Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

My Scooby in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2002, 11:16 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just recently returned from a couple of weeks in Ireland, and finally got round to posting these. It was very wet, the roads bumpy, and there's no finer car in which to enjoy the conditions

Andy.
Old 13 June 2002, 11:25 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

now that's the roads you need for a scoob!
Old 14 June 2002, 05:09 AM
lego
Scooby Regular

ok hk lets swap A4 for the N6
Old 17 June 2002, 08:04 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nice pics Andy,

I see the usual Irish summer weather prevails!

The road surface looks too good to be Connemara but the mountains have that West of Ireland look! If so, I hope your wheels didn't buckle like mine!

Cheers

Jerome
Old 17 June 2002, 08:11 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I'll say it again! thats one stunning looking Scooby
Old 18 June 2002, 08:48 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It was one of the less bumpy roads in Connemara - well spotted!

Suffice to say, I'm glad I was in a UK car and not an STI - my suspension (and backbone!) got the workout of their lives that week. The car actually survived remarkably well, with only a few stone chips and a thick coating of mud to show for several days' hammering along soggy backroads.

I'll dig out the road numbers at some point; some of the roads around Galway are the best I've ever driven, bumpiness notwithstanding. Just make sure your suspension isn't too hard, and take some octane booster along - Irish fuel is 95 RON at best, and my PPP didn't think much of it.

Surprisingly, for such an otherwise laid-back part of the world, the Irish drivers I came across seemed very impatient and aggressive, which was a bit sad. Tailgating seemed to be the norm, and speed limit signs purely decorative (and I commute on the M25!). They were easily left behind once the roads became interesting, though

Well worth a visit IMHO.

A.
Old 18 June 2002, 08:51 AM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Andy,

nice car, and nice pics.

What sort of camera did you use for those?

Mike.
Old 18 June 2002, 09:04 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mike

It's a Canon EOS D-30, digital SLR, with a 28-135mm image stabilised zoom lens. My other toy

Andy.
Old 18 June 2002, 01:14 PM
Vans
Scooby Regular

Surprisingly, for such an otherwise laid-back part of the world, the Irish drivers I came across seemed very impatient and aggressive, which was a bit sad. Tailgating seemed to be the norm, and speed limit signs purely decorative (and I commute on the M25!). They were easily left behind once the roads became interesting, though

Andy,

Nice Impreza you have there with great roads did you come across any other Subaru enthusiasts while enjoying the wet weather in Ireland?

I agree totally with your comments It seems to always be a race with most Irish drivers on the road and I come across this type of driving every day over here [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Maybe it has something to do with more than 365 people dying on the roads over here every year

Sadly the majority of Irish drivers turn into lunatics when they jump into their cars and think that they are always in the right when even most of the time they are doing something wrong

Vans
Old 18 June 2002, 08:00 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Andy, I am hitting that part of the world in August for a holiday and will "give her a blast around the lakes" but I'll have to dump the wifey & kids and roofbox in some hotel which will cost!

I agree with the point on aggressive driving in Ireland and basically, you have got to be the same. Those driving non turbo diesels seem to be the worst and particularily like driving along the middle of the road! Perhaps they are following the instructions at the bottom of the Irish Driver's licence a little too literally:-

"TEAR ALONG THE DOTTED LINE"

Jerome

Old 20 June 2002, 12:54 PM
RONAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

AndyC,
sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the driving over here,I know what your talking about,at least you enjoyed the roads,made for the scooby or what!
If anybody is coming over on holidays post it on scoobynet and we could arrange a meet with other scooby drivers here,what you think?
Old 21 June 2002, 08:54 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Wink

Andy,

Good to finally see the photos mate. They look fantastic. I see the Scoob has not lost any of it's charm

The roads look great. I took some photos of my two weeks in the Scottish Highlands, but I'll have to show you them as they were taken with an ordinary camera! And the quality was probably pretty poor. Must get them developed... (I went in February 2002 )

How much did the camera set you back and could you email me a description of how to get the pictures from a decent digital camera onto a PC? Also, are we still on for next weekend? Have you picked up the new baby yet?

Cracking photos mate.

Maz.
Old 22 June 2002, 10:12 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Talking

Vans: I didn't actually get to chat to any other Scooby owners, but I did spot a fair few Imprezas around the towns. Quite a few were non-turbo models, although there was also a very smart white, early model STI with a massive rear wing in Cork.

JFB: LOL!

Maz: you're right, it hasn't lost its charm. Before I went, I thought I was getting bored of the car, having had it 2 1/2 years and used it mainly for commuting to work along the motorway. Ten minutes into a backroad blat around Galway, it dawned on me that it's the M25 that I'm bored of, not the car!

Seriously, the Scooby is in its element - tons of grip, loads of power, and roads that really test the abilities of the car and its driver. There are lots of sweeping bends, not too many blind corners, and plenty of places to overtake. If ever I doubted how much more capable a Scooby is than a 'normal' car (and let's face it, any car can cruise along a motorway), there's now no question.

We can chat about cameras when you come along to see us next week. Do get your shots of the Highlands developed, though.

I pick up the new baby tomorrow - wahey!

A.
Old 22 June 2002, 08:47 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Wink

Put the shots in today. They are from a £5.99 kodak disposable bought two days into the journey at Kinlocheven (this weird little hut run by an old guy with all sorts of outdoor gear in it - you need to call him and within 5 mins he comes and opens up the place especially for you; really cool. He's an ex-rally driver too). The reason for the late purchase was that my camera tore up films (old one, I'm afraid) . As such, the pics may be poor quality, but I'll bring them with me when I come. Can you call my mobile as soon as you get this (from your home) so I can get your home number?

Enjoy the new addition to the Cawte household and best to Mrs C.

As for cameras - I've been looking at Digital Cameras and reckon I can get £150-200 together for one. Should be able to get something reasonable and entry-level that I can download onto PC via USB cable port.

M.

[Edited by Maz - 6/22/2002 8:50:11 PM]