happened to Michael & William

Then I realised you meant Joey & Robert
Old 20 May 2014, 04:49 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I have to say it appears a crazy sport to me - the risks appear unusually high compared to circuit racing which I am sure is bad enough. No run off, no barriers, just bumpy roads, kerbs and walls. I realise they have to have huge '*****' to do it, but something must have to be missing in the brain too for someone to decide it is good thing for them to do.

Please don't think I am being cold, I feel sorry for him and his family, I am just looking at it in a logical fashion.
Old 20 May 2014, 05:53 PM
Donnie Brasco 46
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A terrible accident and a loss to the bike racing community. I remember his accident in WSBK whilst substituting for another rider on a Kawasaki - when he smashed his heel.

It you think that the Isle of Man or NW200 are bad you should see some of the other road racing that goes on in Ireland. Arms brushing walls and bushes is the norm.

It is dangerous as all the motorcyclists acknowledge, but if
you watch "closer to the edge" (I think) which is the guy Martin tt DVD most riders say that you do ride with a slight margin for error.

Many road racers finish their careers intact and realise that though it's dangerous, it's also super exciting and when you do the math, the odds are in your favour.
Old 20 May 2014, 07:00 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

http://dazooracing.wordpress.com/201...-is-dangerous/
Old 20 May 2014, 07:20 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

RIP Simon.

Anyone who criticises either the TT or the Irish Road Races, never having been to one or both of them, has no idea what they're talking about. Go, then criticise if you must.
Old 20 May 2014, 08:19 PM
marco58
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Sorry but I have to say it you are a **** end of.
Old 20 May 2014, 08:20 PM
marco58
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
RIP Simon.

Anyone who criticises either the TT or the Irish Road Races, never having been to one or both of them, has no idea what they're talking about. Go, then criticise if you must.
Old 20 May 2014, 10:14 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RIP Simon.

I love the TT, Manx etc but have never been to one and probably never will.
If I was so inclined to criticise them then why would having never been to one give me no idea?
Old 21 May 2014, 12:17 AM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

Good article that

He had some bad luck with crashes & injuries, he had quite a bad one in the last round of BSB at Oulton Park. I dont know how they do road racing, fair play to them.

RIP Simon.
Old 21 May 2014, 06:21 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
I love the TT, Manx etc but have never been to one and probably never will.
If I was so inclined to criticise them then why would having never been to one give me no idea?
Because if you've only ever seen them on the TV or in newspapers and magazines, etc, you've not experienced them first hand and aren't in a position to offer an informed criticism.

You have to go there to really know anything about them. It's impossible to get that knowledge without doing so. I've been to 18 TTs since 1992 and it's just not possible to explain them to anyone who has never been.

No words can properly describe the speed, the excitement, the atmosphere, the enthusiasm and the beauty of the place. Even the cramped and extortionately priced ferry journey is special.

Sadly, the lack of accommodation in the Isle of Man is making it very difficult to go if you're not already 'in', these days.
Old 21 May 2014, 09:05 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Because if you've only ever seen them on the TV or in newspapers and magazines, etc, you've not experienced them first hand and aren't in a position to offer an informed criticism.

You have to go there to really know anything about them. It's impossible to get that knowledge without doing so. I've been to 18 TTs since 1992 and it's just not possible to explain them to anyone who has never been.

No words can properly describe the speed, the excitement, the atmosphere, the enthusiasm and the beauty of the place. Even the cramped and extortionately priced ferry journey is special.

Sadly, the lack of accommodation in the Isle of Man is making it very difficult to go if you're not already 'in', these days.

+1

We've been every year since 1994. We're off again on Monday (we were supposed to go on Saturday, but Flybe decided to cancel the whole bloody route 3 months after taking our booking! )
Old 21 May 2014, 11:01 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
+1

We've been every year since 1994. We're off again on Monday (we were supposed to go on Saturday, but Flybe decided to cancel the whole bloody route 3 months after taking our booking! )
Is there one of those smiley face thingies for 'Envy'? We're not going this year. ITV4 will have to do.
Old 21 May 2014, 11:41 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Is there one of those smiley face thingies for 'Envy'? We're not going this year. ITV4 will have to do.

No, but there IS this.......

We always stay in Hutchinson Square, Douglas. They're more like family after all these years.
Old 21 May 2014, 04:01 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

We missed two years in 2009/10 and lost our regular place at The George in Castletown.

Consequently, on our last two visits we had to stop at the Mount Murray at Santon. It costs the earth for what amounts to a glorified Travelodge, but you do get the entertainment of seeing the likes of Murray Walker, Phil Read, Mick Doohan and Philip McCallen having breakfast.

Sorry, this is getting miles off topic.