Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking companies grrrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2014, 07:27 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking companies grrrrrr

So, I'm in a parking dispute with a private parking company.

I parked my car in a disabled space in the car park of a shopping centre. I had a friend with me who is disabled and he had a disabled badge which we displayed on the dashboard. I also collected a free for "two hours" parking ticket and placed it on the dashboard too.

My friend and I were in the shop maybe 15 minutes, when we came out there was a parking fine left on the bonnet of my car, not even attached to the windscreen. I looked around but could not see an attendant so I took a photograph of the front of my vehicle displaying both the parking ticket and blue disabled badge.

I sent a letter to the parking company including a photo copy of their parking fine (Parking Charge Notice) and also a photograph of the front of my car showing the parking ticket and disabled badge. In my letter I stated that I was unhappy about their parking attendant hadn't even bothered to check the windscreen of my car properly and that I wouldn't be paying their parking charge notice. I also stated that I consider the matter closed and should I hear back from them I would charge them a £50 administration fee for my time and expenses to reply to them.

Well, would you believe it. A few days ago another letter from them stating that any time to appeal had lapsed and that I owed them £90 otherwise they would consider court action. So true to my word I've written back to them stating that I have supplied them a photograph as evidence that the car was not parked in contravention to their rules and that they now must pay my £50, otherwise I will take them to the Small Claims Court for my £50 administration fee.

What do you think they will do? I think they're so up their own **** that they'll send me another final final demand.

Oh, and I intend to see it through if they don't pay up. lol
Old 23 March 2014, 07:29 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

lol, what does the ticket say you have been done for?
Old 23 March 2014, 07:34 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't think you would win your £50 to be fair, as they haven't agreed to any contract with you.

I'm in the middle of a fight with one too, ticket fell off the window, £50 moving to £100 is more than unfair, so I will see them in court.
Old 23 March 2014, 07:35 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

It says "parked in a disabled parking space without clearly displaying a disabled persons badge." They have included a photograph of the rear of my car
Old 23 March 2014, 07:37 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless they are Council run, ignore them.
They can't do anything any more.
Old 23 March 2014, 07:39 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Don't think you would win your £50 to be fair, as they haven't agreed to any contract with you
Yes they have by replying to my letter whereby I stated that any further correspondence would cost £50 per letter - in my initial reply to them where I included all the evidence I need to dispute their parking charge.

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I'm in the middle of a fight with one too, ticket fell off the window, £50 moving to £100 is more than unfair, so I will see them in court.
Good, keep fighting and eventually we'll beat these unscrupulous companies.
Old 23 March 2014, 07:40 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I know but I'm feeling confrontational - and it's p***ed me right off
Old 23 March 2014, 07:41 PM
Raptorman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
This^^^^

Also try this site for info, getoutofdebtfree.org
Old 23 March 2014, 07:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The old mantra of "unless it is council/police you can ignore" is unfortunatly outdated advice

The law has been changed recently giving them more powers of enforcement

(Obviously they have to conform to the correct legislation/signage/procedure etc - and if they have then they may well be able to enforce the fine)
Old 23 March 2014, 07:54 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

IIRC they can "force" you to disclose the driver, that's about it. Since there was no charge for parking (but you still need to display the 'free' ticket) they have suffered no loss. I can't see any judge in the land awarding them anything, especially since I had a valid disabled badge on display!
Old 23 March 2014, 08:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Did you display the free ticket?

If they just have a photo of the rear of your car, and the disabled badge was in the front - then they will lose with that evidence.

By writing back to you, they have entered your contract for £50 per letter - I would draw up an invoice and send it to them.

They have changed the law so now these private car parks have a lot more power and are winning cases ..... it's not a case of ignoring a request for payment these days.

I would fight, but that's because I am a cantankerous old **** ...... wait for their summons and counter claim your agreed costs.

Let them attend court .......
Old 23 March 2014, 08:59 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to reading the outcome of this. Im glad I live in Scotland where this isn't as large a problem as it is for our Southern cousins.

I gotta laugh at companies like KFC up here with the signs up threatening to clamp your car if you stay for longer than two hours as clamping is illegal in Scotland as it is considered extortion and only the DVLA / Police are allowed to clamp vehicles here.
Old 23 March 2014, 09:00 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

I will have my day Pete
Old 24 March 2014, 08:06 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck mate .. fight fight fight
Old 24 March 2014, 08:49 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

It will never get to court. They will quietly drop it. You will have to issue small claims to the court to get all your costs re £50 per letter.
Old 24 March 2014, 10:25 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If the car park in question has one or more BPA notices then they can enforce their PCNs, but I'm yet to hear of one that has done so even for a genuine case whereas yours is clearly a 'mistake' on behalf of the parking attendant. If they don;t have BPA notices ignore them completely.

Either way I wouldn't correspond any further and my guess is you will get a threatening letter or letters from a debt collection agency next that when you look them up on Companies House will just happen to be the same company as the parking company or have the same address or the likes. It's a legalised scam that the government seem reluctant to deal with (as is usual with our w4nker politicians).

Only if you get a court notice should you even worry and even then you have the evidence to prove your innocence, but I doubt very very VERY much that it will get that far.

With all due respect the only mistake you made was communicating with them. They then prioritise you somewaht for further communication or so it has been summised. Anyway what is done is done and I am fully confident you will just stop hearing from them eventually!
Old 24 March 2014, 12:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Shock! Horror!

"Government reluctant to deal with legal scam that milks motorists for even more cash...!"
Old 24 March 2014, 04:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

1.Did you appeal within the time frame for appeals.
2.Have they replied specifically to your appeal. ie not a standard letter about paying within a timeframe.
3.Who is the parking company.

