Notices

trailer wiring harness - 2003 baja

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2017, 01:32 PM
bradleybaja
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer wiring harness - 2003 baja

soo a couple years ago i left the cap off of my 2003 baja's trailer connection over the winter. needless to say, it was corroded as can be and no longer worked. I cut it off and sealed up the wires that were going into it with plans to find a pigtail somewhere down the road. however, i can't seem to find it anywhere online - i've found the harness, but not with 6 pigtail wires, only 4.

does it make sense to just wire my trailer adapter right into the wires, bypassing the harness connection (6 wires to 6 wires)? also, if yes, does anyone know where the closest connector is to disconnect the trailer wires (and probably tail light too) so that i can remove it in order to work on these wires? (there is very little room to work with it connected as the wires are very short).

also, it would make sense to find a junkyard, but no bajas in a junkyard around me and from what i've seen, any foresters and such from around 2003 have a different type of trailer connector.

appreciate any insight
Old 08 May 2017, 06:25 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Hi,
We don't get many Baja's over here, if any, so it would probably be best to ask on NASIOC.com.

However, the following electrical pdf's may be helpful.
The trailer connector is connector R79 and it's location is shown in
"REAR WIRING HARNESS AND REAR TAIL GATE CORD"
The listing for it says it's only 2 pole but looking at all the other drawings it's 6 pole (as you would expect)

The other documents show which circuits go to which connector terminals.

57.Rear Wiring Harness and Rear Tail Gate Cord.pdf

24.Clearance Light and Illumination Light System

28.Stop Light System

29.Turn Signal Light and Hazard Light System

46.Trailer Wire Harness (Option)

You might find what you are looking for here

https://www.carid.com/2003-subaru-baja-hitch-wiring/
Old 09 May 2017, 02:41 PM
bradleybaja
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Don, these links are very helpful. it looks like if i want to remove the wiring from the vehicle to do a direct wire i would disconnect at R134 and remove the trailer R79 and rear tail light at R26. Maybe I could even just disconnect at R134 and pull it down to get enough clearance to work at it under the vehicle. I will have to do some experimenting though to see whether or not I can actually get it out and back in with ease.

As for the corroded (and now gone) vehicle-side harness, I can only assume that in bypassing the harness and direct wiring the 6 wires on the vehicle side to the 6 wires that go into the converter it makes sense - I mean, I would essentially just be creating my own wiring harness, right?

I did find this -> http://connectorexperts.com/i-244884...tegory:1261632. This is the female connector that I removed, and I think at this site it does have 6 pigtail wires. But $88? Probably better off doing it myself.

thanks again