Clutch Judder

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2013, 11:56 AM
Huntyuk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Judder

Hi Guys,

my old clutch was slipping so bought a second hand clutch and had it fitted with the orginal flywheel staying on the car. Now the car judders quite alot when pulling of and when holding it on clutch on a hill for etc is almost impossible. now i know i should have bought a new one plus a new flywheel but been on abit of a budget lately so had to do it cheap. Will this bed in at all or will it gradually get worse? The clutch i had fitted still had plenty on it ?

Happens in reverse too - but when im moving cars fine, no slipping or performance issues

Thanks

Last edited by Huntyuk; 21 February 2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 21 February 2013, 12:08 PM
Orangio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't you buy a paddle clutch? They are supposed to be harsh clutches

I'm selling my exedy stage 1 pink box if you're gonna change it again lol
Old 21 February 2013, 12:20 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

Really you should have skimmed the fly although the secondhand clutch without the matching flywheel is going have worn differently anyway. The good news is that despite people telling you you should have skimmed it normally the problem is greatly improved after a few full bore starts which should see it start to bed in better. If it was a paddle clutch though that might not work so well and might give you neck ache
Old 21 February 2013, 01:02 PM
Huntyuk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty sure it is a paddle i didnt get an invoice and was in a different box when delivered. when i bought it off here i just seen clutch and 5spd haha certainly better than the last but cant put up with the constant juddering haha
Old 21 February 2013, 02:07 PM
ally123
Scooby Regular

you should be able to tell if it was a paddle clutch m8.instead of the clutch plate being circular it would have had paddle shaped bits instead.it does sound like the flywheel tho.you mite have cooked it with the last clutch slipping.
Old 21 February 2013, 02:12 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

If you didnt skim the flywheel that the cause of the judder simple as that ,full bore lauches wont fix that

Last edited by Baz82; 21 February 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 22 February 2013, 10:18 PM
Smithy60 WR1
Scooby Newbie

Hello.

The shuddering is because you have not prepped each surface before fitting. You do not need to skim the fly wheel, simply just use good emir cloth to sand the fly wheel to take out the heat spots and shine, after the fly wheel is roughened then clean with brake cleaner or electrical cleaner. You need to make sure the surface is not shiny and has a rough feel to it. With the clutch plate you need to clean that too before fitting one every time just in case there is any contaminant on it, use the same brake cleaner or electrical cleaner.

The judder/shudder is due to the surfaces not gripping as the should due to oils, heat spots, shine and grease.