Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Back in an Impreza again....2.5 Hawk this time!

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2018, 10:45 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Back in an Impreza again....2.5 Hawk this time!

After finally shaking off the financial burdens of a house purchase, my wedding, and a best mates wedding.... I've been able to treat myself to another Impreza again. Just in time for our new baby arrival as well!
Sadly, my budget didn't quite stretch to an STI...but it did allow me to try something different. So I've gone for a 2006 completely standard 2.5 WRX Saloon in grey. Since I'm now adult'ing as well, I even opted one for which hasn't had a high level spoiler fitted, and runs a standard exhaust!

I haven't got any great pics of it yet. but it's a very clean car having only had 2 previous low mileage owners, and the drive of the 2.5 is lovely around town - you get used to having the extra torque available very quickly.

This is the only pic I have so far, the modifying has started...but I plan to keep it subtle with this one. So first up, I changed the front plate for a slightly smaller one:

[IMG]
[IMG]

My plan is to get some coilovers on, fit either some GT1's or Turini's in gun metal grey, and add a front lip. Just to give it an enhanced look, but still keep it fairly conservative. If I get it right, it will look something like one of my friends old Spec D (except without the rear arch extensions obviously):

[IMG]
[IMG]

The car is booked in with Mark at TDR this afternoon so we can get it on a lift and give it a once over underneath...and then we'll go from there. Good to be back! And for anyone wondering, I've found the car great so far for child seat and push chair fitment in boot.

Just for reference, my old cars:

[IMG]
[IMG]
Old 19 October 2018, 11:14 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Lovely. Welcome back!!!
Old 19 October 2018, 11:19 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Hi

I'm at thwaites later with my jeep so may see you there. Nice looking car by the way
Old 19 October 2018, 12:24 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Lovely. Welcome back!!!
ta

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Hi

I'm at thwaites later with my jeep so may see you there. Nice looking car by the way
Ah ok cool, will keep an eye out. I'm going about 4ish.
Old 22 October 2018, 09:47 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Hi

Saw you bud. I was running a bit late (awful traffic), I was just pulling in and parking as you were headed out in the jeep. You get the jeep sorted? Will have a chat if I see you in future, as I'm sure ill be spending some more time there soon.
Old 22 October 2018, 10:57 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste333
Saw you bud. I was running a bit late (awful traffic), I was just pulling in and parking as you were headed out in the jeep. You get the jeep sorted? Will have a chat if I see you in future, as I'm sure ill be spending some more time there soon.
hi

Yeah traffic was terrible on Friday. Yeah jeep all good now mate and had a good chat with mark about my build next year. What was your car in for?
Old 22 October 2018, 02:01 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Just a general lookover for me Get it up in the air and have a mooch underneath so I can get an idea of what I may need to address/improve first.

Fortunately, other than some slightly tired standard rear shocks, and a bit of surface corrosion.... it got a clean bill of health. So coilovers up first I think
Old 22 October 2018, 05:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Just a general lookover for me Get it up in the air and have a mooch underneath so I can get an idea of what I may need to address/improve first.

Fortunately, other than some slightly tired standard rear shocks, and a bit of surface corrosion.... it got a clean bill of health. So coilovers up first I think
i hjave gone for tein flex z on my hawkeye and they are really really good, better build quality than cheap BC's and plent of adjustment in them. i had them fitted and set up by simon @ chevron motorsport in stafford.
Old 23 October 2018, 07:04 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

i hjave gone for tein flex z on my hawkeye and they are really really good, better build quality than cheap BC's and plent of adjustment in them. i had them fitted and set up by simon @ chevron motorsport in stafford.
are they really hard though? I know historically that the Tein stuff is a firmer ride than most...but that may have changed now...

I've got a little baby to transport round now, so don't want to sacrifice too much comfort
Old 23 October 2018, 07:10 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

are they really hard though? I know historically that the Tein stuff is a firmer ride than most...but that may have changed now...

I've got a little baby to transport round now, so don't want to sacrifice too much comfort
depends which spring rate you go for, i honestly dont find them too hard at all- yes they are harder than the std suspension but you will get that with all coilovers.
Old 30 October 2018, 07:08 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not all. My BC's run 8/6 and feel softer than standard, because there's no harshness at all. But then again, they are £1,800 worth so you'd expect decent damping on them. ZR model. Lovely!
Old 04 December 2018, 09:56 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update So I bought some exhaust parts off MB, as my car isn't a Prodrive one.

Then proceeded to give the prodrive box a good polish up. It came up really well in about 10 mins using the Autosol stuff:

Then it was back to TDR yesterday to see Mark and get a good winter service done, as well as my lovely polished exhaust fitted, and my HT Autos front lip fitted. I had a Cosworth air filter fitted (panel), new spark plugs, new cabin filter (which I'm glad we did as the old one had gone black!), new oil and filter, fresh gearbox and diff oils.

The old removed original cat back unit - which was in VGC:

The lip sets it off so well. I was going to wait until after winter, but the Mrs was driving me mad about the amount of space it was taking up in the spare room!

So im happy for the moment, this will keep me going until Jan/Feb. Then next on the list are:

Wash the car!
New radiator as it's started to bow a bit..... and fresh coolant
Downpipe fit, air pump remove and remap
Walbro 255
Coilovers
Wheels....

We'll get there eventually! I'm super happy with the exhaust tone for daily duties though. The combo of de-res centre pipe and prodrive box is enough to make it sound like a subaru, and sounds great on boost! But not so loud that it makes it unbearable in the car, and will upset all the neighbours. Highly recommend this combo to anyone daily driving theirs who want something subtle.

Last edited by Ste333; 04 December 2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05 December 2018, 06:08 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

looking good buddy and good choice on using thwaites
Old 05 December 2018, 06:38 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Lovely car this, mind you so was your blob STI
Old 06 December 2018, 07:15 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

looking good buddy and good choice on using thwaites
cheers matey

Originally Posted by Pete
Lovely car this, mind you so was your blob STI
Thanks bud. Yeah I do miss the black one, was a great car...

Old 18 December 2018, 02:04 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lookis very nice and clean look. i think with GT1 wheels and coilovers it will be spot on
Old 18 December 2018, 02:07 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

just treated it to a black lower Zunsport grill as well on the GB.... so it's coming together. Thanks mate
Old 18 December 2018, 03:13 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Good choice.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:07 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

more progress...slow but getting there.

Wheels dropped off at my pals for refurb and paint....

Coilovers purchased:

Hopefully it'll come together over the next few weeks. Need to get my Zunsport grill on as well.