I was caught by parking eye 12 months ago. I appealed, it took three months to get a reply. (but the "standard" letters kept coming).

It is still ongoing btw, and yes, they do take "some" people to court.
Old 24 March 2014, 04:10 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Parking Eye do these days, I was caught out on a short(ish) stay carpark when i went to watch the footy and yes i know i shouldnt have parked there, lol, Got it revoked and cancelled within a week
Old 24 March 2014, 04:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Have Parking Eye have won a court case yet though?
Old 24 March 2014, 05:58 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G.Mac
Looking forward to reading the outcome of this. Im glad I live in Scotland where this isn't as large a problem as it is for our Southern cousins.

I gotta laugh at companies like KFC up here with the signs up threatening to clamp your car if you stay for longer than two hours as clamping is illegal in Scotland as it is considered extortion and only the DVLA / Police are allowed to clamp vehicles here.
No toll roads either.some south of the border still think the Forth bridge is a toll
Old 24 March 2014, 06:45 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by DYK
No toll roads either.some south of the border still think the Forth bridge is a toll
The Forth Bridge is technically a toll, since you need a train ticket to cross it
Old 24 March 2014, 08:01 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
It will never get to court. They will quietly drop it. You will have to issue small claims to the court to get all your costs re £50 per letter.
Maybe, but I won't. I fully intend to see this through to court unless they pay me £50.

Originally Posted by paulr
1.Did you appeal within the time frame for appeals.
2.Have they replied specifically to your appeal. ie not a standard letter about paying within a timeframe.
3.Who is the parking company.
I wrote a letter, not a direct appeal, but a letter within a few days, so in essence, yes. I've only had a standard response back from them, not a reply or even an acknowledgment of my initial letter to them. It wasn't parking eye, but another 'approved' cunch of bunts.

Originally Posted by f1_fan
If the car park in question has one or more BPA notices then they can enforce their PCNs, but I'm yet to hear of one that has done so even for a genuine case whereas yours is clearly a 'mistake' on behalf of the parking attendant. If they don;t have BPA notices ignore them completely.

Either way I wouldn't correspond any further and my guess is you will get a threatening letter or letters from a debt collection agency next that when you look them up on Companies House will just happen to be the same company as the parking company or have the same address or the likes. It's a legalised scam that the government seem reluctant to deal with (as is usual with our w4nker politicians).

Only if you get a court notice should you even worry and even then you have the evidence to prove your innocence, but I doubt very very VERY much that it will get that far.

With all due respect the only mistake you made was communicating with them. They then prioritise you somewaht for further communication or so it has been summised. Anyway what is done is done and I am fully confident you will just stop hearing from them eventually!
Mistake, no, not this time! I fully want them to try it on with me, call me PSL if you like but they've made a mistake and made threats. So let them take me to court (which is highly unlikely) and I'll tear them a new arsehole. If I have to issue a summons then it will be in a court local to them - which means if (once!) I win I can claim expenses too - I've already advised them of my costs £150 a day + travel and other expenses. My travel is £500 alone due to the distance. This could become quite lucrative for me

I've another one ongoing with a similar outfit whereby I parked at my customers premises and received a ticket. I should have signed for a permit but the guy I wanted to see wasn't in so I left. I returned to my car about 5 minutes later where a parking womble was completing a ticket. I explained and he just repeated permit, permit. So I told him to stuff it, see me in court if you like but it's not being paid. I've had three chasers so far and I'm quaking in my boots
Old 24 March 2014, 08:11 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Can these people lodge a negative entry with the credit reference agencies
Old 24 March 2014, 08:26 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Have Parking Eye have won a court case yet though?
Only for the cases where the offender did not respond as far as i believe, Its easy enough to get rid of it before it goes that far...so why ignore ...I just don`t get that personally unless they are acting on bad advice?
Old 24 March 2014, 08:41 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
The Forth Bridge is technically a toll, since you need a train ticket to cross it
Never needed a train ticket to cross it in my vehicle....
Old 24 March 2014, 08:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Can these people lodge a negative entry with the credit reference agencies
For that to happen they have to take you to court, then they have to win the case and an order is made to pay. If you pay straight away, no entry is made. It's only when you don't pay. So you have a long way to go.
Old 24 March 2014, 08:52 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Oh aye, I hope you sent them your letter recorded delivery to prove that they received it, if not send another!!!!
Old 24 March 2014, 08:52 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Yes, interesting, and that's what I would have thought

But I had an unpaid bill registered on my credit file 15 odd years ago

It was done by Vodaphone, I cancelled the contract and paid up the balance (or so I thought) as I got a new job (and phone - and I have never had a personal mobile since)

Fast forward a few (3) years and I got tuned down for a credit card - suspicious I paid for an experience credit report - and there it was, an unpaid bill of £60 odd pounds

I rang vodaphone and paid immediately - I did not even bother to argue the toss tbh

And in fact they we very good at removing from the credit file

Bu I am pretty certain they did not take me to court etc

This was all 14 odd years ago, maybe the rules have changed

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 24 March 2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 24 March 2014, 09:16 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Only for the cases where the offender did not respond as far as i believe, Its easy enough to get rid of it before it goes that far...so why ignore ...I just don`t get that personally unless they are acting on bad advice?
Because in the past it's always been far easier to get rid of it if you don't respond.

I only had a quick look, but as yet can't find one case they've won reagrdless of whether someone responded or not (before the court summons). As I said only had a quick look though!

If it's not a BPA car park I still wouldn't respond and even if it was I would wait and see what ensues!

Quick Reply: Parking companies grrrrrr