Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Avalyn's Hawkeye STi

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2017, 09:08 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avalyn's Hawkeye STi

I thought it would be good (for me at least ) to keep a thread running as I make changes to my recently acquired Hawkeye STi.

I bought the car a few weeks ago, and after years of automatics (PDK, S-Tronic and ZF) and 'posh' cars with toys, I cannot emphasize enough, how nice it is to get back to my roots (and pretend I'm in my 20's again) and have a Scooby on the driveway. Basic maybe, but just a turn of the key puts a smile on my face, which is more than can be said for the S3

Anyway .. here's my 'new' car arriving, supposedly standard

Name:  IMG_9961.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  186.8 KB

First thing I notice, errrm that's not a standard pipe .. but we can deal with that later on, it's nice, but a tad loud for me for a daily ..

Name:  IMG_0058.jpg
Size:  131.1 KB

First things first .. lets get the Fischer Price head unit updated

Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Size:  163.6 KB

In with a new Kenwood Double Din with iPhone connection and Spotify App

Name:  IMG_0010.jpg
Size:  209.8 KB

I used the original cage but it doesn't sit flush, so have some rubber washers somewhere I am going to use to pull it out a few mm, but there are plans so not just now ..

Name:  IMG_0015.jpg
Size:  151.6 KB

Mats from Scoobyworld

Name:  IMG_0017.jpg
Size:  218.3 KB

Got some used centre console pieces from MB Developments, and a gauge pod from Scoobyworld

Name:  IMG_0057.jpg
Size:  287.0 KB

Posted down to Karbonised Kustoms for a hydro dip in Carbon Fibre ..

Name:  IMG_0284.jpg
Size:  192.7 KB

Great service, fitted the circular air vents last night ..

Name:  IMG_0290.jpg
Size:  179.0 KB

Bought some reasonably priced carbon style mirror caps .. they're not a perfect fit up close but they'll do just now ..

Name:  IMG_0281.jpg
Size:  206.5 KB

And out we come again with the centre console

Name:  IMG_0301.jpg
Size:  194.2 KB

All ready for fitting the gauge pod with Prosport gauges (Oil temp, oil pressure and boooooost) and the hydro dipped centre console pieces.

Next mod, bye bye noisy pipe at the back, hello H&S 2.5" back box, more subtle, more me, and I want to keep the standard look as much as possible ..

Plans: front speakers (not doing a sub or amp, I hardly use the head unit as I'm happier with the Scooby burble), prodrive spring kit, revised bumpstops and rebuilt shocks, and I have a walbro 255 fuel pump, cosworth air filter and centre decat pipe in the garage all ready for Ecutek , winter tyres on the standard 17's and some nice 18's with decent rubber.

I will have a 2.5" -> 3" non resonated centre pipe, and unknown make BB (looks like 4") for sale soon. It's not too noisy, looks Ok quality, perhaps a TSL pulse or Japspeed box. Keep an eye out in the for sale section

Next steps,

Last edited by Avalyn; 15 June 2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 15 June 2017, 10:33 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Looks lovely, I would love a Hawk STi one day. Although you've come from modern cars I think the interior in the later Impreza's aren't all that bad to be honest.

Is the headunit you installed a DDX4017 DAB by any chance? I've had it in my amazon basket for a while and just need a push to buy it.

I need it for the Spotify integration with my Android phone is that part of it any good? Do you need to boot the app first on the phone or can you just select it as a source on the HU and start scrolling through your playlists?

Sorry for the questions!

Thanks!
Old 15 June 2017, 10:46 AM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

Looks lovely mate now enjoy it..
Old 15 June 2017, 10:55 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Old 15 June 2017, 11:18 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks .. the Scoob interior, it's basic, although I think that's now to it's advantage, it's not really aged as there's no particular odd swoops etc. It's functional, nice dials, easy heater controls etc. it's a world away from the S3 or 335i I've just had recently but a nice interior never makes up for a boring drive

optimus, ask away .. yes it's a DDX4017 DAB, and you do not need to start spotify on your smart phone first, just plug the lightening connector in and use the head unit. It's pretty well integrated.
Old 15 June 2017, 02:00 PM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Avalyn, whats the unit like generally? is the screen nice and clear? and whats the DAB reception like?

I'm replacing for the same reasons as you just need something functional in the audio line as the standard unit is understandably useless.

Have you hooked it up to new speakers yet or is it still running through the original ones?

Thanks!
Old 15 June 2017, 03:37 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice
Old 15 June 2017, 04:16 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

The headunit is nice, clear and responsive. I'm still running standard speakers, and they are so crap that they are easily overwhelmed by the new headunit.

I have some Infinity Reference coaxials ready to go in, but lack 4 hours or so spare and a dry day

I must admit I didn't connect up DAB, as I can't think where is discreet enough to stick the receiver. I'm an old fart, and think most radio is s**t and I can get Original on FM without the DAB. It's 95% boxer beat for me, 4% Spotify and 1% radio so I'm not really needing it.

