Notices
News & Announcements Official ScoobyNet News and Announcements. Check here regularly to be kept up to date.

Thank you everyone, and all the best

Old 10 November 2008, 11:27 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you everyone, and all the best

Dear friends

(Simon here)

Well this is it. Having spent 10 years as your webby, and the last year or so supporting Internet Brands to get up to speed, I've decided now is the time to step down, and hand over the reins.

I can't possibly explain in a single post how privileged I feel to have had this opportunity.

God knows its been hard, being the bad guy, taking the flack, and having to make the crappy decisions that will inevitatbly mean upsetting some people in order to protect, to the best of my ability and judgement (right sometimes, wrong others), the community as a whole and steer the ship in the direction I have believed at the time you all wanted to go in.

But its also been an incredible experience.

I have learnt so much over the years, about so many subjects it would be impossible to list, but I've also learnt loads about myself, in an environment so unforgiving, that every decision you make will ultimately affect a large group of people positively, and a large group of people negatively all at the same time - there really is nowhere to hide.

When I took over scoobynet, at a time when it had been closed due to legal issues, I had very little idea about how websites work. I had no idea quite how big a challenge it would be to run ScoobyNet, and certainly no idea how big it would become.

I've learnt along the way, and in no small part, this journey has been supported by my good friend and ex-business-partner, Shaun.

Not afraid to speak his mind, and to be criticised by those who dissagree, someone who is willing to stand up and be counted, and to accept that you're going to receive some horrible abuse for trying your best, Shaun has been a rock, through some of my worst and lowest times while running ScoobyNet, I really couldn't have done it without Shaun, and I'll always be grateful to him.

I know he feels the same, in that this experience has been life changing.

I realise, being the guy at the wheel, and having to deal with crap, day in day out, in an environment where most people are here just to have fun (as it should be), I've been a right miserable git at times, and there's no way you'll have agreed with every decision I've made, some of which have literally just been plain wrong! (we live and learn).

But I hope you believe I've done my best, and gone about steering things with integrity and to the absolute best of my abilities (strong in some areas, and weak in others), while always keeping in mind that the community absolutely comes first.

I know many people don't see me as a real person, with feelings and an actual life, with ups, downs, heartache, joy - getting drunk with mates and taking the **** out of each other, trying to earn a living, etc, etc - and instead see me as a faceless 'webmaster' who's only contact with them is to tell them, in a short and patronising tone 'you did bad'. Well all I can tell you is, its nothing personal, and my only excuse is that dealing with this kind of thing day in day out, your patience wears thin

I'm only human.

-

But enough of all that.

Thank you so much to :

THE MODERATORS:
who have had to deal with a portion of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" attacks on their character and integrity I've had to deal with, and really are the unsung heros of scoobynet.

Moderating scoobynet is INCREDIBLY tough, and they really should get more recognition for it. While I always tried to shield our mods from the personal attacks, by being the bad guy in the tough decisions, I also personally received a lot of praise when a good proportion of it should have gone to them. They are a superb team, and we've had some true greats over the years.

The Advertisers:
Who have supported ScoobyNet over the years, without whom we would not have been able to continue. It has been such a tough job balancing commercial realities with community freedom, but almost without exception, everyone has acted with integrity and honour. I really appreciate all your support - espcially to those who took a chance on us when we were small and in desperate need of the cash. You really stepped up to the plate.

and last but not least

THE COMMUNITY:
I've met some truly wonderful people (I've met some right wierdos as well, mind you! ), and I can honestly say that I am a better person for your judgement, your examples and your knowledge.

The ScoobyNet community is a wonderful thing, and to those who I've not got on with, I thank you too, as many of you have said 'I'm sure we'd get on really well in person - this is just my internet persona'.

-

I am SO grateful to not have to be the bad guy anymore. I'm so relieved not to have to look straight into ScoobyNet Policy when I log on in the morning, and I can't wait to go on holiday for the first time in ten years without having to have constant internet access.

I've worked on scoobynet in some way, every single day (christmas day, birthdays, from a hospital bed, every day of every holiday, airports, etc, etc) for 10 years.

Whilst it will feel as though I've lost a limb, I'm sure, I'm looking forward to a bit of rest.

I wish you, the moderators, the advertisers and Internet Brands, all the very best for the future.

Your friend

Simon

PS. IB will make an announcement soon as to my successor, and I'm sure you'll be in great hands.

Last edited by ex-webby; 10 November 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10 November 2008, 11:33 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for all of your hard work Simon.

I am sure we will stay in touch

Onwards and upwards for both you and SN (i hope)
Old 10 November 2008, 11:34 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck with the future Simon

Thanks for all your help and words of wisdom (even if I didnt follow them all the time )

Im sure you have enough to keep you out of trouble

Claire
and all at NYSOC
Old 10 November 2008, 11:39 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ex-webby

Moderating scoobynet is INCREDIBLY tough, and they really should get lots of money for it.
I agree

Thanks Simon, for all your support over the years, you've been a great boss to work for

Now you have told the new guy that we don't have to go through the initiation again haven't you? I don't think I could cope with that again, eight years on and I still have trouble sitting down...

Now please pass me a tissue, I think I'm gonna blub...
Old 10 November 2008, 12:03 PM
help2003
Scooby Regular

All the best simon,

just before you go, can you make sure the site is working 100% lol, as it will be the last time it is
Old 10 November 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Its a real shame to see you go Simon and from one Administrator to another, as far as i am concerned you have done an excellent job of running this place and keeping the commercial and community interaction working as well as it does. Ok so theres been some infractions along the way, well theres rarely smoke without fire, we all know that.

