Notices

Instrument Cluster Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2018, 07:18 PM
sidman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Wiring

Afternoon guys......I have a hawkeye Wagon and need to know what colour wire is the live on the instrument cluster and what’s colour is neutral....? Just got some plasma dials and need to wire them up......also, whats the best way to connect the wires...?
Old 23 February 2018, 12:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are we talking behind the clocks, (Spedo, rev counter and gauges)?

Behind there it's not as simple as a live and a neutral, which are terms for AC anyway. Ours are positive, +ve and negative,-ve.

Am I right in thinking that your plasma dials need a +ve live and an earth -ve?

You might use a multimeter, or buy yourself one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Motor...MAAOSwFb5Z~T2R, which can be used to find a live wire even through the insulation.

But be careful behind the clocks. Many of the wires may be live but not suitable: carrying only mA and tapping into them may make a gauge malfunction, one of your new ones or one of those on the instruments.

Ideally, I'd be using that tester or a multimeter to find a wire near the ignition switch, which is live when you have ignition on second click, NOT FIRST and not all the time...unless the instructions with your new gauges state that.

HTH
Old 23 February 2018, 09:51 PM
sidman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Are we talking behind the clocks, (Spedo, rev counter and gauges)?

Behind there it's not as simple as a live and a neutral, which are terms for AC anyway. Ours are positive, +ve and negative,-ve.

Am I right in thinking that your plasma dials need a +ve live and an earth -ve?

You might use a multimeter, or buy yourself one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Motor...MAAOSwFb5Z~T2R, which can be used to find a live wire even through the insulation.

But be careful behind the clocks. Many of the wires may be live but not suitable: carrying only mA and tapping into them may make a gauge malfunction, one of your new ones or one of those on the instruments.

Ideally, I'd be using that tester or a multimeter to find a wire near the ignition switch, which is live when you have ignition on second click, NOT FIRST and not all the time...unless the instructions with your new gauges state that.

HTH
Yes it is behind the clocks......I have a multimeter and tested the wires that plug into the clocks and found a wire which is live when the lights come on.....could I use that....? If no, I will go with what you suggested and tap into one at the ignition......

Also, what setting does the multimeter need to be on for +ve and -ve....?

Thank you for your help Alcazar.....

Last edited by sidman; 23 February 2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 24 February 2018, 08:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Use multimeter on the V DC setting.
Sounds like you could use that wire, but check it's ONLY live when ignition is on second click, unless gauge instructions say different, (Defi need a permanent live as well as a switched one). Other wise your gauges will be live when you are arked with radio on etc.

Earth is easy enough, run the wire to a body ground, or find a black wire and test it with the circuit tester above.
Old 24 February 2018, 08:59 AM
sidman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Use multimeter on the V DC setting.
Sounds like you could use that wire, but check it's ONLY live when ignition is on second click, unless gauge instructions say different, (Defi need a permanent live as well as a switched one). Other wise your gauges will be live when you are arked with radio on etc.

Earth is easy enough, run the wire to a body ground, or find a black wire and test it with the circuit tester above.
Nice one Alcazar.....you've been a massive help....