Notices

2.1 stroker vs forged 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2013, 05:29 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default 2.1 stroker vs forged 2.0

what are the pro's/cons of both of these please? i want to run around 450bhp with quick-ish spool for a fast everyday road car but unsure which way to go
Old 01 July 2013, 05:59 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

2.1 all day long. If you are building a forged engine anyway then there is no real difference in cost and the 2.1 spools better/ has more torque and still revs the same.
Old 01 July 2013, 06:04 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
2.1 all day long. If you are building a forged engine anyway then there is no real difference in cost and the 2.1 spools better/ has more torque and still revs the same.
+1.SJ.
Old 01 July 2013, 06:19 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
+1.SJ.
so other than having longer rods/different crank what other differences is there? what other work would be required to drop a stroker kit into a scdb thats going to be fitted with avcs heads?
Old 01 July 2013, 06:32 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe rods are the same, its the ej257 crank and bigger pistons which do it.
Costs are more if you have to machine the block and then bear in mind the price of the crank too on top of that.
2.1 is the way to go with what you want, will spool up a bit quicker than a 2.0 and should be slightly more torquey
Old 01 July 2013, 06:51 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
I believe rods are the same, its the ej257 crank and bigger pistons which do it.
Costs are more if you have to machine the block and then bear in mind the price of the crank too on top of that.
2.1 is the way to go with what you want, will spool up a bit quicker than a 2.0 and should be slightly more torquey
+1 againSJ.
Old 01 July 2013, 06:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep it's the best part of a grand extra to go 2.1, not just because of the crank and machining but because if your going in that direction you may as well spend the extra to get the real benefits which are being able to hit 650 bhp, so that also means CDB and a few more expensive ancillaries.

To be honest if your target is 450 bhp and your sure you will be happy with that then there is a fair few quid to be saved by opting for a WRX block and standard crank as well as the 2.0L pistons and that's before you start talking about all the little bits and bobs that end up costing a fair whack when all added up.

2.1 is a bit of "the thing of the moment", as with many things and unless your really committed to keeping the car and taking it to the next level then the reality is it's probably a waste of money for the difference it will make to the car.

I say this because I have seen sooooooooooo many burst the bank balance or more likely batter their credit card to go 2.1 only to sell the car at a BIG loss a few months later, probably to pay off crippling credit card or loan charges.

I'm in no way suggesting that this is what you are doing, but it's worth considering exactly what it is you plan on doing with the car in the future and if it is purely for the road then 450bhp with a 2.0L is ample and 2.1 is a tad over kill and expensive.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 01 July 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01 July 2013, 06:57 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe we've built more 2.1 strokers than anyone else.
There are of course a number of ways of going about building a 2.1 stroker and we've tried them all.
They all start with a 79mm crank, you then have the option of running stock length rods with a stroker piston (Mahle or Cosworth pistons both suit this application), 1mm longer rods with various manufacturers pistons or even a 1mm shorter rod version.
As I said we've tried them all and there is little to choose between them when they're built, that said our favourite combo is to use Mahle pistons and K1 or Cosworth heavy duty rods, dependant on budget of course.
Old 01 July 2013, 07:04 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Just to add there are other ways of achieving better spool, rotated turbo, reverse inlet, and billet turbo's as well as less top end power and a smaller turbo, all of which can mean that in the real world your car is quicker where it counts than a car that is maybe running significantly more power, which will only come into play once your WELL into triple figures.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 01 July 2013, 07:25 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Surely if it's a fast everyday road car, a 2.5 should be up there with your options??
Old 01 July 2013, 07:28 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

right cheers for all the input lads,much appreciated.

i thought the rods were longer? to be honest im never going to build a 600bhp monster and im never going to track the car i just want the safety of a forged build with the scope for 500bhp should i choose to but more than likely wont be going that high,i want it to be able to take a bit of abuse but i dont really give my cars a really hard time and very rare that i go into 100+mph

if a forged 2.0 will be ok to handle between 400-500bhp without hassle then i see no need to go stroker

also if i decide not to use the avcs heads could i use a set of v5/v6 sti heads to get that sort of power-obviously they will need re-freshing
Old 01 July 2013, 07:37 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Surely if it's a fast everyday road car, a 2.5 should be up there with your options??
wouldnt trust it matey,heard horror stories of them
Old 01 July 2013, 07:47 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta

wouldnt trust it matey,heard horror stories of them
Iirc dazdavies 2.5 ran 500bhp?
Old 01 July 2013, 07:51 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

2.1L is best combination like for track or fast road car,just due extra 100cc you will have better spool up and higher torque figures than 2.0L

Its worth extra pay for 2.1L,difference is only in crank and pistons which you will need purchase extra above 2.0L spec

But still when you will be going with forged 2.0L you will need to buy new crank,I wouldn't use old crank on my build,stroker pistons not more expensive than 2.0L,they cost similar money

In my view its worth and its not the waste of money,2.1L have good resale value when good parts are used,if its build on budget,not sure

Speak with yours builder first and then decide like we are spoke first with our builder and then decide

You don't need to buy CDB when you are want keep under 500,SCBD or OBD will be strong enough for yours needs

Jura
Old 01 July 2013, 07:55 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

so other than having longer rods/different crank what other differences is there? what other work would be required to drop a stroker kit into a scdb thats going to be fitted with avcs heads?
You will need stroker pistons(Wiseco/Mahle or Cosworth),rods depends on the spec and crank EJ257

Other bits are same as 2.0L,HG depends on more factors and usually are last to order

2.1L is best combination for fast road car and with with right heads/cams you should have great car

We have previously 2.1L and must admit awesome combo if you are looking for fast road car

