Fog light - driving light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2011, 05:52 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light - driving light wiring

Hi guys,

Just looking for an easy way to wire up my fog lights so that when I change them to driving lights they will only come on with the main beams.

I want to keep the foglight switch in circuit and use it to turn the auxilliary driving lights off/on if I wish.

Will it be easy enough to get to the wires I need from the fuse/relay box in the engine bay? I was just going to take a 'feed' from the main beam live to power a relay which will make/break the fog light feed.
If that makes sense

Yea I know I could do this behind the lights, but was hoping to just use all the existing wiring, but just add another relay

Thanks

UK Turbo 2000 (00 MY)
Old 01 February 2011, 05:57 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Don't bother,

When are you going to ONLY use main-beam without spots ?

Just add a relay and switch with main-beam, honest !

dunx
Old 01 February 2011, 06:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by trogg
I want to keep the foglight switch in circuit and use it to turn the auxilliary driving lights off/on if I wish.

Will it be easy enough to get to the wires I need from the fuse/relay box in the engine bay? I was just going to take a 'feed' from the main beam live to power a relay which will make/break the fog light feed.
If that makes sense

Yea I know I could do this behind the lights, but was hoping to just use all the existing wiring, but just add another relay

Yes, that would work, site the relay behind one of the headlights, the only problem will be finding the foglight feed. You'd probably have to go under the dash to get to it.

There is another way, I can send you a wiring diagram if you like, by e-mail, it uses TWO relays and only the wiring that is easily accessible.
Old 02 February 2011, 09:05 AM
trogg
Scooby Regular

PM on its way.
Old 02 February 2011, 11:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Replied to.
What driving lights are you fitting?
Old 03 February 2011, 11:30 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

thinking of doing same kind of thing apart from my fogs dont work at all going to try wiring them to the main beam some how any advice guys do i just take a feed from the main beam by the headlights???
Old 03 February 2011, 08:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

No, you need a relay, or you will either burn out the headlight wiring, or the contacts on the dipswitch.

Also, WHY would you do it with foglights? They are useless.
Old 03 February 2011, 09:33 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Waste of good electricity.

IMHO.

dunx
Old 03 February 2011, 10:28 PM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
No, you need a relay, or you will either burn out the headlight wiring, or the contacts on the dipswitch.

Also, WHY would you do it with foglights? They are useless.
thats what i get for asking the mrs to write something whilst decorating(she's easily confused bless her) I mean fog switch lol sorry, my fog light switch does not work there hooked up to the main beam so i was going install them via a new switch do i need a relay or can i wire them via a switch and a in-line fuse

Last edited by greenfumb; 03 February 2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04 February 2011, 11:15 AM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greenfumb
thats what i get for asking the mrs to write something whilst decorating(she's easily confused bless her) I mean fog switch lol sorry, my fog light switch does not work there hooked up to the main beam so i was going install them via a new switch do i need a relay or can i wire them via a switch and a in-line fuse
Still a bit confusing, but, I think you mean that your foglight switch doesn't turn on your foglights, but they come on when you put on your main beams?

That could imply that they are driving lights and not foglights and a previous owner has already done the conversion.
Old 04 February 2011, 12:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Certainly could.

If they are fogs, the will be branded SUBARU somewhere on them.
If not, they will likley be branded PIAA, Cibie, or Hella.

Do they come on with main beams and go off with dips?
Old 05 February 2011, 10:30 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Photo ?
Old 05 February 2011, 10:53 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Complete noob question. I have a V3 STi and am thinking of fitting spots. I don't have fogs but am told the wiring is all there.

Ignoring spots for now what would I need to do to fit fogs and get them going? Is it just a case of wiring up the lamps at the front, fishing about under the dash for the correct connector and adding a switch, then fitting a relay in the correct spot?
Old 05 February 2011, 12:08 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
Complete noob question. I have a V3 STi and am thinking of fitting spots. I don't have fogs but am told the wiring is all there.
There are often wires missing, no relay OR IT'S CONNECTIONS and the switch either missing or not connected fully. It's a minefield.

Ignoring spots for now what would I need to do to fit fogs and get them going?
Have a few braincells removed? I mean WHY would you want to actually spend money on fogs when they are useless?

Is it just a case of wiring up the lamps at the front, fishing about under the dash for the correct connector and adding a switch, then fitting a relay in the correct spot?
Maybe, more than likely a PITA, plus once you've bought the fogs, you could have had sonme decent lighting for a bit more money.
Old 05 February 2011, 12:29 PM
dodd1980
Scooby Regular

Yes, that would work, site the relay behind one of the headlights, the only problem will be finding the foglight feed. You'd probably have to go under the dash to get to it.

There is another way, I can send you a wiring diagram if you like, by e-mail, it uses TWO relays and only the wiring that is easily accessible.
Sorry to hijack but would you be able to send me the diagram too please, i've been wiring up 2 relays this morning thought i had it sussed but not quite
Old 05 February 2011, 02:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

E-mail sent. It's from another hotmail addy so check your junk folder if it doesn't arrive.
Old 05 February 2011, 02:53 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

There are often wires missing, no relay OR IT'S CONNECTIONS and the switch either missing or not connected fully. It's a minefield.

WHY would you want to actually spend money on fogs when they are useless?
I probably didn't word the question properly. I meant to mean that if the fog light wiring could be made to work then with a few alterations I could use that for spots.

I'll have to investigate further on what wiring I do or don't have then take it from there.
Old 05 February 2011, 03:56 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

You might be as well just wiring in the spots and ignore any wiring that might be there.

Live feed from battery-fuse-relay-lamps, relay switched by live feed from supply to main beam.

Probably easier than trying to trace wires and relays etc, then trying to connect it all up.
Old 03 March 2011, 10:19 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just done mine . total success . snip 2 wires on switch white/ yellow and then black/green then take feed form black/yellow on switch to relay under glovebox break white / yellow on relay and connect feed from switch black/yellow , hey prestow spots that only come on with main beam you can turn on and off and the light still works on switch as well
Old 17 March 2011, 12:05 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
just done mine . total success . snip 2 wires on switch white/ yellow and then black/green then take feed form black/yellow on switch to relay under glovebox break white / yellow on relay and connect feed from switch black/yellow , hey prestow spots that only come on with main beam you can turn on and off and the light still works on switch as well
A bit late getting back to this thread.

Can you clarify;

The switch you mention is the front fog light switch?
The relay is one you fitted?
Your headlights mainbeam and dipped work as normal, but you can also bring on spots by switching the front foglight switch on when the main beams are on?