Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Caught the bug

Old 14 March 2018, 11:35 PM
Alyn T
Scooby Newbie

Default Caught the bug

So this happened on Monday

It's been about 5 years since I sold my last impreza, a blob sti. I've regretted it basically the whole time, even a fling with an S1 Elise didn't do it for me. Anyway this came up for sale last week at the right sort of price and not a million miles away. The right price was due to few faults but over all it was clean enough and the fella was up front about said faults, so a deal was struck and now she is parked on the drive.

Absolutely loving being back behind the wheel of an impreza!
Old 14 March 2018, 11:38 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

excellent choice to come back to the fold with. the bug sti has matured like a fine wine from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan (i should know i own one too )
Old 14 March 2018, 11:39 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Very nice indeed get some more pics up
Old 14 March 2018, 11:56 PM
Alyn T
Scooby Newbie

I would have to agree with the beautiful swan bit, been loving the look of the bugeye more and more over the last few years. Personally I can't seen past the prodrive bumper either though.

I'll get more pics up when I take some. She is pretty much standard with the exception of a back box and dump valve.
Old 15 March 2018, 06:12 PM
Alyn T
Scooby Newbie

I took a couple of quick pics whilst putting the car on the ramp earlier, excuse the poor quality, lighting and general state of the car.

Then a little while later we had to crack out the welder, gas, hammers and various other tools, just to remove a stud from an exhaust flange :-(

All we set out to do was change out a passing gasket, would have helped if I had actually got the right gasket in the first place!
Old 17 March 2018, 07:01 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Nice. The bug shape has really grown on me over the years. I almost put a cheeky bid on a JDM model.
Looks like a good example.
Old 17 March 2018, 08:18 PM
MrExgS
Scooby Regular

Yes I'm also warming to the bugs nice to see them being looked after
Old 17 March 2018, 08:35 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

my bug, not a prodrive but i love it .
Old 17 March 2018, 11:39 PM
Alyn T
Scooby Newbie

Thatís a very clean looking bug youíve got yourself! Mine is only a prodrive style, not performance, but with the exception of the front bumper Iím not sure what else is different?!
Old 18 March 2018, 12:44 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

clocks, skirts, bumper, grille and rear spoiler. basically all cosmetic. everything else is the same i believe. the jdm sti prodrive has a roof flap and revs to 8000 rpm with more aggresive cams iirc and a vf34 as opposed to the vf35 on ours. it also has an auto function for the water spray alongside the normal manual spray button our cars have. i think the jdm has auto folding mirrors as well.
Old 09 February 2019, 09:50 PM
Alyn T
Scooby Newbie

So after doing very little with the bug last year, other things got in the way (wedding). I finally thought it was time give her some tlc.
First off a timing belt kit

And 2nd was the infamous leaking rocker cover gaskets

However it became pretty clear that there is a lot more work required. The car is getting a bit tired, a fair few breather and vacuum pipes have become so brittle that they snapped on removal. The engine management light is now on but I'm fairly sure that's due to the big crack in the intake flex pipe. So one of these has been ordered.

So the plan going forward is to start replacing/upgrading the pipe work in the engine bay, as well seeing what else has past it's sell by date.