Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

How do I disable the airbag

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 1999, 05:51 PM
underwoodd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to put the kid in the front of my STI4. Does anyone know how to disable the passenger or both airbags?

Thanks
Old 06 July 1999, 05:01 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

hi there -
I want to do this too -
in my sti v5 - by drivers knee area in the pull down fuse cubby there are TWO fuses marked Airbag with a load of jap text - presumably one for each side ??? -
not sure which one is which + how the hell do yout test this ? - drive into a tree deliberately?

if anyone can shed any more light on the correct fuse to pull I would be most grateful

cheers,

paul W
Old 06 July 1999, 06:22 PM
Tommy
Scooby Regular

I don't know if this will help, but I was concerned about putting children in the front of the car because of various bits of adverse press about it. I know you should never put a baby in a rear facing seat in the front but I wanted to know about an older child in a forward facing child seat. So I mailed RoSPA and this is the reply I got:

Thank you for your message regarding children and airbags. RoSPa's view is
as long as the car seat is right back as far as it will go and the child
sits right back in the car seat and not on the edge of the seat which is the
deployment zone, then there is not problem.The research carried out was on
Amercican airbags which are bigger than British ones.

Hope this helps
Old 07 July 1999, 01:09 PM
underwoodd
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that but I forgot to mention that he's six weeks old and definately has to sit rear-facing for some while.

PWEBB - Looks like we're close, just need to establish which fuse runs which bag. The stakes are pretty high for getting it wrong!

DU
Old 27 August 1999, 12:07 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Cool

To disable the airbags in most cars you have to disconnect the battery and leave the car for 30 mins to discharge, then remove the airbag fixings and unplug the yellow cable that is attached to them. Then reconnect the battery after shielding the calbles from all other surfaces. Crude method but it avoids any signal firing the initiators. Make sure the airbag is 'grounded' as soemtimes the airbag lead doubles up as an earth. ESD could cause an accidental deployment!
Old 29 August 1999, 05:26 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Interesting stuff. We could do with a switch really for the passenger airbag (& maybe a warning light?). I wonder what would happen though if you had an accident with the passenger airbag switched off & were giving a lift to a friend who was seriously injured due to no airbag. Could you be liable? Would there be an isurance problem?
Old 30 August 1999, 01:08 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Some cars (mainly in the U.S.) have airbag disable switches on them for passenger airbag ONLY. At present I think there are only a couple of cases where people are sueing drivers. This was due to turning off the passenger airbag as they normally have kiddie seats in them, but gave a lift to a mate. (Good friend huh?!?!)

You can get the passenger airbag disabled in some EU countries by a dealer if you state its for a reverse-facing child seat only. You need to sign an agreement that you will not sue the pants off the dealer if anything happens though...(unlike in the US!!) Small children have been killed in this way, so switches will probably find their way eventually in most cars.
Old 30 August 1999, 05:34 PM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Porsche have the clever solution.

When you buy the child seat, it locates in such a way as to disable the passenger airbag automatically.

Trust the Germans to sort that one out!

(Don't have a Porsche or a sprog , but I have a mate who does)

Scottie