Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

08/09 Hatches, Stand up and show yourselves!!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2018, 09:32 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by domino46
mines also a 330
I’ve been a big admirer of you car dom as you can see to my previous posts
I wouldn’t swap it for my car if you had two of them
Old 27 March 2018, 06:52 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Not struck a nerve at all mate
There’s not been a reported engine failure with a Jdm hatch that I’ve seen as of yet and a lot lads have them remapped etc
In fact there was a Jdm thread a few years back with versions 8-9 running well in excess of 450 bhp for years wo issues
I based my decision to buy a Jdm in reading a lot of those threads
I think a standard uk car is pale in comparison hit the search button on here
good as it wasn't intended to upset anyone as I really like this thread and it has been very helpful with everyones input

from what iv read the pistons arnt the same as they were in the version 8-9 and are more similar material to the newer 2.5 pistons and are prone to the same problems

let say for arguments sake that 50% of the newer JDM hatchbacks have the same problems due to the piston type ,,, would we in the uk see the problem with the lack of JDM hatch numbers over here ?? (as performance seems to have built a few) ,, there are plenty of standard uk 2.5's still kicking about running good numbers but that doesn't mean all uk 2.5s are good as we have the number over here to prove otherwise

I agree that the easier models going JDM was the way to go due to head ports and piston type (not a fan of twin scroll) ,, but from what AS performance has said that isn't the case with the JDM hatchback and newer as there pistons are made from very similar material to the uk 2.5
Old 27 March 2018, 06:55 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
I’ve been a big admirer of you car dom as you can see to my previous posts
I wouldn’t swap it for my car if you had two of them
I also like your motor mate regardless of what engine it is running as that could always be swapped

its just my thoughts on the subject and I'm not trying to take anything away by my comments as I still think yours is a awesome car and would happily own it alone side all mine

would acutely be a very good addition to my collection
Old 27 March 2018, 10:38 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best news I’ve had in ages 😬
Old 27 March 2018, 04:22 PM
AbbasSTI
Scooby Regular

just stating the facts from what iv read,, it has similar problems by the sound of it we just don't get the numbers of them over here to see it so people assume there bullet proof

wouldn't give up my 2.5 as when built right its a awesome engine with the burble a Subaru should have lol
If it's just the pistons I'm surprised so many of 2.5 owners go for the CDB conversion. And since the JDM's have had these hypereutectic pistons for as long as the twin scroll has been around I'd say there's been a fair few over here now.
Old 27 March 2018, 07:16 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default What oil , forged.

Any ideas on what grade oil to top up with on a forged STI? Just to top up till service in a few weeks.
Old 27 March 2018, 10:51 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Any ideas on what grade oil to top up with on a forged STI? Just to top up till service in a few weeks.
The same as you are currently using would be the obvious choice..........
Old 28 March 2018, 11:39 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by kershaw-330s

Best news I’ve had in ages 😬
With any luck it might arrive over the bank holiday and avoid tax; none this time last year on my upper flexible front mount brace
Old 28 March 2018, 07:53 PM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
With any luck it might arrive over the bank holiday and avoid tax; none this time last year on my upper flexible front mount brace
is that actoually a possibility ? It’s in the air as we speak , Would be lovely if that were to happen 😬

Last edited by kershaw-330s; 28 March 2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03 April 2018, 10:57 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit
anybody ever suffered from this? Long cranking to get started/maybe not starting at all?

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-gener...-know-why.html

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/warranty...any-ideas.html

im starting to get it on my 330s over past couple of months....basically you cannot jump in and hit the button to start anymore. well you can but its a 50/50 chance it'll start.

need to go through the stages of ignition on/dial sweep/then start.

initially thought it was a crank sensor issue as that what eventually throw a CEL after a long time cranking. a quick wiggle of the crank sensor loom wire would then 'seemingly' cure it, and i wondered if it was a dry joint so took that off and cleaned it up - but still has the issue - i can now even time it so that it wont through the CEL but will still require a loom wiggle to start

i'm wondering if its battery related - battery seems strong enough but ive read they are susceptible to even slightest deterioration in battery power

once started the car has zero running issues and runs perfectly
follow up...

Replaced battery few weeks ago as it showed it was pretty low on CCA. This didn't cure my problem

car finally decided on Monday it was going to refuse to start no matter what. No CEL just continual cranking. In meantime I'd picked up a new genuine crank sensor on Japan eBay for humble money (compared to the £160 the dealers wanted!) Swapped it in and car is now working 100% again. Will start on button without it needing to cycle through ignition on, sweep etc.
Old 04 April 2018, 07:35 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
follow up...

