Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is Instant Gratification and Buying S*** all there is to British Culture Now?

Old 05 May 2014, 07:38 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is Instant Gratification and Buying S*** all there is to British Culture Now?

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

It seems to me at times that the only consideration the population of this country has in life is getting what we want right now, whether that be consumer goods or ending a relationship because things aren't quite as brilliant as they were for a while, hence the number of single parent families.

Without getting too philosophical, there must be more to life than going out at the weekend and getting obliterated to make yourself feel better, f*cking, and spending money on sh*te that keeps you occupied for a few hours or days.

Ambition means to do these things on as grand a scale as possible.
Old 05 May 2014, 07:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dumped?
Old 05 May 2014, 07:56 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got instant gratification today when my local Tesco had their £10 and £20 Easter eggs for sale at £2.50. So I bought six.
Old 05 May 2014, 08:05 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

55W905 £1199 at Currys, purchase and be happy.
Old 05 May 2014, 08:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's all about instant gratification unless you are under 25 fun loving criminal who lives at his parents', pays them a tiny keep and goes on a binge every weekend all weekend.

After 25 once you've moved out, your pocket is tight, and its all downhill for you from then on. Then you come to SN to gratify yourself with just one value lager on the go per night every night. Rest of the money goes in paying rent for your own place, takeaway pizza and maintaining/tarting up your scooby
Old 05 May 2014, 08:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've always got more out of finding and buying something than I have out of actually owning it.

I thought that was just me........
Old 05 May 2014, 08:44 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've always got more out of finding and buying something than I have out of actually owning it.

Nope, the wife is just the same!
Old 05 May 2014, 08:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

You're a control freak, then.

LOL I'm only joshing, don't bite my head off for it.
Old 05 May 2014, 09:02 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know one thing since I got older,material things have become less important,cars can take them or leave them.
Don't know if this is because I spent a lot of time in Czech.the GF for example,won't have anything on credit cards etc,she just no I save for it,and the way of living has kind of got into me.
It's quite an eye opener when you go away to another country,then come back to the UK how rush everything is,even to family life and social time.
Old 05 May 2014, 09:43 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Is Instant Gratification and Buying S*** all there is to British Culture Now?

Dr. Rock prescribes you this evening Led Zeppelin III.

Switch off the phone, put away the laptop, and don't move from your favourite armchair until at least 15 minutes after the closing bars of Hats off to Roy Harper.

Then go away and do something inspired
Old 05 May 2014, 11:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

It seems to me at times that the only consideration the population of this country has in life is getting what we want right now, whether that be consumer goods or ending a relationship because things aren't quite as brilliant as they were for a while, hence the number of single parent families.

Without getting too philosophical, there must be more to life than going out at the weekend and getting obliterated to make yourself feel better, f*cking, and spending money on sh*te that keeps you occupied for a few hours or days.

PM me when you've found the answer....and whilst you're there; The meaning of life.

I've got to a stage where I reckon I've done all thats worth doing. Bought stuff, used stuff, learnt stuff, been places, lived here, lived there, jobs, relationships. Material possessions have a increasingly diminishing importance to me, as is what seems to be the rituals of British culture (watching football and getting p*ssed at weekends). The only thing left is kids...and thank f**k I don't have any; I'd be trapped in hell.

Although ironically our main purpose on this planet is to procreate. Yeah, so obviously I'm not normal then

The two most important things to me are the good people in my life (not kids though ) and reaping the rewards of my efforts. The problem is that day to day life just seem to try its best at inhibiting that from happening. There's just too many arseholes, and never the time or resources to fulfil my dreams.

Got builders in tomorrow. Oh joy. More soul destryoing trying to make this money pit house slightly more bearable to live in. I have no interest in houses; I just want to sell up and buy a plot of land in the middle of nowhere and live in a caravan. I'd probably get bored of talking to myself though.
Old 06 May 2014, 05:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I don't think it's all about instant gratification unless you are under 25 fun loving criminal who lives at his parents', pays them a tiny keep and goes on a binge every weekend all weekend.

After 25 once you've moved out, your pocket is tight, and its all downhill for you from then on. Then you come to SN to gratify yourself with just one value lager on the go per night every night. Rest of the money goes in paying rent for your own place, takeaway pizza and maintaining/tarting up your scooby

You make me want to cry ..
Old 06 May 2014, 07:41 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
PM me when you've found the answer....and whilst you're there; The meaning of life.

I've got to a stage where I reckon I've done all thats worth doing. Bought stuff, used stuff, learnt stuff, been places, lived here, lived there, jobs, relationships. Material possessions have a increasingly diminishing importance to me, as is what seems to be the rituals of British culture (watching football and getting p*ssed at weekends). The only thing left is kids...and thank f**k I don't have any; I'd be trapped in hell.

Although ironically our main purpose on this planet is to procreate. Yeah, so obviously I'm not normal then

The two most important things to me are the good people in my life (not kids though ) and reaping the rewards of my efforts. The problem is that day to day life just seem to try its best at inhibiting that from happening. There's just too many arseholes, and never the time or resources to fulfil my dreams.

Got builders in tomorrow. Oh joy. More soul destryoing trying to make this money pit house slightly more bearable to live in. I have no interest in houses; I just want to sell up and buy a plot of land in the middle of nowhere and live in a caravan. I'd probably get bored of talking to myself though.
I actually totally agree, I would happily livein a caravan in the middle of nowhere, the Mrs even wants to.

I actually think the biggest pleasure in my life is making things, I would love to do a big caravan and convert it in some way to make it a nice place to be.