I also like the fact the headunit has a rear camera source so that may be used at some point

Oh and I forgot to mention the headunit isn't great in direct sunlight, even after fiddling with all the settings

I'm good with taking consoles apart, doors off, but anything that's electrical like finding a live feed etc. its out of my comfort zone, and I'm by no means an audiophile, so no plans for subs or amps etc. Basic, but reasonable sounding and better than original will do for me.

Last edited by Avalyn; 15 June 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 16 June 2017, 09:40 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Thanks Avalyn, appreciate the time you've taken to write a proper little review!

I think i'll got for it as it sounds like a pretty decent unit and at £250 its a bargain! and if i don't like it at least i can blame you! haha!
Old 26 June 2017, 10:58 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Name:  IMG_0506.jpg
Size:  234.8 KB

I had time to fit the Prosport gauges + pod, and the dipped carbon fibre centre console at the weekend ..

A little bit of a oh s**t moment when I found I had a large gap between the headunit and the new centre piece. Then I remembered I had a headunit surround which has filled it in nicely

Next step suspension - it's poor, hard, crashy, yet bouncy all at the same time
Old 26 June 2017, 01:39 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

What size are the gauges?
Old 27 June 2017, 10:09 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

They're 52 mm I think .. all the stuff came from Scoobyworld
Old 02 August 2017, 01:31 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Another minor update, there was a 'too good to not to' deal on a flat bottomed DAMD steering wheel on here .. so the bank balance took another hit

I 'think' that's it for me in terms of the interior, I do have an ELM327 ODB reader on it's way I'm hoping to hook up to my iPhone and I may, at some point, look at putting in bug seats as I find the hawk ones too wide and flat. I'm pretty narrow at the hips and shoulders and could do with a bit more support .

Suspension next for me though, it's currently awful. I am really keeping my fingers crossed the planned mods sort it, as I may actually think of selling the car if it can't be improved
Old 02 August 2017, 08:55 PM
m40ttc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Look lovely some nice improvements you've done. What your plans for suspension I'm in the same quandary??
Old 03 August 2017, 10:13 AM
Jon T
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice. How long did the hydro dip take to come back from when you sent it off ?
Cost ?

Last edited by Jon T; 03 August 2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03 August 2017, 11:16 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Jon T, the parts took about a week to post, hydro dip and get back. The guys I used had some trouble with the gauge pod so had a few attempts before they were happy. I did say I was in no rush. I bought spare second hand console parts so wasn't out of action.

m4ottc .. I got in touch with Peter at PCM dynamics and have purchased revised springs (as far as I understand it's the same ones as were fitted to the RB320) and replacement front and rear bump stops.

I'm going to get the shocks stripped down, nipple mod done, and Peter also supplied some special grease (he gets it from Bilstein) to use when rebuilding them.

I didn't want coilovers and my car is primarily used for town/B-roads, it's not going near a track. The thinking is although the replacement front springs are stiffer, that will reduce the bobbing. The replacement rear bump stops are supposedly more compliant, so I should get a more compliant, less bouncy ride, with a small reduction in ride height.

I'm just waiting for Wuz at BHP developments to get back from holidays to get the car booked in. I'll report back on here once it's all done, settled down and the geometry set.

Keeping my fingers crossed at it's spoiling the car at the moment

Old 03 August 2017, 09:14 PM
m40ttc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok cool thanks for that. I hope it works out you'll have to keep us up to date. Im not sure what to do, I have been looking at the pedder kit or the meister coil overs but I don't know if they'll make the ride horribly hard or worth it for the 1 maybe 2 track days I'll do a year. But I can't keep it like it is
Old 07 September 2017, 01:27 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

I was going to wait until next year to replace the standard alloys as I quite like them, however there was a great deal on here for some 18" Revolutions so I couldn't resist ..

Car is booked in for the suspension refresh/spring upgrade on Monday ..

Not much left to do now, I had an active sub put in the boot (stereo sounds so much better now) so current thoughts are decat + cosworth filter + remap and I may look for some better seats. I find the standard ones too flat .. could do with a lot more side support

Oh, I forgot one mod - Pistonheads sticker in the back window
Old 07 September 2017, 05:33 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

A favour?
Could you measure your current wheel centre to metal arch measurements? From new, STI are supposedly 386mm front, 366mm rear; and how much fuel in the tank, when you take the measurements.
Then re-measure after you've had the new PCA springs fitted - it normally takes a few hundred miles for the bushes/dampers to settle to the new ride heights.
Thanks
Mark
Old 08 September 2017, 08:43 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

No problem 2pot will do ..
Old 10 September 2017, 10:07 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Pre spring fitting - I can confirm that my STi from centre of the wheel cap to arch is 386 mm front and 366 mm rear. 30 miles driven from a full tank of fuel

Its looking like next weekend befor fitting new springs. So I'll wait until there settled and take another set of measurements ..
Old 10 September 2017, 10:28 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Many thanks - very useful to know the fuel level.