Notices

Two subaru engines failed in 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2013, 12:15 PM
Wig
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,went to jct motors in Rotherham after hearing good feedback, so I drove 170 miles to jct he had some mint lookin cars there although they are top prices I wanted a good one,so I took home a wrx wagon got home all fine started car up next morning and it sounded like it was a diesel,found out it was piston slap,so after a bit of arguing with Jason as he was telling me that's how they sound,and my cuz has a wrx and it didnt sound like that from cold start, I decided to take the car back to him another 170 mile treck,we let car cool down after the journey and the engine sounded terrible ,it was nocking so I ended up paying more money for another wrx with 42k miles mint car engine sounded great so took car home, all was fine till last weekend after alot of research I decided to go for a remap as standered power was boring 227 bhp I believe but not sure,so I had Simon jolly green monster to remap my car, as we were uploading the map I nearly turned my ecu into a brick, we drove of and my engine management light was on so we loaded the map back on and he made his adjustments and was happy job dun. next day my car spun a bearing after a trip to castle Combe, I didn't go on track but had a little blast on way up nothing to serious, all thou I did hit the limiter once only by accident as I couldn't hear my revs as my friend has a ctr with a buddy club lol my car was ticking when I got to coumbe, then I drove home and heared the nocking, rang jct as I've only had car 2 months and 3 week, I didn't have a warranty well not a proper one he only gives a month ,and if you have a problem with the car he will fix it if its within a month which I was not really happy with as I've seen other trader give a year warranty or more , but hay I weren't expecting to go threw two cars this quick with such low miles, tried speaking to jolly green monster for advice but he doesn't seem to want to help allot really,I offered Jason at jct 2000 cash and his car back for a ctr 2005 with 90 k miles as I've had enuf of subarus ,I've got no trust in them but he didnt want to no, and I can pic up a nice ctr 2005 for just over 3 grand private ,so I didn't see point In Offering any more money. my subaru was up for 5900 on a 2004 I no i could have got one allot cheaper he did take money of the car but it was still expensive for a 2004,but like I said I didn't mind paying a bit extra for a tidy one , I've got a ctr with 135 k had it two years no issues, I had the car cheap private ,I can't believe how these low mileage subarus have both blown in such a short time, could just be my luck not blaming no one but myself ,as I should no better and went and got a private car for alot less, than taking the dealer finnance route as I'm stuck with car, after doing some research I'm going to have another engine fitted by national engine centre cardiff for 1400 pound with a years warranty ,as the rest of the people I've spoke to want what the cars worth to rebuild and don't offer a warranty only thing I keep thinking is that it won't be the end of my problems both cars were serviced by jct I asked what oil he said 5 40 semisynthetic didnt say a brand , jolly did say its probably cheap crap and didn't prime engine ,but I don't no and never will no why my two cars have detonated. maybe subarus are week ,maybe bad luck ,but I do whish I went for another ctr at the moment .

Last edited by Wig; 23 September 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 22 September 2013, 12:29 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

and Breath
Old 22 September 2013, 12:31 PM
G4rfo
Scooby Regular

get it rebuild m8 it wont blow then be strong as arnie
Old 22 September 2013, 12:57 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the longest single sentence in the history of Scoobynet!
Lots of factors come in to it when it comes to engine failure. I'm not saying this applies to you but most of them can be classified as 'self inflicted' You have no idea of the previous history of the car so it's always a bit of a lottery.
A couple of pointers:- 5/40 oils are almost exclusively full synthetic so when the dealer said semi-synthetic, I would take it that he has little or no clue.
What was the oil level?
Everything was fine after leaving JGM for mapping so there's little he can do to help you out on something that happened at a later date.
Can you explain what you mean by "nearly turned my ECU into a brick"

JohnD
Old 22 September 2013, 01:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can someone re-post it with punctuation?
can't be bothered to slog through it....
Old 22 September 2013, 01:14 PM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Can someone re-post it with punctuation?
can't be bothered to slog through it....
Short version = why did I blow up two engines?..........
Old 22 September 2013, 01:24 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Maybe you didn't let them breathe!
Old 22 September 2013, 01:34 PM
Wig
BANNED

Yes I no it's long and yes I no I didn't use my full stops engine oil was allways spot on I nearly turned ecu into a brick because he said turn ignition on so I turned two clicks then back to one click while map was being loaded I no it's not jgm fault the car spun a bearing next day but I only wanted to no if he new a garrage to repair I could rebuild all forged for four grand but whats the point when I hear of cars still detonating not long after a rebuild by good tuners . I just think that the subarus are weak loads of spun bearing on the forums funny my ctr 135 k I cane it and it just keeps going give the subaru a bit and engine goes I will be scared to put my foot down when it comes back
Old 22 September 2013, 01:36 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FFS, now we know why punctuation was invented
Old 22 September 2013, 01:41 PM
Wig
BANNED

Wow if ure all so concerned about punctuation I will go back threw and put you some full stops for ya jus how I tx
Old 22 September 2013, 01:46 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Subaru's arnt weak. you have no idea where these engines came from or how they've been treated in the past. If looked after properly there as reliable as any other
Old 22 September 2013, 01:51 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

1.You've remapped a car and it went pop.

2.You've admitted to hitting the rev limiter.

