Notices

Central locking ... from the passenger side?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 1999, 03:42 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone managed to "rig up" central locking that'll work from the passenger door?

Last weekend I ripped the front door trim off of my scooby in a vain attempt to see if it was possible to hardwire the passenger door lock to make it operate the central locking.

Conclusion... it's not possible without adding a door solenoid/motor to the driver's door, and a sensor/switch to the passenger door.

This got me thinking. Apparantly(?) some alarm/immobilisers, like the Meta Aquila, provide remote c/locking. If the scooby is short of the appropriate solenoids and switches how does this work? Does the installer also have to provide the additional parts, or does the alarm/immobiliser come with them?

I have adequate security (hope I'm not tempting fate!) so I do not really want to spend £400 quid on another system just to provide more convenient c/locking. If I could source suitable solenoids/switches I'm sure my needs could be met "on the cheap".

I could go to my local Subaru dealer, but no doubt they'd want me to purchase full mechanisms at an arm and a leg, or maybe I should trawl a few breakers yards. Anyone know of other sources?

- Colin.

P.S.
The lock mechanisms in the Scooby doors are provided courtesy of Nissan!!!
Old 21 September 1999, 03:56 PM
JamesH-2
Scooby Regular

Nothing to do with your post but your P.S.

Have a look at a Mitsubishi Lancer & see how many parts you can recognise from your Scooby! My father has a 93 GLX Estate & I was very miffed to recognise bits on my brand new MY99 - Front indicators, mirrors, some of the switchgear & more!
Old 21 September 1999, 03:58 PM
Dave Mitchell
Scooby Regular

Colin,

I have a Meta alarm system and I had to buy another motor/solo for the passenger door.
It cost about an extra £50.
I was talking to another alarm fitters after and they told me that the "Extra" components really came to about £15.
Apart from that I know nothing.

Dave
Old 21 September 1999, 10:44 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Yes - the drivers door requires an additional motor/solenoid thing to operate the central locking. Mine cost about £30 when I had the security installed.