Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

2002 wrx - I need an extra key...confused!?

Old 24 February 2012, 01:19 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 wrx - I need an extra key...confused!?

My bug has 1 key & 1 sigma alarm fob. I want to replicate this and obtain a second set which i can keep safe as a spare.

I have been trawling through old threads etc and i am throughly confused, i have read in some posts that the likes of Timpsons can cut and code a replacement key (from the original) - is this the case as it is unclear!?

I would appreciate a bit of hand holding on this as i am struggling to understand what i need from the likes of eBay etc in order to create a fully working second set (complete with sigma alarm fob)

As a bit of an aside, if the sigma is the OE security feature why does the key fob also have an lock / unlock option (mine doesnt work) - is this for non-turbo models which dont have the Sigma option?

Pete
Old 24 February 2012, 09:34 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Going to watch this thread mate as I have exactly the same fix on the same car!! I believe the reason we have the disabled buttons on the key is that the sigma alarm was fitted to comply with insurance etc to these models and by doing do they then had to disable the 2 buttons.

Subscribed :-)
Old 25 February 2012, 05:00 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, I had the same issue with my new blob.
FYI you can buy replacement sigma fobs online and simply reprogramme your alarm to use them.

Replacement keys - try this:
http://www.keysinthepost.com/actinic/modernSubaru.html

Oh and the assumption re the keys above is correct - the old style keys were insecure and did not satisfy Thatcham cat 1 requirements apparently.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 25 February 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 25 February 2012, 05:08 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Thanks Bugeye_Scoob - my key doesn't look like it has a transponder in it - all it is at the moment (due to falling apart) is the key 'blade' and a Sigma fob?!?!

What would you advise?

I notice the site above asks for your key number but would've expected this to be on the key but there's nothing on there ?

Thanks mate
Old 25 February 2012, 07:10 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

I believe you can program a sigma alarm fob yourself using the in car keypad but to program an ignition key you need to go to a dealer. Hope that helps you a little mate
Old 25 February 2012, 09:40 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update on this ,

Was walking by timpsons today so though I would have a look in, the guy plugged my key into a machine and confirmed it could be cut and the transponder coded for £50. He said the open / close buttons wouldn't be on the new key (not a problem as they aren't used anyway)

That just leaves finding a new sigma fob online which shouldn't cost too much . The total cost of this should be MUCH less than the £200+ that dealers (if any around your area left!) would charge!
Old 25 February 2012, 10:22 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by petethemeat
Bit of an update on this ,

Was walking by timpsons today so though I would have a look in, the guy plugged my key into a machine and confirmed it could be cut and the transponder coded for £50. He said the open / close buttons wouldn't be on the new key (not a problem as they aren't used anyway)

That just leaves finding a new sigma fob online which shouldn't cost too much . The total cost of this should be MUCH less than the £200+ that dealers (if any around your area left!) would charge!
Dear read somewhere else on here that Timpson do it too - my problem is that I don't think my transponder is in my key - it's literally just the metal blade lol!!
Old 27 February 2012, 06:44 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by martin850
I believe you can program a sigma alarm fob yourself using the in car keypad but to program an ignition key you need to go to a dealer. Hope that helps you a little mate
Not really. You only need to go to the dealer if you want an original Subaru key (between £100-250 I believe).
Alternatively you can get copies made using non Subaru keys for £35 online.

SinghSuperStud, you will at least need to go to the dealer to get the transponder code if you don't have a key mate.
Hth.
Old 27 February 2012, 07:02 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Guys, I had the same issue with my new blob.
FYI you can buy replacement sigma fobs online and simply reprogramme your alarm to use them.

Replacement keys - try this:
http://www.keysinthepost.com/actinic/modernSubaru.html

Oh and the assumption re the keys above is correct - the old style keys were insecure and did not satisfy Thatcham cat 1 requirements apparently.
Thanks for the link - the above key would need to be programmed at extra cost , any idea where (dealers?) or how much this costs roughly?

The timpsons key would come already programmed, I have seen sigma alarm fobs on eBay for around £20, so potentially £70 for a second set of working keys , am I right ?
Old 27 February 2012, 09:38 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Thanks for the link - the above key would need to be programmed at extra cost , any idea where (dealers?) or how much this costs roughly?

The timpsons key would come already programmed, I have seen sigma alarm fobs on eBay for around £20, so potentially £70 for a second set of working keys , am I right ?
No mate, the keys on that link are exactly the same as your Timpsons key - they come pre-programmed for your car at a cost of £35 - you just supply the key number or a photo of the key and they do the rest.
The reason I know this is that I ordered one on Saturday

So actually - about £50 for a second working fob and key.
Old 27 February 2012, 10:45 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

No mate, the keys on that link are exactly the same as your Timpsons key - they come pre-programmed for your car at a cost of £35 - you just supply the key number or a photo of the key and they do the rest.
The reason I know this is that I ordered one on Saturday

So actually - about £50 for a second working fob and key.
Cool even better then

Have you sourced yourself an extra sigma fob?
Old 27 February 2012, 10:47 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Cool even better then

Have you sourced yourself an extra sigma fob?
Hmm....I'm actually glad you posted this mate.
I emailed the company to ask them whether the key would be pre-programmed.
They responded to say it could be, but it would be £60 and they'd need me to send them my key....needless to say I've cancelled the order. Bit pissed off really given that the website strongly suggests when you put the order through that the key will just work. Going to phone the stealer now to see what the quote is for mine.