People will gripe, moan, scream and dig at you online, but be sure that not a single one of them would do so to your face nor could have done any better a job.

Enjoy the time off... it wont be long before you get that itch back and dive into another project that involves a damned internet connection and the mention of divorce... LOL.

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 10 November 2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers of course, why else?
Old 10 November 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Now you have told the new guy that we don't have to go through the initiation again haven't you? I don't think I could cope with that again, eight years on and I still have trouble sitting down...
Simon, before you pull the big lever for the last time, answer my PM!
Old 10 November 2008, 01:19 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

As long as any future internet-based project does not end up in the hands of IB you will do great!
Old 10 November 2008, 01:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I wish you all the best Simon, I know it could never be 'that easy' looking after such a big animal like Scoobynet and i think you have done a damn good job

I am now just waiting to see who out of the 'webby' moaners infract you first {now that your normal and all }
Old 10 November 2008, 01:20 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

We have had our Ups and Downs over the years but its been a pleasure, now enjoy your holiday where ever you end up

Phil
Old 10 November 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
As long as any future internet-based project does not end up in the hands of IB you will do great!
I feel so unloved...
Old 10 November 2008, 01:52 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

All the best Simon, thanks for your efforts on SN your successor has a hard task ahead.

Allan
Old 10 November 2008, 01:56 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
I feel so unloved...
Fix the search (which is completely knackered) and the go to last post (which has been shagged for weeks) and I am sure you will be loved
Old 10 November 2008, 02:02 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Thanks everyone , and thank you for all the nice PMs

Don't give IB a hard time.

I know there has been some teething trouble, but everyone deserves another chance. Cut them some slack, and lets support them getting everything up to speed and on an even keel again.
Old 10 November 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dynamix
Fix the search (which is completely knackered) and the go to last post (which has been shagged for weeks) and I am sure you will be loved
To save from taking Simon's post OT: Please follow me...

Old 10 November 2008, 02:11 PM
Luke
BANNED

Thanks everyone , and thank you for all the nice PMs

Don't give IB a hard time.

I know there has been some teething trouble, but everyone deserves another chance. Cut them some slack, and lets support them getting everything up to speed and on an even keel again.

"Support"

many members have paid you Simon for services that you at times failed to provide and now IB also . So please explain "support" is the correct term?
They are a business. They dont need our support. They need our respect.

In the "hand over time" you had time to arrange that these matters get sorted.

They need the members. They need to support the forum. if they dont , the forum dies.
The forum members have done enough "support " as it is.
Old 10 November 2008, 02:13 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck in what ever you decide to do next and of course in the future. I for one will miss talking to you on here

j
Old 10 November 2008, 02:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Onwards and upwards Simon We've not always seen eye to eye, but I'd say that is in the past. All the best.
Old 10 November 2008, 02:40 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
People will gripe, moan, scream and dig at you online, but be sure that not a single one of them would do so to your face

100% untrue, i'd have welcomed the chance when Muppets was being dismantled.

In any case, Simon, thanks for the existence of Scoobynet, i've had a lot of fun here during the early years especially, i wish you well.
Old 10 November 2008, 02:43 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Thanks for the hard work, good luck.
Old 10 November 2008, 02:52 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

All the best, Simon. Thanks for the hard work.

Tom
Old 10 November 2008, 02:55 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I've learnt along the way, and in no small part, this journey has been supported by my good friend and ex-business-partner, Shaun.

Shaun has been a rock, through some of my worst and lowest times while running ScoobyNet, I really couldn't have done it without Shaun, and I'll always be grateful to him.

I know he feels the same, in that this experience has been life changing.
do you realise how gay you sound
Old 10 November 2008, 03:23 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I am not really bothered by who the boss of scoobynet is or is not but I do feel like I have learn't something from watching you try to keep thousands of opinionated, argumentative people happy. You proved at least that whatever you try and do a whole load of people with no clue will jump up and get excited about it.
Old 10 November 2008, 04:22 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Simon

I know that you and I haven't always seen eye to eye on many a topic and on various occasions I have been known to shout '****' at my monitor
However as many have said on here, you certainly have kept the place interesting over the years and I, for one, am grateful for a place to vent my ramblings.

I wish you all the success in the future
Old 10 November 2008, 04:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Best wishes to you, Simon.
Old 10 November 2008, 05:09 PM
Devils.Advocate
Scooby Regular

You deserve the break
Old 10 November 2008, 05:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Just wanted to wish you luck in the future Simon. When we've spoken on a personal level I've always found you an interesting and honest guy - with an impossible job on here sometimes.

Good luck in the future, and I'll try catch you on msn from time to time
Old 10 November 2008, 06:04 PM
Plucking Pheasants
Scooby Regular

So, who is in charge of the WEBMASTER handle now?

Are we going to get a formal introduction of the new man(or woman) at the helm?

Simon, hope things go well from now on, and you can look back on all of this with good spirits; Don't let yourself become cynical and shoulder-chipped by the various negative aspects that have happened in the past. Believe me, it serves no use in later life.
Old 10 November 2008, 06:16 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

All the best Simon for the future
Old 10 November 2008, 06:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Best of luck Simon

Search this Thread