Notices

1998 impreza est speedo not working

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2013, 08:52 PM
Turboconnect
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 impreza est speedo not working

Have a 98 Estate, speedo not working and engine check light on, read quite a few forums and a multitude of options but thought I'd ask here and get the proper response!!!

Tacho works and everything else works fine apart from the clock, had clock set out thinking it was cable driven to then realise its electronic speedo so should this have a cable going into the back of the clocks as there isn't one there!

Had issues with central locking and electric windows but have since fixed them through posts on here, but really need to get the speedo sorted.

If someone could point a way, what to check or what to hit with a hammer, would be a great help!!!
Old 07 May 2013, 09:22 PM
Turboconnect
Scooby Newbie

Default Forgot to add

I've looked underneath and not 100% what I'm looking for with it being electric speedo, will there still be a cable???? If so where will it be and to where? Cheers in advance.
Old 07 May 2013, 11:10 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Think it's a electrical "Converter" in your year and model of scoob.

Isit a Uk spec or a import.

As theres a little black box with 2 wires coming out of it jut above your gearbox below the TMIC, that will probable be the "KPH to MPH" converter that your after.

To get a replacement on ebay is about £30.

Oh and welcome as well
Old 07 May 2013, 11:26 PM
Turboconnect
Scooby Newbie

I think its a UK model, I say think, It has MPH on clock. I shall check it out tomorrow while I'm at workshop and have a play about, had clocks n stuff out tonight and wedged myself up under dash to see if there was anything loose but nothing stood out at all. Will try that and let you know and thank you
Old 08 May 2013, 11:19 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the speed sensor on the gearbox, and any connections to it, and bewtween it and the speedo.

There is no cable as you know it, just wires.
Old 08 May 2013, 12:34 PM
Turboconnect
Scooby Newbie

ALCAZAR: would you happen to know the colours of the wires or blocks, just asking as there were a couple of blocks/connectors not connected to anything when i had the dash out last night. I just don't want to start connecting wrong things together if thats possible, found the sensor and that all appears intact. When I got the car the windows and doors didn't work, bloke said it didn't have central locking, so bought a kit and found out that it did after taking all the panels off, and the wiring loom in the footwell had corroded, fixed them but think it's just been messed about with (disconnect speedo lol) so was just wondering if someone knew which colour block it should be? Worth asking the question as you've helped me a few times on here.
Old 08 May 2013, 12:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the speed sensor wires are part of the main connections to the clocks, not separate.

Could have become disconnected at the gear box, chafed and split, or even corroded. That would be my first checks.
Old 08 May 2013, 01:53 PM
Turboconnect
Scooby Newbie

Found sensor on box, disconnected it and reconnected it, appears to look fine but its a bit of electrics at the end of the day? If I disconnect it and drive the car does this just operate the speedo, just trying to find anyway to see if its faulty before spending £50 on a new one to have the same fault really, any ideas? Thanks in advance Callum
Old 08 May 2013, 02:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I don't know if it feeds the ecu? It might put the car into limp mode.

Can you borrow a working one to see if it clears the problem? Then get one from a breaker?
Old 08 May 2013, 03:12 PM
Turboconnect
Scooby Newbie

If it goes into limp mode with it disconnected then re connecting will just take it back out won't it? It won't stay there or need re setting will it, worth a try because if it does then the cable is obviously working isn't it? so its maybe another issue and not this sensor. Sorry for the 101 questions and answers, just breakers yards etc up here have all but gone now and not sure anyone else around Stockton doing scooby bits off the shelf so don't want to render car useless for a few days as need it for work.
Old 08 May 2013, 04:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

How far are you from Darlington?

DLM motors in Darlington are HIGHLY recommended, Darren, who runs it, used to do all the physical work for Harvey (Smith).

Percy Road, off the Whessoe Road.
Old 08 May 2013, 05:11 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my speedo decided to pack in it was the sensor in the gearbox, it would work for a little bit in the morning when cold for a few mins and not reading the correct speed. after a few miles later the cel would come on and then the car was in limp mode. Turn it off and back on, the cel would be off and the car would drive as normal for a short while until the cel came back on and then limp mode.

I replaced the sensor and its been fine ever since. Is the odo still clocking up?
Old 08 May 2013, 06:38 PM
Turboconnect
Scooby Newbie

Yep all the clocks work, I've disconnected the cable from the sensor and drove up the road and back, no speedo, no limp mode. Re connected it back up, no speedo and no limp mode??? Bit confused as connected ot not it appears to make no difference at all. Could someone have tampered with the digital speedo at all (To show lower miles etc or for insurance reasons) Its on 120,000. I've seen some second hand clocks on ebay for £20 - £30 so I may just buy a set to see if it makes a difference, if it doesn't I can stick em back on can't I? Everything else on the clocks work, all the gauges and all the lights, and the Check Engine light coming on when it feels like it. Bit confused but any other avenues to go down would be great. ALCAZAR do you have Darrens telephone number at all? I'm about 10 mins drive from Darlo and know Whessoe road as used to work that way, regards Callum
Old 08 May 2013, 07:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

DLM Auto Services
(01325) 480678

18 Percy Road, Darlington, DL3 0RX

Google is your friend.