Let me know if you fare better. Timspons defo do them? I have one right next to my office.

But yes I sourced a sigma fob - £18 off ebay - there are loads.
Old 27 February 2012, 10:56 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

I can confirm that Timpsons do it - my Bugeye MY01 UK spec has a TX02 transponder which is the more expensive type.

You may find not all Timpsons do that type but my local one did

I was charged £50 for one coded key - but ended up paying £75 to get two keys done - figured it was better as the only other key I have is on it's last legs!

The Sigma key fobs are AC38 code and can be had from Ebay or there are a few on the for sale section here - I'd budget between £15-25 for one.

Can somebody confirm if the Sigma fobs with the 3 led light strips work on the Sigma M30 alarm? They seem to have a stronger plastic bit at the bottom - my main issue is that on mine they always break so I end up having to keep the fob in my pocket loose!!!!

thanks and hope I've been of help
Old 28 February 2012, 07:03 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Hmm....I'm actually glad you posted this mate.
I emailed the company to ask them whether the key would be pre-programmed.
They responded to say it could be, but it would be £60 and they'd need me to send them my key....needless to say I've cancelled the order. Bit pissed off really given that the website strongly suggests when you put the order through that the key will just work. Going to phone the stealer now to see what the quote is for mine.

Let me know if you fare better. Timspons defo do them? I have one right next to my office.

But yes I sourced a sigma fob - £18 off ebay - there are loads.

Thanks for the update - I will sort it out through timpsons then. Cheers for your help.
Old 28 February 2012, 07:04 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
I can confirm that Timpsons do it - my Bugeye MY01 UK spec has a TX02 transponder which is the more expensive type.

I was charged £50 for one coded key - but ended up paying £75 to get two keys done - figured it was better as the only other key I have is on it's last legs!

The Sigma key fobs are AC38 code and can be had from Ebay or there are a few on the for sale section here - I'd budget between £15-25 for one.

Can somebody confirm if the Sigma fobs with the 3 led light strips work on the Sigma M30 alarm? They seem to have a stronger plastic bit at the bottom - my main issue is that on mine they always break so I end up having to keep the fob in my pocket loose!!!!

Cheers for the info
Old 28 February 2012, 05:52 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Yes they do. I've just had one done by the main dealers (for my 2002 bug wagon). Its a nicer fob without the battery bulge on the back

You can program it urself if you know your pin code.

I didn't know mine (I do now, the dealers sent off for it) ... FYI the dealers did me a deal at £85 inc vat for the fob and programming it ... not bad considering a brand new fob is around 40 plus post on evilbay ... dealers don't need the pin code to program a new fob, but we do ... phew - Phil

p.s. you may be thinking your key doesn't have a chip in it? - it must have one (or somebody put it in the ashtry or something). Otherwise the car would run for a second but then cut out. Yes, I have tried a chip-less key!

p.p.s. In the alarm handbook you'll see it says that Subaru dealers can give it a new pin code if yours is lost. According to my dealer this is wrong. And they can't. Although it says in black and white that they can

Last edited by pmcb; 28 February 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 28 February 2012, 11:23 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate.

Got a Sigma AC110 fob on order from the bay - these are the replacements for the AC38.

Also managed to get a £25 refund from Timpsons for my keys as they'd ordered the wrong ones. Ended up paying £50 for 2 new keys!!!

I just said I wasn't happy and pointed to the pledge poster on the wall (MD stating everybody in this branch has his full authority to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy! )

Result!
Old 29 February 2012, 06:23 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by pmcb
Yes they do. I've just had one done by the main dealers (for my 2002 bug wagon). Its a nicer fob without the battery bulge on the back

You can program it urself if you know your pin code.

I didn't know mine (I do now, the dealers sent off for it) ... FYI the dealers did me a deal at £85 inc vat for the fob and programming it ... not bad considering a brand new fob is around 40 plus post on evilbay ... dealers don't need the pin code to program a new fob, but we do ... phew - Phil

p.s. you may be thinking your key doesn't have a chip in it? - it must have one (or somebody put it in the ashtry or something). Otherwise the car would run for a second but then cut out. Yes, I have tried a chip-less key!

p.p.s. In the alarm handbook you'll see it says that Subaru dealers can give it a new pin code if yours is lost. According to my dealer this is wrong. And they can't. Although it says in black and white that they can
I didn't know the PIN code to my alarm when I bought the car, but found a post on here that allows you to reset it as long as you have a working fob.

Worked for me.
Old 29 February 2012, 07:04 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate.

Got a Sigma AC110 fob on order from the bay - these are the replacements for the AC38.

Also managed to get a £25 refund from Timpsons for my keys as they'd ordered the wrong ones. Ended up paying £50 for 2 new keys!!!

I just said I wasn't happy and pointed to the pledge poster on the wall (MD stating everybody in this branch has his full authority to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy! )

Result!
Winner
Old 29 February 2012, 12:47 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

I didn't know the PIN code to my alarm when I bought the car, but found a post on here that allows you to reset it as long as you have a working fob.

Worked for me.
Ooo, nice. I don't need it now, but if I'd known that, it would have saved me cash.

Winner
Definately winner!

I paid my local car accessory shop £50 for one key. And that was apparently supposed to be discounted from £70 or something ... then when I got home I realised I already had a spare