The second biggest pleasure is my workshop, and again, it means I can make things and fix things without needing anyone else, I like buying things, but I wouldnt class it as important to me, and I will save for it rather than get it on a credit card like everyone else seems to do.

But then again I learnt the value of money at 17 when I went and got my own place while all my mates were out pissing it up in the local pub
Old 06 May 2014, 08:14 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
55W905 £1199 at Currys, purchase and be happy.

Lol, I actually purchased a TV over the weekend, it was to replace the one in the children's play room (the only one downstairs)

The original one started playing up, which was a bit crap as it was only 3 years old

When it started to go wrong I tried to repair it by taking the back off etc, I never replace anything unless I have had a go at a repair first (just successfully rebuilt the alternator on my Caterham 7 - and fired her up for the first time this year, will tax it today)

Anyway I discovered the TV would work, sort of - but you had to let the screen warm up for 20 mins - this happened 3 weeks before Xmas, so it was squeaky bum time for the kids, as to whether my Fix would last

But you would be amazed at the difference it made to their viewing habits when you could not simply turn it on, but had to wait 20 mins - they often found something else to do

Anyway apparently things had been getting steadily worse, and I faced a kids revolt, as it was now taking over an hour and a half to warm up - i had to laugh

Anyway we relented and bought a really nice Samsung 32" and only £199.00

As a born and bred city boy I now find having moved to the country real pleasure in gardening, not the namby pamby planting beds etc, but "big" gardening with chainsaws, bushcutters and mowers - takes me 2 hours to mow the garden - but I tell the wife it takes 3

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 06 May 2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06 May 2014, 09:09 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a plan.
I know someone who lives on a boat,and someone who has got some land,and thinking of building one those log/wood houses.The type that come in flat pack ?
Old 06 May 2014, 10:58 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

It may sound daft but I've recently grown a real interest in Marine fish keeping. I've been spending months researching and planning the set up that I want and hope to get this towards the end of summer. The main reason is to give myself something stimulating to look after and to simply enjoy the effort that will go into it and to see the end result years down the line. I guess a bit like spending your time in the garden to just get away.
Old 06 May 2014, 11:04 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
It may sound daft but I've recently grown a real interest in Marine fish keeping. I've been spending months researching and planning the set up that I want and hope to get this towards the end of summer. The main reason is to give myself something stimulating to look after and to simply enjoy the effort that will go into it and to see the end result years down the line. I guess a bit like spending your time in the garden to just get away.
Its a very rewarding hobby, I have a 500ltr reef set up in the front room, and a 100ltr QT/mini display in the office
Old 06 May 2014, 11:12 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Ive always fancied keeping marine fish but it looks like a lot of hard work. South American cichlids maybe a good compromise.
Old 06 May 2014, 11:13 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Ive always fancied keeping marine fish but it looks like a lot of hard work. South American cichlids maybe a good compromise.
It really isnt alot of hard work, if anything it is easier.

I havent done a water change in 6 months and everything is thriving, try doing that with tropical lol.

Also you dont get anywhere near as much colour or interesting things going on in a tropical tank
Old 06 May 2014, 12:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
You're a control freak, then.

LOL I'm only joshing, don't bite my head off for it.
Yes........with mild OCD. It was worse when I was a kid.
Old 06 May 2014, 12:18 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I just want to sell up and buy a plot of land in the middle of nowhere and live in a caravan. I'd probably get bored of talking to myself though.
I'd be more than happy with that. Three things stopping me, wife, 3 year old, 1 year old I love them all really
Old 06 May 2014, 12:33 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Its a very rewarding hobby, I have a 500ltr reef set up in the front room, and a 100ltr QT/mini display in the office
That sounds awesome. Going off topic now but are you on UltimateReef? Pm me if you are so I can check out your tank thread
Old 06 May 2014, 12:35 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
As mentioned in my post, I've done months of research and it doesn't look as difficult as it appears once you know the basics and got your head around a few things. I can't wait to get a reef tank now.
Old 06 May 2014, 12:57 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss

You have forgotten the most important thing - you need to do all of the above and then post about it on Facebook. What's the point in spending money on sh*te if you can't show off to your 614 closest friends what a fabulous lifestyle you have?
Old 06 May 2014, 01:15 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
You have forgotten the most important thing - you need to do all of the above and then post about it on Facebook. What's the point in spending money on sh*te if you can't show off to your 614 closest friends what a fabulous lifestyle you have?
Old 06 May 2014, 06:39 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Ha ha....

Aint that right...

What it says about the people that do it,i aint sure..But its laughable.
Old 06 May 2014, 07:53 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
Ha ha....

Aint that right...

What it says about the people that do it,i aint sure..But its laughable.
No more laughable than someone soul searching on a car forum.
Old 06 May 2014, 08:15 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^

You are kidding me?

Facebook is for vacuous gimps...
Old 06 May 2014, 08:30 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
^^^^^^^^

You are kidding me?

Facebook is for vacuous gimps...
Scoobynet is hardly a doyen of philosophy and intellect (with a few exceptions).
Old 06 May 2014, 10:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
You make me want to cry ..
But you're laughing, and I understand. You might as well laugh, or you'll end up crying, I know.

Oh, absolutely! 600 of them are the ones who you only met on some flipping game like that meaningless tittleetoo Mob War or on another mob war on Scoobynet. The chances of you meeting those virtual 'friends' are below zero, so you might as well show off to them on FB and get some flattering comments, likes and whatever other bull that is available there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Instant Gratification and Buying S*** all there is to British Culture Now?