Notices

Wiring fogs to high beam

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 1999, 09:34 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is there a simple way to re-wire the fog lamps (ie not cutting into the loom) to main beam that does'nt mess up the old warranty or is there a kit you can buy...can anyone help ?

Kev
Old 15 August 1999, 03:13 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

Question

Kev,
What exactly are you intending to do?

I just fitted Scooby sport lamps and made a simple adjustment to the wiring to provide optional on/off using the fog lamp switch.
Old 15 August 1999, 03:36 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

I pick up my 1st sport next month and I've been told that the two standard lamps are fogs and not spots so switched on their own. I wondered if it's possible to wire them into the main beam ?
thanx
Old 15 August 1999, 05:05 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

The following refers to MY99.
The fog lamp relay, located on RHS of fuse box, has four connections as follows:
(Numbers are for ref. only.)
1. Main feed, Red/Blue
2. Switched output to Fog Lamps, White/Red
3. Parking lamp feed, Purple
4. Switched ground via diode from fog lamp switch, Black/Yellow
To make the fog lamps operate with the main beam you need to disconnect the parking lamp feed (Purple wire) at the relay and re-connect the relay to a high beam feed.
Sorry, I don't know the location or colour of this wire but it should go to the instrument pod to power the high beam warning lamp. (assuming it's not ground switched)
Note: When the fog lamp switch is on, the warning lamp inside the switch will continue to be illuminated as normal.
Remember to insulate the disconnected parking lamp feed wire and leave a reasonable length of tail on the relay socket for connecting up.

If you want to use the fog lamp switch to control Scooby Sport driving lamp conversion proceed as follows:

1. Ensure ignition and fog lamp switches are off.
2. Disconnect the fog lamp relay.
3. Make a short length cable terminated with 0.25 inch male spades.
4. Use above cable to connect the Black/Yellow wire to the White/Red wire on the relay socket. (Relay is not used.)
5. Remove the earth wire from the Scooby Sport relay.
6. Link the White/Red wire at the near side fog lamp connector to the earth side of the Scooby Sport relay.
This modification converts the normal fog lamp feed to a switched ground to control the Scooby Sport relay. The mod is easily reversed by removing the link wire and reconnecting the fog lamp relay.

Note: The circuit from the fog lamp switch is wired through a semiconductor (possibly a diode) to the relay. Double check the above connection at the relay socket before switching on other wise you could fry this circuit.
WARNING! you will cause damage by linking the wrong wires. If in doubt... DON'T.

[This message has been edited by WESTFIELD (edited 17-08-1999).]
Old 15 August 1999, 06:41 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers.....Nuff there to keep me going for a while !

Ta...
Old 16 August 1999, 06:19 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Question

Westfield, you lost me there for a while in the section on wiring up the Scooby driving lights via the fog lamp switch. There is no mention of a black/yellow wire from the fog-light relay, but there are two red/white wires, so there might be some confusion.
Am I correct to assume that the Scooby driving lights are meant to be wired up to operate with the high beam and your modification is an optional extra or is this switching the standard fitting?
Thanks.
Old 17 August 1999, 05:44 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

Sorry my mistake, I've corrected the post.
Thanks 'lokokkee'

Yes, it's a modification to the standard Scooby Sport installation which is wired to allways operate with the high beam. The above modification provides optional operation with the high beam using the front fog lamp switch.

[This message has been edited by WESTFIELD (edited 17-08-1999).]
Old 19 August 1999, 07:06 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Question

Westfield, you are most welcome. But pardon me for asking the most obvious: where is the relay for the fog lamps? Is it in the fuse/relay box in the engine bay? If so, there is no marking for it on the cover, and neither is it mentioned in the owner's manual.
Thanks.
Old 20 August 1999, 02:06 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

'lokokkee', the relay is located on the RHS of the fuse box under the dash. If you operate the fog lamps you should be able to hear it clicking.