ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

ice install

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2018, 04:20 AM
stuvette
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ice install

Hi is there anyone around Rushden Northampton area who could advise or help install a decent ice set up I know the basics but when it gets to amps I know I will struggle???
Old 12 December 2018, 09:08 AM
hackisfun
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can give you a good company to contact for telephone advise

Audio Advise NI 028 3833 6361

They have been in the car audio sector for 20 years and have done some serious custom builds over the years.

Here's some of the northern Ireland builds they have done over the years
MTX Renault 19 Build from 2007 http://2004.mtxaudio.eu/spip.php?article966
Ford Fiesta http://2004.mtxaudio.eu/spip.php?article1289
VW Caddy http://2004.mtxaudio.eu/spip.php?article1287
Ford Fiesta Zetec http://2004.mtxaudio.eu/spip.php?article946
Old 12 December 2018, 11:54 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

What exact equipment do you have and what system are you trying to build?
Old 13 December 2018, 02:56 AM
stuvette
Scooby Newbie

sorry in the delay in coming back to you im on night shifts all I have at the moment is some 6.5 3 way Kenwood front speakers I have a Sony double din head unit I will be fitting some 5.25 2 way JBLs in the rear doors an a s gift I have some 6.9 boxed vibe speakers to sit on the top of the parcel shelf look really nice not sure weather to use them yet now to the tech stuff sorry this is where I come a little unstuck all im after is a bit more bass and better sound quality I was going to connect straight to the head but at the moment the fronts are connected to the original harness plug I do not have the rears yet there on the way, please can you point me out what amp to use to run all six if that's the way or not or do you think straight from the head unit. Im not really sure about the Kenwood's they sound ok but I think if they were powered by an amp they would sound a lot better, please give me your opinion as im a bit of a novice when wiring in an amp I can do the rest just the wiring to the amp and head unit im not sure

thanks

stuart
Old 13 December 2018, 11:50 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Are the Kenwood speakes co-axial (a single speaker each) or components (multiple speakers)?
Old 13 December 2018, 01:28 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

If you want it to sound loud, then lots of speakers and amps. If you want it to sound good, then less is more.

The ideal minimum basic setup for a good sounding system are 6.5" component speakers (mids in the doors, tweeters on the A-pillar/dash) and a 10/12" sub in the boot (or an underseat subwoofer if you prefer) and 1 or 2 amps to run it all. Sticking more speakers in the back just complicates everything and won't add anything other than volume.

You can fit all your speakers and use a big 6/channel amp or a 4/channel & the HU or multiple amps or any combination of those but you'll have no appreciable bass and no easy way of controlling the frequency/volume or imaging.

Personally, I'd sell everything and start again. I appreciate that may not be such a straightforward option. And obviously depends how much you want to spend. But as I say, there is a minimum requiremeent to meet, otherwise you are just throwing money away. You can do it in stages though. 6.5" components first. Don't skimp on install (soundproof doors, proper speakers rings etc) powered from the HU. Then you can add an amp when funds allow and finally a sub. Wiring amps is straightforward enough but you need to match them properly to your system/speakers and plan ahead for any expansion. So amp choice is critical and that will dictate the wiring/fuses/loaction etc.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 13 December 2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 14 December 2018, 03:37 AM
stuvette
Scooby Newbie

the kenwoods are a single speaker I know I should have gone components!
Old 14 December 2018, 07:25 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

It's an easy novice mistake. No different to when people go out and buy a load of engine bolt on and ask how to fit it all to get x bhp, only to be told they've bought all the wrong stuff and it won't achieve what they want.

It's not a complete loss although I would seriously consider selling/aborting the rear and shelf speakers. Fit the front and concentrate on a decent, considered install (this is absolutely vital) and run them from your HU.

If you are happy how it sounds, all good. If not, you can save up for components. You've already prepped the door so that is an easy swap. Still not happy, save up for an amp. Then finally a sub. You can save a lot of money by buying second hand, especially amps.

The important thing is to understand what you ultimately want so that you don't by stuff that does not allow you the headroom to expand. No different from modding an engine or building a PC etc.
Old 15 December 2018, 12:09 AM
stuvette
Scooby Newbie

thank you Technopug sounds advice! no you have a link for the rca cables to connect the front speakers to the head unit obviously I will have to spade fit the speaker end? I wasn't sure which ones to get as they have plugs both ends sorry to sound stupid but I guess the plug end in to the head then is it 2 core to the speakers?

Last edited by stuvette; 15 December 2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 16 December 2018, 07:11 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

RCA cables are used to connect HU to amps and other similar equipment. Speaker wire to connect speakers to amps. I'd avoid using spade connectors wherever possible - they have a habit of coming off. You'll probably have to with the speakers though unless you want to solder them on.