Jura
Old 01 July 2013, 08:00 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
You will need stroker pistons(Wiseco/Mahle or Cosworth),rods depends on the spec and crank EJ257

Other bits are same as 2.0L,HG depends on more factors and usually are last to order

2.1L is best combination for fast road car and with with right heads/cams you should have great car

We have previously 2.1L and must admit awesome combo if you are looking for fast road car

Jura
cheers jura,what about heads? can i use version 5/6 heads and get 400bhp+
Old 01 July 2013, 08:03 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

cheers jura,what about heads? can i use version 5/6 heads and get 400bhp+
Yes you can use V6 heads on yours and should be great on yours, I'm pretty sure Wiley running on his 2.1L V6 heads

Jura
Old 01 July 2013, 08:04 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Yes you can use V6 heads on yours and should be great on yours, I'm pretty sure Wiley running on his 2.1L V6 heads

Jura
aahhh good stuff,might go the avcs route but unsure yet as its more expense
Old 01 July 2013, 08:07 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

aahhh good stuff,might go the avcs route but unsure yet as its more expense
Not sure how much cost V6 heads,but AVCS cost from £300 above and if they worth extra over V6 I would say yes

AVCS on yours,you will need JDM WRX ECU which can control AVCS or if its budget Aftermarket ECU

Jura
Old 01 July 2013, 08:11 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwik
Iirc dazdavies 2.5 ran 500bhp?
For some reason I thought Daz's was 600bhp either way I know it was a bloody lot! Then you've got Frayz his is something like 570 I think.

Both these examples are crazy power. I have to agree there are other ways of making it a quick car than having high headline figures.
I agree the 2.5 needs a little bit of work, minimum a set of pistons. Out of curiosity what is the cost of a new 2.5 short block these days??

Joe
Old 01 July 2013, 08:29 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I think you can pick up a 2.5 block for circa £100, much like the WRX block both of which are perfectly adequate for the op's requirements.

All I'd say to the op is if your on a budget or you just don't want to spend stupid money, (like me) then it's worth looking at other options to arrive at your end goal.
Old 01 July 2013, 08:33 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

you have just put a newage sti engine in.
this will take 450bhp without any need to do anything.
if your only after 450bhp your just wasting your money speccing it up with stuff you don't need
Old 01 July 2013, 08:34 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I think you can pick up a 2.5 block for circa £100, much like the WRX block both of which are perfectly adequate for the op's requirements.

All I'd say to the op is if your on a budget or you just don't want to spend stupid money, (like me) then it's worth looking at other options to arrive at your end goal.
well i have a spare scdb (bottom end knocking) i dont see the point in buying another block when this one will do,i plan to buy most or the parts from real street performance in america to save alot of money,i had a quote for

new ej205 crank
cp forged pistons
manley H-beam rods
acl rod bearings race series
acl main bearings race series
cosworth headgaskets

the whole lot including shipping was £1150
Old 01 July 2013, 08:35 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
you have just put a newage sti engine in.
this will take 450bhp without any need to do anything.
if your only after 450bhp your just wasting your money speccing it up with stuff you don't need
and i had a newage engine in before that let go at 354bhp................
Old 01 July 2013, 08:38 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

and i had a newage engine in before that let go at 354bhp................

but did you trace the fault??

its common knowledge the 2.0 newage engine will take 450bhp.

personally id just run the engine you have up to the bhp you require before spending big money to achieve something you already have under your bonnet.

i get why you want 450bhp as this is as much as you need on the roads without losing too much driveability so good choice bhp wise
Old 01 July 2013, 08:40 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

but did you trace the fault??

its common knowledge the 2.0 newage engine will take 450bhp.

personally id just run the engine you have up to the bhp you require before spending big money to achieve something you already have under your bonnet.

i get why you want 450bhp as this is as much as you need on the roads without losing too much driveability so good choice bhp wise
you can see why i have lost faith in used lumps tho,the original engine let go at 57k then the sti bottom end let go at 41k,this used lump i have now is on 75k
Old 01 July 2013, 08:43 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

you can see why i have lost faith in used lumps tho,the original engine let go at 57k then the sti bottom end let go at 41k,this used lump i have now is on 75k

i do understand mate, but you haven't found the fault that caused it.

there are plenty of 2.0 newage cars on here running mid 400's without issues.

so its a proven engine at that bhp.

its your money etc, but too me it looks as if your spending out 3k ish to build an engine to do the job the one you already have is capable of.

if the plan was 500bhp plus then i get it.
Old 01 July 2013, 08:48 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

i do understand mate, but you haven't found the fault that caused it.

there are plenty of 2.0 newage cars on here running mid 400's without issues.

so its a proven engine at that bhp.

its your money etc, but too me it looks as if your spending out 3k ish to build an engine to do the job the one you already have is capable of.

if the plan was 500bhp plus then i get it.
i have just lost faith in used lumps and i need the safety of a forged lump.i suspect oil pump failure on that engine
Old 01 July 2013, 08:51 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

i have just lost faith in used lumps and i need the safety of a forged lump.i suspect oil pump failure on that engine

fair enough, but oil pump failure will destroy any engine. forged or not.

an oil pressure gauge is an essential item when running a tuned impreza in my opinion.
Old 01 July 2013, 08:54 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

fair enough, but oil pump failure will destroy any engine. forged or not.

an oil pressure gauge is an essential item when running a tuned impreza in my opinion.
it might not be that but i cant really see why else it would fail.my new engine is running an 11mm modded oil pump so fingers crossed

i tell you what matey,i will tune my current engine to 450bhp as you say they will take it then if it goes bang you give me your car as a replacement..............deal?

i knew you had a heart

Quick Reply: 2.1 stroker vs forged 2.0