Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

what Boost Gauge/Pod for Pillar ????????

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2009, 02:56 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what Boost Gauge/Pod for Pillar ????????

Hi Guys - any tips on a boost gauge for newage WRX, i.e. match dash lights (that Blu/Green col.) and single A pillar pod suppliers
Old 14 April 2009, 12:00 PM
JonnyUK1980
Scooby Regular

Hello mate , i bought a nice single gauge pod for my blob wrx off ebay theres one here:

Subaru Impreza WRX Single Gauge Pillar Pod 52mm on eBay, also Dial, Dash Switch Custom'n, Interior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 14-Apr-09 20:27:51 BST)

It's exactly the same as that and it fits all the contours of the dash perfect, it was that good it doesn't even require a screw to hold it in! If your bug dash is the same as my blob that's the exact one you need!

As for colour match i think you'll struggle, i'm sure the defis come in a colour that's close and i'm sure apexi do one in a similar green to the subaru clocks. I'm fitting prosteppers to mine which are either red or white depending on what way you wire them in.

HTH

Jonny
Old 14 April 2009, 01:16 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Hi Jonny Thanks for that info mate, spooky thing is, that I put a bid in on that same pod last night, I was hoping it was OK....so seems it was the right thing to go for , I do assume that the Bug has the same dash as the Blob so fingas crossed !! The gauges you have gone for look good, I am still trawling through e-bay and trying to decide on a boost gauge, can i be cheeky and ask where you intend getting your live feed and "T"'ing in for the boost feed from good luck with fitting the other gauges you've got by the way Cheers, Si.
Old 14 April 2009, 02:01 PM
JonnyUK1980
Scooby Regular

yeah that pod is very good, the hole for the gauge is cut perfectly so you squeeze it in and it fits tight you don't need any brackets or screws etc

At the moment i have a volt gauge in that pod as the plan was to fit the other three gauges in one of those triple pods that sits in the centre of the dash where the clock unit is but i'm half tempted to put the boost gauge in the single pod like what you want to do.

I've t'd off the actuator hose and i hope it's right but wont know for an hour or so when i've finished plumbing it in, a friend did point out numerous places where you can t off but that was about 3 months ago and i've completely forgotton what he said lol Hopefully i've gone for the right place, if i have and it all works ok ill post up a couple of pics for you so you can see where i did mine.

You can take a '+ & -' feed from wherever, think i took mine from the ciggy lighter, on previous cars i've used the live from the stereo although i don't know if that's the best way but it's always worked in the past!

I'll post up again later on matey when i've done, sods law i've run out of joining connectors for the power feeds so have to run out and get some lol
Old 14 April 2009, 02:13 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't beat a Nomad pod for OE quality.
I've had them in most of my cars, non subarus as well, and they match the interior plastics perfectly.
a bit more money then most, but they are the best I think:

Nomad Racing online store for Ford | RS | Subaru and much more..
Old 14 April 2009, 02:14 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Nice one thanks again for the info, I will be interseted to see how you get on, I'm sure I read you could "T" off at the small vacuum hose off the top of a dump valve, not sure yet though hopefully I'll be getting on with this job in a few days !! Good Luck !!!!
Old 14 April 2009, 02:16 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
You can't beat a Nomad pod for OE quality.
I've had them in most of my cars, non subarus as well, and they match the interior plastics perfectly.
a bit more money then most, but they are the best I think:

