Notices

Headlight Aim

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2017, 06:23 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Aim

So, after bearing the brunt of a stupid [expletive deleted] pheasant last week, my passenger side headlight was smashed, so I bought a replacement pair from ebay... These, in fact:

Nearside and Offside

I fitted them with a friend on Saturday, but the aim was way out (passenger side almost straight down, Driver's side up towards trees on the right). I popped to a local garage today, who have come back to me and said the adjusters aren't doing anything.

I was wondering if this was because of one of 2 options:
1. The headlights are crap
2. The level motors were not transferred from the old units to the new units. Is this required to work with the adjusters for headlight aim?

We couldn't get the old levelling motors off of the old units, and one had a bolt head shear off.

If anyone knows how to sort this and lives near Basingstoke/Alton/Petersfield/Farnham and wouldn't mind helping me out, I'd be hugely grateful and provide beer.
Old 07 March 2017, 10:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It may be as simple as doing the adjustment manually with the levelling motors removed, then replacing them.

Does the garage mean the motors aren't working? Or that they run, but produce no effect?

The adjusters may also be at the end of their travel and have popped out of their housing.
Old 07 March 2017, 06:01 PM
DCTim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motors aren't even attached to the new units. Me and my friend couldn't work out how to remove them from the old ones without breaking anything, and we had a bolt head shear off so one was stuck in the old headlight.

I'll have to have a look about the adjuster. It sounds like you may be right on them not being in their housing as the garage said they were spinning the adjusters both ways and nothing was happening.
Old 08 March 2017, 10:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Does sound like it.
Out of interest, are the adjusters same as on the classic, as I have a pair sitting here in good condition...