Notices

Defi guages

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2017, 12:11 AM
Sootbox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defi guages

Hi. I have set of defi guages in a pod on dash. All worked well , the car was purchased with a crappy hid kit so I have removed this and fitted standard sti bug eye lights. All working fine. But now my guages don't illuminate when lights on? The illuminate on start on the start up sweep flash green as usual but then the illumination goes out...any one any ideas have I done something silly? 2002 wrx bug eye wagon.
Old 24 May 2017, 09:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Probably fairly simple.

The Defi gauges have a control box having four captive wires, coloured red, orange, white and black.

They should be connected as follows:
RED: Permanent live,
ORANGE: switched live, ign second click,
WHITE: sidelights,
BLACK: decent earth.

What has probably happened is that the white wire has become disconnected from wherever he picked up the sidelight feed. If you have a circuit tester, you may be able to find one that is only live when the (side) lights are on under the cowling around the steering column, left hand side.

A circuit tester like this is invaluable for finding a live: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-L...8AAOSwEeFVRoU3.
And since the switch is on the left hand stalk, simplicity itself to check it is live when lights are on, not live when they are off.
HTH
Old 24 May 2017, 12:22 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

some good info there alcazar. mine seem to be wired wrong as well. they only illuminate with side lights or main beam ie if lights are in off position there is no backlight at all. not a problem during the day i suppose but it annoys me that its not right! they also dont do a closing ceremony which i thought they should? they do the opening check and sweep ok.
Old 25 May 2017, 12:03 AM
Sootbox
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help. Was none of these. It was the bright/dim twist control on the stalk
Old 25 May 2017, 10:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There you go.

Do they now perform as you think they should?

BTW: mine don't do a closing sweep, only an opening one. But they do date from 2003.
Old 25 May 2017, 12:03 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

mine are the older type as well, 60mm with green backlight to match the bug sti dash lights. guess mine doesnt do a closing sweep either then. mystery solved lol.
Old 25 May 2017, 10:23 PM
Sootbox
Scooby Regular

Yes working as before now, the don't do a closing sweep either. Thx for help