Nomad Racing online store for Ford | RS | Subaru and much more..
Nice thanks for that link, the "whole" pillar pod looks good !!
Old 14 April 2009, 02:21 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Yeah they really are good. I originally bought a single pod of there, but then upgraded to two gauges, so had to buy a double. They don't come up second hand much, but I sold my single one not too far of what they are new.
So my advice would be to think about if you are ever going to go for more than one gauge.
Old 14 April 2009, 02:24 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Oooooh I forgot to ask as well, where did you push the Boost gauge hose through the dash/bulkhead ??
Old 14 April 2009, 02:29 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Get yourself a decent boost gauge, that has a stepper motor. Then you only need to run an electrical wire from the engine bay to the cabin, so no chance of kinking the hose, or have a boost leak in the car. I think they can still be had for around the 30 quid mark.
Old 14 April 2009, 02:44 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Get yourself a decent boost gauge, that has a stepper motor. Then you only need to run an electrical wire from the engine bay to the cabin, so no chance of kinking the hose, or have a boost leak in the car. I think they can still be had for around the 30 quid mark.
Forgive my ignorance but theres no need for hose with these?? How do they measure boost levels ???
Old 14 April 2009, 02:51 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

The hose connects to an electrical sender under the engine bay. Then the sender connects to the gauge, with just one wire.
Old 14 April 2009, 03:06 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds good - thanks for the info J T
Old 14 April 2009, 05:37 PM
JonnyUK1980
Scooby Regular

Yup mine has a stepper motor, the gauge has two plugs, one with the power wires and the other with the sender wires. The sender wires go through the bulk head to the sender unit and on the other end of the sender unit the vacuum hose goes to your 't' piece. If you buy a regular boost gauge it's a vacuum hose all the way from your 't' piece to the actual gauge either way you have to run stuff through the bulk head.

Here's where i ran mine, it's not too neat but does the job, just got to add a little bit of silicone of the big rubber bung to stop water getting in...

You can see the black wires going through the bung (i have more wires as i was plumbing in other gauges)

This is where i've t'd mine off, i put a red ring round it which you can just about make out...

This pic is taken standing by the drivers door looking into the bay, you can see the t piece circled then the vacuum hose comes back with an inline filter in it to the black sender box also circled the fron the sender box the cable runs back through the bulk head to the gauge...

This is the gauge done in the a pod we were talking about earlier...

It all works i'm just a little worried that it's only running 4psi, not sure if it's supposed to be running just 4psi or if theres a fault with the car or where i've plumbed the gauge into hmmmm just waiting to see if someone replies to my other post.

Hope this helps matey!
Old 14 April 2009, 06:23 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Great Pics and write up, thanks mate you have saved me alot of head scratching when I get to it, hopefully in a couple of days I hope the boost reading is due to a low pressure area you have plumbed into, am not sure what standard boost is, will wait with interest and crossed fingers, thanks again, you're a Star !!
Old 31 January 2015, 06:19 PM
Fletch84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonnyUK1980
Yup mine has a stepper motor, the gauge has two plugs, one with the power wires and the other with the sender wires. The sender wires go through the bulk head to the sender unit and on the other end of the sender unit the vacuum hose goes to your 't' piece. If you buy a regular boost gauge it's a vacuum hose all the way from your 't' piece to the actual gauge either way you have to run stuff through the bulk head.

Here's where i ran mine, it's not too neat but does the job, just got to add a little bit of silicone of the big rubber bung to stop water getting in...

You can see the black wires going through the bung (i have more wires as i was plumbing in other gauges)

This is where i've t'd mine off, i put a red ring round it which you can just about make out...

This pic is taken standing by the drivers door looking into the bay, you can see the t piece circled then the vacuum hose comes back with an inline filter in it to the black sender box also circled the fron the sender box the cable runs back through the bulk head to the gauge...

This is the gauge done in the a pod we were talking about earlier...

It all works i'm just a little worried that it's only running 4psi, not sure if it's supposed to be running just 4psi or if theres a fault with the car or where i've plumbed the gauge into hmmmm just waiting to see if someone replies to my other post.

Hope this helps matey!
How did you get the hose to go through the dash? Did you pull the A pillar and feed it through?
Old 31 January 2015, 07:04 PM
STI8Dave
Scooby Regular

Good pics there mate. I'm about to fit mine and this gives me even more info than the already helpful bods on here