Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Impreza double din fitment issue.

Old 05 July 2016, 07:27 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Impreza double din fitment issue.

My headunit decided to die so today I replaced it with a new unit. The problem is, the impreza fascia panel is too small for the new radio screen surround to fit the through. This means that I have had to install the new unit in a recessed position as apposed to being flush or protruding slightly. The only solution I can think of is to chop up the fascia however I'm worried this could go wrong and end up looking worse. Anyone had the same issue and got a solution? The unit I bought is a pioneer mvh-av270bt.

This picture shows the unit, as you can see there is an extended portion slightly back of the front panel which is hidden behind the fascia in my pictures. This outer perimeter is too large to pass through the impreza fascia hole.

Last edited by LukeyB; 05 July 2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05 July 2016, 07:32 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Mines a pioneer and fits flush

Something not sitting right maybe?
Old 05 July 2016, 07:33 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Your brackets need moving forward alittle so stereo back out I'm afraid but it will sit flush
Old 05 July 2016, 07:37 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
Your brackets need moving forward alittle so stereo back out I'm afraid but it will sit flush
Unfortunately I tried that and the new units outer dimensions are larger than the hole in the fascia by about 5mm each side. I tried to install it flush first time around and there was no way of getting the fascia panel back on as it wouldn't fit around the new head unit.
Old 05 July 2016, 07:42 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't go chopping the facia buddy unless you got one spare? Or if you could swap the unit to say it doesn't fit maybe them facials are hard to buy separately even from a breaker as they get sold as a full centre console so be careful if you do decide to trim away
Old 05 July 2016, 07:46 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
I wouldn't go chopping the facia buddy unless you got one spare? Or if you could swap the unit to say it doesn't fit maybe them facials are hard to buy separately even from a breaker as they get sold as a full centre console so be careful if you do decide to trim away
Edited the original post to hopefully help visualize the issue. Cheers for the advice btw.
Old 05 July 2016, 07:49 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Luke im sure i trimmed the facia when i fitted the other double din when i owned the car just trim it some more
Old 05 July 2016, 07:51 PM
LukeyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
Luke im sure i trimmed the facia when i fitted the other double din when i owned the car just trim it some more
Haha, I'll have a look at the weekend
Old 05 July 2016, 07:52 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As i had same issue mate
Old 05 July 2016, 07:54 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LukeyB
Edited the original post to hopefully help visualize the issue. Cheers for the advice btw.
I see what you mean now, please let us know how you get on mate what ever you decide
Old 08 July 2016, 08:34 AM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely its better sitting out rather than in. Can you not get it to sit out and then get a facia to suit?
Old 19 July 2017, 02:11 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Old thread but will post on it anyway lol I'm now having the exact same problem as LukeyB had, least he has pics to explain what i mean, same bloody issue and unit sits a good 5mm �� from being flush with the fascia, my model is the AVH-X390BT Pioneer unit, hey if ya still on here Luke how did you get round it, take a dremmel to the fascia? cheers
Old 19 July 2017, 05:42 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought would be to drill the brackets to give a bit more play.
Old 20 July 2017, 11:01 AM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Don't think it would help m8, coz as you can see from the first set of pics the surround of the head unit is physically to big to fit thru the fascia to fit flush even with the piece of trim taken off the head unit, even if i return the item whats to say another one i pick is gonna fit, i could end up trying then returning half a bloody dozen lol before i find one that slots in perfectly.
Old 18 January 2018, 04:54 PM
Agent_Chef
Scooby Newbie

I was just thinking about changing the stereo as well. Something with bluetooth/USB/mp3 instead of CD/Cassette player. (A bit dated in a '06 Hawkeye.)
Anyway, I'm glad i found this thread otherwise i would have just bought any double DIN stereo units and had the same problem.
So i've taken the the measurements and it's 170mm wide and 97mm tall. (Haven't taken it out to measure the depth, but hopefully it's pretty standard.)
Old 19 January 2018, 07:52 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one. Most Japanese cars have a fascia that goes over the radio, and most Japanese after market stereo's have removable outer bezels for that purpose. Alpine ones fit perfectly. You can see from his pictures, that the unit has a slight recesssed lip that matches, but the assumed depth of the fascia is a lot less than the Subaru one.

Hence his problems.

I use an ILX-700 and a hidden lightning cable to run Apple Car Play. Brings my 06 STi up to date. I have a reverse camera, (useless, don't bother it would be more use in the front bumper to check for kerbs) and will get a DVB if needed.

So, with the bezel removed you need a unit that fits inside that measured gaps and not like the one above that does not but has a lip that does, and clearly assumes a very thin cover fascia from the car.
Old 13 July 2018, 12:26 AM
maxmix
Scooby Newbie

Any updates to this guys ?

Same scenario, bought an Amazon double Din, made a lovely little plug and play loom up so my old cassette and CD an go back if I sell the car, but i'm afraid my unit no matter how I adjusted the brackets is sitting 10mm recessed behind the facia !

Is it best trimming round the facia ?

The unit and Sat nav, BT, Wifi etc is working great. Sound is pretty good and all for £99 delivered !

Any ideas ?

maxmix

PS If anyone wants a link to the unit and the £3 adaptor from ebay I soldered the loom up with LMK
Old 13 July 2018, 02:03 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes Max, can you provide links for the HU and looms, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13 July 2018, 05:49 PM
maxmix
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by joz8968
Yes Max, can you provide links for the HU and looms, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry been busy all day, all links and pics below, I'd been looking into cheap Chinese Android units for the past few weeks, not wanting to spend a fortune so bought the below for £99 Del via Prime

Sound quality, Wifi, BT, GPS for pre installed Sygic are very good for the price

Obv it's no Kenwood, JVC or Pioneer (Hence the few mill that will need to be shaved off my facia to bring the unit forward....)

My original Kenwood Tape and CD are still like new, so I'll likely put that back in when the car gets sold, I messaged a mate this morning and he's posting me a Facia for £15 as new, so this will be the one I shave round with the dremel when I get back next week, so all good so far.....

Any more questions just ask..... PS The little loom I made up connects pretty easily via soldering and shrink wrap tubing (neatest i've ever made lol)

I have a 2004 2.0l Impreza (Non Turbo) for the last couple of years.....

Amazon Amazon

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...72.m2749.l2649

Cheers

maxmix