Replaced battery few weeks ago as it showed it was pretty low on CCA. This didn't cure my problem

car finally decided on Monday it was going to refuse to start no matter what. No CEL just continual cranking. In meantime I'd picked up a new genuine crank sensor on Japan eBay for humble money (compared to the £160 the dealers wanted!) Swapped it in and car is now working 100% again. Will start on button without it needing to cycle through ignition on, sweep etc.

interesting glad lad you got it sorted .. I see someone on the Subaru club on fb was having a very similar problem in a blob , he would get in his car and it would never start first time but always second 🤷🏻*♂️, are you running TGv deletes on your car ?
Old 04 April 2018, 07:41 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Default Importing parts

My parcel is on its way from Japan , but appears to be stuck in customs in Coventry . Just says on the tracker awaiting customs clearance and has done for 3 days now 😕 , I’m totally aware there will be fees to pay on the parcel , but previously when I’ve ordered from Japan , they deliver the parcel to the local depot and you can pay and collect the parcel there , just wondering if this is still the case? or will the fees need paying before it leaves Coventry and I just need to wait for the letter ? ,, slightly concerned because it keeps going into limbo , left Japan took 4 days to arrive in the uk , then was processed now it seems to be in limbo again not moved for another 3 days 😕
Old 04 April 2018, 07:43 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

My parcel is on its way from Japan , but appears to be stuck in customs in Coventry . Just says on the tracker awaiting customs clearance and has done for 3 days now 😕 , I’m totally aware there will be fees to pay on the parcel , but previously when I’ve ordered from Japan , they deliver the parcel to the local depot and you can pay and collect the parcel there , just wondering if this is still the case? or will the fees need paying before it leaves Coventry and I just need to wait for the letter ? ,, slightly concerned because it keeps going into limbo , left Japan took 4 days to arrive in the uk , then was processed now it seems to be in limbo again not moved for another 3 days 😕
bank holiday won't be helping with the post
Old 04 April 2018, 08:28 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

interesting glad lad you got it sorted .. I see someone on the Subaru club on fb was having a very similar problem in a blob , he would get in his car and it would never start first time but always second 🤷🏻*♂️, are you running TGv deletes on your car ?
yeah mine was very intermittent though it did start initially with an intermittent CEL on starting, but then when it finally give up it didnt give any CEL.

nope no TGV deletes - i keep them in as they help (ever so slightly) the economy on the daily commute

any time ive got stuff from Japan, its said its stuck in customs - then eventually turns up long before the tracking is updated online
Old 04 April 2018, 09:47 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

My parcel is on its way from Japan , but appears to be stuck in customs in Coventry . Just says on the tracker awaiting customs clearance and has done for 3 days now �� , I’m totally aware there will be fees to pay on the parcel , but previously when I’ve ordered from Japan , they deliver the parcel to the local depot and you can pay and collect the parcel there , just wondering if this is still the case? or will the fees need paying before it leaves Coventry and I just need to wait for the letter ? ,, slightly concerned because it keeps going into limbo , left Japan took 4 days to arrive in the uk , then was processed now it seems to be in limbo again not moved for another 3 days ��
Hae had items languishing in Coventry for a week or more before - depends how busy the UK Border Force agents are. (apparently out of the hands of ParcelForce as to how long they take to process it and get it back in the sytem)
A reply I got from Parcelforce having waited a week for one item to re appear from that dark hole........................

Dear Donald
Thank you for your email.
Our tracking confirms your parcel is currently with UK Border Force (UKBF) awaiting Customs clearance.UKBF and Parcelforce are separate organisations, as such we have no control over the length of time that it will take for your parcel to clear. The delivery speed guarantee does cease when the item has been presented to Customs and restarts once the item has been released. Regretfully, I'm unable to give you a date of when your parcel will be released back into the Parcelforce network for delivery.

If your parcel is released with no charges we will attempt delivery the first possible working day.
If your parcel is released with charges a letter regarding this will be sent to you, this includes a 17 digit reference number that you will need to pay the amount required. The parcel will be held in your local depot pending payment. When your parcel is released from Customs, if you haven't received your letter within 7 days of release, please email us again and we'll be happy to help you with this.You can pay your charges online here or you can call our customer service team on 03448 004466 (calls are charges at national rates). Once payment has been received you are able to select a convenient delivery date.
You can track your item by clicking here.

Glenys - Email Team
Old 04 April 2018, 11:05 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Hae had items languishing in Coventry for a week or more before - depends how busy the UK Border Force agents are. (apparently out of the hands of ParcelForce as to how long they take to process it and get it back in the sytem)
A reply I got from Parcelforce having waited a week for one item to re appear from that dark hole........................
cheers for the replies guys looks like I just need to wait for customs to do their thing , shame because I was hoping to fit them this weekend in the heat wave we’re going to have haha
Old 04 April 2018, 04:33 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Have a new Perrin inner wing induction kit in black for sale on Gumtree and a few Subaru Facebook pages.
Anyone on here interested before I list it on eBay ?

