Notices

Central locking not working on classic Impreza

Old 20 April 2012, 12:26 AM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central locking not working on classic Impreza

I'm finally getting my Scoob on the road but the central locking has never worked since I've owned it. I had a cat 1 Toad alarm fitted a few months back and the installer put the extra solenoid in the drivers door to make it work the central locking but instead it just operates the drivers door lock. He suggested the central locking control unit could be gone so I have replaced this but still no luck. Is there anywhere else I should be looking ie wiring or perhaps all four doors need a solenoid?? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 20 April 2012, 01:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The other three doors should already HAVE solenoids.

Have you checked fuses?
Old 20 April 2012, 01:48 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for your reply, yeah I thought there should of been solenoids on the other doors but I didn't really get why he had to put one on the drivers door? Surely if a car has central locking then it shouldn't matter if you physically use a key or remotely use a bleeper right? Iv'e checked the fuses but they are all fine, he did say if it wan't the locking control unit then it would be a wiring problem but where should I be looking? The only place I can think of is the joints where the wiring goes into the door from between the door hinges, am assuming the whole lot is on a circuit so if one breaks then none will work but would be great if someone could verify this before I pull them apart. Just to clarify the central locking doesn't work regardless of using the fob, key or manually operating the locks.
Old 20 April 2012, 03:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I don't know about JDM cars, (yours must be an import if it's a 94), but on my UK car, remote central locking wasn't specced, in fact it wasn't until the 99 cars.

That means the action of the KEY locks the driver's door, and at the same time sends a message to the other three doors and the boot, to lock.

If you have a remote fob, that sends a message to the ecu/control unit and that, in turn, sends messages to all five servos. Does that make it clear?

OK, back to your problem.

First off, do you have a circuit tester? If not beg, borrow, buy or steal one. These are good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-CIRCUI...item563a0e4542, or use a multi-meter if you have one.

First remove the driver's door card and test that the solenoid there IS getting power and that no leads are obviously disconnected, broken, or loose, (or corroded).

If it isn't, again check fuses, including those under the bonnet. DO NOT rely on looking, physically remove any that are associated with the c/l and test with multimeter, circuit tester or fuse tester. you may need to ask on here for a translation of the fuses' uses.

THEN trace the leads from the door servo back to the c/l control unit and look for power getting to that.

AFAIK, if ONE door actuator isn't working, it ought not to affect them all, but you can try them all PLUS the one in the boot which is relatively easy to get at.
Old 26 April 2012, 02:19 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Cheers alcazar I will give that a go, if all doors are independent then surely it must be a fuse?! Will check all the fuses again to make absolutely sure before moving on to the wiring.
Old 26 April 2012, 04:02 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by wotagr8bigchief
Cheers alcazar I will give that a go, if all doors are independent then surely it must be a fuse?! Will check all the fuses again to make absolutely sure before moving on to the wiring.
When my 97 was upgraded the alarm installer fitted the solenoid to the drivers door same as for yours. He then ran the wires from this into the car and fitted a relay to make the system into remote central locking.

I suggest that you trace the wires from the solenoid in the drivers door to the relay or control box which should be the next stop.

If the solenoid is sending the right signal then it must be the relay, otherwise it could be the switching in the drivers door solenoid, espacially as it will be an aftermarket part.
Old 26 April 2012, 07:27 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

If u have changed the cdl module in the passenger footwell, check it for feeds, also check the plugs coming in from the drivers kick, they can corrode and cause high resitence in the loom, the factory cdl system works on a single wire operation a white/blk wire operates the module, sounds complex but quite simple, u don't rely want to start fitting 4 motors as u also be running new looms,

First place I would start is check to see if u have power at the module, let me know
Old 23 May 2013, 02:13 PM
mdoffroad
Scooby Newbie

are the central door lock modules know for going bad? my 2002 CDL doesn't work either... this a dealer only part? rough price?
Old 23 May 2013, 04:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not known for going wrong, no.
Wires fall off or chafe near electrical items, check that first.

Second hand one from a scrapper would be ££ rather than ££££.
Old 07 December 2014, 05:34 PM
westmore
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same on mine! its an my 99
i have had the drives door card off and there is power to the solenoid, which is switching polarity when i move the key (moving the solenoid )
i dont know where the control unit is tho, i seen in and earlier post that its in the passengers foot well but what does it look like and pictures lol
Old 10 December 2014, 10:11 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I had to replace the drivers door lock mechanism to fix this on my 1997 Classic. Cost about £15 on eBay and cured it straight away. Check yours as theres a switch on the bottom of it with two wires connected. This triggers the rest of the door motors. Don't confuse this with the aftermarket solenoid though.