3.You've admitted to giving it a bit of a thrashing.

4.You still think JCT should do a deal with you after admitting all the above?

You bought a 9 year old performance car that WILL have been thrashed to within or close to an inch of it's life by at least one owner, it's what people buy them for. I pretty sure Jason will read this forum and will now have seen this thread. It's unfortunate but this is tuning.
Old 22 September 2013, 01:53 PM
Wig
BANNED

Yep really reliable, one 60k one 42k full history, totally standard, never been modified all my friends have got civics some with high miles that rag them on the ring with no issues.
Old 22 September 2013, 01:58 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

mate i hammer my engine on occasion but i keep on top of the maintenance and check levels pretty much weekly, i don't see how you can say they're weak engines youve either a; been ripped off
b; had a problem that you haven't sorted
c; your majorly unlucky
Old 22 September 2013, 01:58 PM
Wig
BANNED

I couldn't care if he reads it yes I hit limiter yes I took it to 260 bhp ish with a remap when people say there good for 400 bhp on standard internals I hit the limiter all day long in my civic that's what it's there for very disappointed in subaru crap performance crap reliability
Old 22 September 2013, 02:02 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wig
Yep really reliable, one 60k one 42k full history, totally standard, never been modified all my friends have got civics some with high miles that rag them on the ring with no issues.
And ive got one with 109k on the clock. Moddified at 30k. Been running 400hp for a fair while. Also done many laps of the ring,tracked,competed in sprints and hard road use. Hows that unreliable?
Old 22 September 2013, 02:02 PM
Wig
BANNED

And by the way my civics 12 years old wheres most subaru at 12 year old either gone threw a couple a engines or in the bone yard they dnt even make them no more bad sales and emissions ,yea and ringland failures no wonder they stoped making them never again can't wait to get rid
Old 22 September 2013, 02:04 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

mines a old 1999 and still going strong 110k
Old 22 September 2013, 02:06 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

the sweet spot on the honda is high revving vtec ? non turbo .... from the sounds of it you have a td04 theres no point in going over 5.5k revs as your has strated dropping off??
Old 22 September 2013, 02:08 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

im on original engine
and modded
Old 22 September 2013, 02:10 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wig
I couldn't care if he reads it yes I hit limiter yes I took it to 260 bhp ish with a remap when people say there good for 400 bhp on standard internals I hit the limiter all day long in my civic that's what it's there for very disappointed in subaru crap performance crap reliability
Sorry if you think thats what the limiter is for then you have no idea how an engine works, when to change gear to keep the engine within the max torque area of the rev range and no idea about mechanical sympathy. It appears from that one comment that youve ragged them to death
Old 22 September 2013, 02:12 PM
Wig
BANNED

Yea I hear of wrx that run big bhp figures and are reliable but I no one freind on his 3rd engine and a couple more that have detonated, funny thou never heared of a ep3 detonating and my friends rag them about all day I will keep you updated after I get my new engine lets see how many engines I go threw I didn't even rag it long or hard not compared to how I drive the ep3 and I couldn't care if Jason see this no offense he's ok but I'm not going to buy another of him after two have gone in 3 months
Old 22 September 2013, 02:14 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Sorry if you think thats what the limiter is for then you have no idea how an engine works, when to change gear to keep the engine within the max torque area of the rev range and no idea about mechanical sympathy. It appears from that one comment that youve ragged them to death
Sorry but I beg to differ,
It is there to protect the engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rev_limiter
note the "Limiters prevent damage to an engine" under Usage.
Old 22 September 2013, 02:17 PM
Wig
BANNED

Ha ha ha ha I checked oil all time never went low hardly give it a bit .but hay I didn't buy It to go shoping , I hit limiter once by accident for a short time surely it can cope with that I warmed it up warmed it down I wasn't to heavy just the occasional blast I didn't realy bother much because power was boring I was waiting till remap and prob bigger turbo in future
Old 22 September 2013, 02:19 PM
Wig
BANNED

I no what the limiters for but when ure having a little blast with a vxr and a ep3 it wer hard to keep a eye on the revs
Old 22 September 2013, 02:20 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Sorry but I beg to differ,
It is there to protect the engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rev_limiter

note the "Limiters prevent damage to an engine" under Usage.
Yes but note my other comments about driving to the max. Hitting the limiter isnt at all nessasary. Its there as a safety device. Not to be used as a gear change warning
Old 22 September 2013, 02:25 PM
Wig
BANNED

Maybe the wrx should only rev to 5 k if the rest of the revs are useless and if you hit limiter once you detonate ha ha keep giving you're excuses but lets face it subaru are crap,sports cars lol I've seen diesel cars with more power
Old 22 September 2013, 02:28 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I dont need excuses. Mines just fine at 11 years old and plenty of power.
Old 22 September 2013, 02:35 PM
Wig
BANNED

My daughter said to me other day I'm going over my friends she said her dads got a subaru I said ask him how many engines has he had joking, she came back said he's had 3 says it all to me
Old 22 September 2013, 02:38 PM
Wig
BANNED

Whish I could have limiter set for 5 k coz I will not go past that again can't cope with it they can't check the amount of spun bearings on you tube and the forums Nasty scooby poos

Quick Reply: Two subaru engines failed in 3 months