Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Make most of your life, we aren't here forever

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2014, 03:50 PM
angel1368
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make most of your life, we aren't here forever

Sorry to be morbid but very good and close family friend has been battling cancer and got a call today to say hes in a hospice with days left to live, hes 39 and leaves a 4 year old and 1 year old, just a post to say dont let silly things ruin your day or let arguments go on long cos we dont know how long we are here for, its really made me stop and think about the stupid things i moan about etc, thank you for reading and sorry again
Old 04 April 2014, 04:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Awful.
Both my neighbours diagnosed within a month of each other........
Old 04 April 2014, 04:01 PM
bmw730i
Scooby Regular

watched a louis theroux program the other day with young people aged around 30 and wow hit home as it showed you pictures before this nasty disease and it ruined them and most had weeks maybe days to live and they were just waiting to go.

when the doctor delivered the news that nothing can be done and the look in there eyes, could not imagine how I would take that news.

sorry to hear this pal just be there for his family and spend what time you have left with him.
Old 04 April 2014, 04:09 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

I am sorry to hear this. Sometimes we take things for granted
Old 04 April 2014, 04:17 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I hear you!

I read an article written by a palliative nurse the other month so did my friend who called me saying he smiled when he read it as he instantly thought of me saying that's how he saw me living my life using the rules listed in the article!!

I was flattered and told him about my friends farther who passed away when we were 19 year old lads and it yanked my chain then! I try to enjoy every day, I laugh a lot and put my kids before anything I do. I don't take myself too seriously and laugh at myself a lot and also make time to be silly!!!

I think more of us should live by some of the rules listed below.

Bless your Mate angel.

For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives.

People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortality. I learnt never to underestimate someone's capacity for growth. Some changes were phenomenal. Each experienced a variety of emotions, as expected, denial, fear, anger, remorse, more denial and eventually acceptance. Every single patient found their peace before they departed though, every one of them.

When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made.

It is very important to try and honour at least some of your dreams along the way. From the moment that you lose your health, it is too late. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

2. I wish I didn't work so hard.

This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret. But as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.

By simplifying your lifestyle and making conscious choices along the way, it is possible to not need the income that you think you do. And by creating more space in your life, you become happier and more open to new opportunities, ones more suited to your new lifestyle.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.

We cannot control the reactions of others. However, although people may initially react when you change the way you are by speaking honestly, in the end it raises the relationship to a whole new and healthier level. Either that or it releases the unhealthy relationship from your life. Either way, you win.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.

It is common for anyone in a busy lifestyle to let friendships slip. But when you are faced with your approaching death, the physical details of life fall away. People do want to get their financial affairs in order if possible. But it is not money or status that holds the true importance for them. They want to get things in order more for the benefit of those they love. Usually though, they are too ill and weary to ever manage this task. It is all comes down to love and relationships in the end. That is all that remains in the final weeks, love and relationships.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content. When deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again.

When you are on your deathbed, what others think of you is a long way from your mind. How wonderful to be able to let go and smile again, long before you are dying.

Life is a choice. It is YOUR life. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness.
Old 04 April 2014, 04:20 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

One of my school friends was diagnosed yesterday at the age of 37 with a brain tumour and lung cancer. He has a lovely family with 3 kids. Not easy.

I hear what you are saying. Make the most of every day with your loved ones!
Old 04 April 2014, 04:25 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

wish I'd not read that a work
Old 04 April 2014, 05:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
but how many moments took your breath away.
Old 04 April 2014, 07:16 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

So sorry to hear of your awful news.
Life can be very cruel, I lost my mum to cancer 2 years ago, she was 57!
It was the toughest time of my life.
I too watched that Louis Theroux program, such young ages.
Old 04 April 2014, 08:24 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry to hear your sad tale. My son-in-law died suddenly on March 4th 2013 from a massive internal bleed, he too was only 39.
Old 04 April 2014, 08:32 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

A girl at work passed away last week leaving 2 young children and a husband, she was only 32, no illness, no warning, just never woke up!!!

RIP Jo!!!
Old 04 April 2014, 08:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by specialx
I hear you!

I read an article written by a palliative nurse the other month so did my friend who called me saying he smiled when he read it as he instantly thought of me saying that's how he saw me living my life using the rules listed in the article!!

I was flattered and told him about my friends farther who passed away when we were 19 year old lads and it yanked my chain then! I try to enjoy every day, I laugh a lot and put my kids before anything I do. I don't take myself too seriously and laugh at myself a lot and also make time to be silly!!!

I think more of us should live by some of the rules listed below.

Bless your Mate angel.

For many years I worked in palliative care. My patients were those who had gone home to die. Some incredibly special times were shared. I was with them for the last three to twelve weeks of their lives.

People grow a lot when they are faced with their own mortality. I learnt never to underestimate someone's capacity for growth. Some changes were phenomenal. Each experienced a variety of emotions, as expected, denial, fear, anger, remorse, more denial and eventually acceptance. Every single patient found their peace before they departed though, every one of them.

When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made.

It is very important to try and honour at least some of your dreams along the way. From the moment that you lose your health, it is too late. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it.

2. I wish I didn't work so hard.

This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret. But as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence.

By simplifying your lifestyle and making conscious choices along the way, it is possible to not need the income that you think you do. And by creating more space in your life, you become happier and more open to new opportunities, ones more suited to your new lifestyle.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result.

We cannot control the reactions of others. However, although people may initially react when you change the way you are by speaking honestly, in the end it raises the relationship to a whole new and healthier level. Either that or it releases the unhealthy relationship from your life. Either way, you win.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying.