(which I don't want to do as they're a rip off)

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 04 April 2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04 April 2018, 11:18 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

what does it mean when...

in sports#
DCCD in Auto, but you go + on controller.

been told you get extra performance.. is that right?
Old 05 April 2018, 06:47 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
what does it mean when...

in sports#
DCCD in Auto, but you go + on controller.

been told you get extra performance.. is that right?
dccd setting just the centre diff bias ,, auto + puts slightly more to the front wheels

depends on what you mean by extra performance ,, it will handle differently but no extra power just different grip performance
Old 05 April 2018, 07:42 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

dccd setting just the centre diff bias ,, auto + puts slightly more to the front wheels

depends on what you mean by extra performance ,, it will handle differently but no extra power just different grip performance
not sure about the slightly more to the front wheels because that’s not how the dccd works anyway , it alters the amount of slip between the front and rear wheels the power delivery is alway , 41 fr - 59 rear iirc , putting it in plus mode , tightens the diffs , slows less slip and also increases the traction control and abs setting to make them more sensitive . There is a good video on YouTube which explains the dccd really well. ,

I have a question tho , when you how down the tc button for a couple seconds the tc light comes on but is green , what does this mean ?
Old 05 April 2018, 07:48 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

This isn’t the one I was looking for but still explains the different settings a lil bit

thats it 👍🏼

And this ones all about the center diff

Last edited by kershaw-330s; 05 April 2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05 April 2018, 08:43 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Have to laugh at the middle video. Turn traction control off if you want to go on the track. I bet if your pistons melted and you told Subaru UK it happened on a track they'd just laugh at you.
Old 05 April 2018, 09:26 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

not sure about the slightly more to the front wheels because that’s not how the dccd works anyway , it alters the amount of slip between the front and rear wheels the power delivery is alway , 41 fr - 59 rear iirc , putting it in plus mode , tightens the diffs , slows less slip and also increases the traction control and abs setting to make them more sensitive . There is a good video on YouTube which explains the dccd really well. ,

I have a question tho , when you how down the tc button for a couple seconds the tc light comes on but is green , what does this mean ?
might of explained it wrong

the centre diff controls the torque split between the front and rear diff ,,, i.e. the more you lock it up the more it goes toward a 50-50 split , i.e. power delivery to front and rear wheels is the same ,, putting it in auto+ will make it ajust for front end grip on slippery roads

in your video he says the the computer ajusts where the grip needs to be and will move it forward or back depending on where it needs to be

when the green traction control light is on the system is in "traction mode" , when it stays yellow the system is turned off

owners manual is a good read lol

Last edited by domino46; 05 April 2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05 April 2018, 11:16 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

might of explained it wrong

the centre diff controls the torque split between the front and rear diff ,,, i.e. the more you lock it up the more it goes toward a 50-50 split , i.e. power delivery to front and rear wheels is the same ,, putting it in auto+ will make it ajust for front end grip on slippery roads

in your video he says the the computer ajusts where the grip needs to be and will move it forward or back depending on where it needs to be

when the green traction control light is on the system is in "traction mode" , when it stays yellow the system is turned off

owners manual is a good read lol
but auto plus won’t put any more to the front than in regular auto , it will jus allow less slip at the rear , I find the owners manual vague and in places contradictory , this is with the tc off because as it says in the video Subaru use a breaking system with their tc which is increased when put in auto plus

What im trying to say which I think your trying to get at is the fact when you it in auto plus it’s not constantly sending more torque to the front only in a slip contidition hence the auto but if you were to put in manual yes that would be case , that’s why auto plus for more slippery condition and auto - for dry condition

Last edited by kershaw-330s; 05 April 2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06 April 2018, 07:13 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

it means you've turned it off.
Old 06 April 2018, 07:16 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salsa-king
it means you've turned it off.
Yellow is fully off

Green semi-off is the way to go
Old 06 April 2018, 08:28 AM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Yellow is fully off

Green semi-off is the way to go
yes it’s weird how one press is fully off and hold is stability mode 🧐 , the opposite to the saloon , watching the vid , I think the wheel breaking is de activated , but the revs are electronically limited when slip occurs to stop you spinning the car , but still alowes some slip
Old 06 April 2018, 08:43 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, fully on is too intrusive, plus eats the brakes
Old 07 April 2018, 04:29 PM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

Finally picked up my parcel today can anyone guess what I’ve got 😬
Old 08 April 2018, 10:45 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

R205 black fender emblems (how much did you pay for them?), Cusco steering rack bracket and something from Laile.

Last edited by fpan; 08 April 2018 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 08/09 Hatches, Stand up and show yourselves!!!