It is common for anyone in a busy lifestyle to let friendships slip. But when you are faced with your approaching death, the physical details of life fall away. People do want to get their financial affairs in order if possible. But it is not money or status that holds the true importance for them. They want to get things in order more for the benefit of those they love. Usually though, they are too ill and weary to ever manage this task. It is all comes down to love and relationships in the end. That is all that remains in the final weeks, love and relationships.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content. When deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again.

When you are on your deathbed, what others think of you is a long way from your mind. How wonderful to be able to let go and smile again, long before you are dying.

Life is a choice. It is YOUR life. Choose consciously, choose wisely, choose honestly. Choose happiness.
Great post, I am sure so true as well

And I try a live my life preempting those deathbed regrets
Old 04 April 2014, 08:58 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Cranky Old Man

What do you see nurses? . . .. . .What do you see?
What are you thinking .. . when you're looking at me?
A cranky old man, . . . . . .not very wise,
Uncertain of habit .. . . . . . . .. with faraway eyes?
Who dribbles his food .. . ... . . and makes no reply.
When you say in a loud voice . .'I do wish you'd try!'
Who seems not to notice . . .the things that you do.
And forever is losing . . . . . .. . . A sock or shoe?
Who, resisting or not . . . ... lets you do as you will,
With bathing and feeding . . . .The long day to fill?
Is that what you're thinking?. .Is that what you see?
Then open your eyes, nurse .you're not looking at me.
I'll tell you who I am . . . . .. As I sit here so still,
As I do at your bidding, .. . . . as I eat at your will.
I'm a small child of Ten . .with a father and mother,
Brothers and sisters .. . . .. . who love one another
A young boy of Sixteen . . . .. with wings on his feet
Dreaming that soon now . . .. . . a lover he'll meet.
A groom soon at Twenty . . . ..my heart gives a leap.
Remembering, the vows .. .. .that I promised to keep.
At Twenty-Five, now . . . . .I have young of my own.
Who need me to guide . . . And a secure happy home.
A man of Thirty . .. . . . . My young now grown fast,
Bound to each other . . .. With ties that should last.
At Forty, my young sons .. .have grown and are gone,
But my woman is beside me . . to see I don't mourn.
At Fifty, once more, .. ...Babies play 'round my knee,
Again, we know children . . . . My loved one and me.
Dark days are upon me . . . . My wife is now dead.
I look at the future ... . . . . I shudder with dread.
For my young are all rearing .. . . young of their own.
And I think of the years . . . And the love that I've known.
I'm now an old man . . . . . . .. and nature is cruel.
It's jest to make old age . . . . . . . look like a fool.
The body, it crumbles .. .. . grace and vigor, depart.
There is now a stone . . . where I once had a heart.
But inside this old carcass . A young man still dwells,
And now and again . . . . . my battered heart swells
I remember the joys . . . . .. . I remember the pain.
And I'm loving and living . . . . . . . life over again.
I think of the years, all too few . . .. gone too fast.
And accept the stark fact . . . that nothing can last.
So open your eyes, people .. . . . .. . . open and see.
Not a cranky old man .
Look closer . . . . see .. .. . .. .... . ME!!

Remember this poem when you next meet an older person who you might brush aside without looking at the young soul within. We will all, one day, be there, too!

The best and most beautiful things of this world can't be seen or touched. They must be felt by the heart!
Old 05 April 2014, 12:08 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...... sorry to hear that

Every Thursday morning at 8.30 am about 24 people video conference between Carlisle and Newcastle to try their best to make sure that news like that is as rare as possible for head and neck cancer sufferers in the North West........

Shaun
Old 05 April 2014, 02:35 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife......
...... sorry to hear that

Every Thursday morning at 8.30 am about 24 people video conference between Carlisle and Newcastle to try their best to make sure that news like that is as rare as possible for head and neck cancer sufferers in the North West........

Shaun
We were taught at Manchester that we'd see a couple throughout a career in General Dental Practice. I suspect I'll never see as many as I saw working in busy head and neck units but I have already seen two mouth cancers this year, one inoperable. And mouth cancer is a comparatively rare one, even if it would appear to be one on the rise.

Around a third of us will be killed by cancer. I hope I'm not one of those poor *******s.

Anyone who's known someone who suffered from it, or worked with those afflicted by it will know a little of what a terrible, terrible disease it is. It's one of the few things that truly scares me.

When I was working in hospital we treated a young man with a wife and two young children who developed a sarcoma of the upper jaw that went from a numb spot on his cheek to all consuming with days left to live in the space of eight months.

Saw a link on Facebook the other day where some asshat was stating that drugs companies know that smoking cannabis is the cure to all forms of cancer and that there is a massive conspiracy between all top level health professionals, the government and senior executives and share holders of drugs companies to stop everyone knowing the truth. I don't know if I was more angry by the person who wrote the article or the thousands of supporters of such a mad theory.
Old 05 April 2014, 11:57 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Vey sad, brought a tear to my eye.
Old 05 April 2014, 12:10 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about that
Old 05 April 2014, 12:18 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Life is so precious, fragile and unpredictable.

I spent years seeing life robbed from people on a daily basis but was too stupid to learn the lesson. Luckily a few years ago the penny dropped and I changed my work/life balance.
Old 05 April 2014, 04:03 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Old 05 April 2014, 11:48 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Makes you think :-(
Old 07 April 2014, 04:42 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Thank You specialx.

Words of wisdom that we should all heed.
Too easy to take things/people for granted.
And too easy to slip into the path of least resistance, at the cost of unfulfilment.
Old 07 April 2014, 07:33 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Life is difficult.