Notices

Subaru Impreza WRX 07 Key/Fob - Cheapest option?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2012, 01:20 PM
Sambob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza WRX 07 Key/Fob - Cheapest option?

I've only got one key for my Impreza WRX 07 - The key is a single button remote type with 2 chips I have been told. The car has a factory fitted CAT 1 thatcham alarm/immob.

I have had quotes from Subaru dealer (£160!) and am waiting for a quote from a couple of local key places.

Can anyone give me some info/advice as to the cheapest solution to getting another remote fob? It doest necessarily have to be at one with the key as I can get the key itself cut reasonably cheap.

Many thanks,

Sam
Old 18 October 2012, 01:54 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Check your home/car insurance policy, sometimes they cover lost/stolen replacement keys.

We had one key to my wifes car never got round to getting a second one made (even though I'm sure it would cost an arm and a leg). We lost the single key in the house, phoned our home insurance company they sent a local company to re-programme to sets of original keys at no expense, nor was it known as insurance claim. I think at the time we were with quoteline direct, not many companys cover you for lost/stolen keys.

Good luck fella
Old 18 October 2012, 02:31 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Very much a long shot but try Timpsons. I have a seperate sigma fob with my bug and Timpsons will cut and code a key (not fob) but said the open/close would not function but would start the car (so would still need the seperate fob to open/close)
Not what you are looking for though as it sounds as though you just have a single key & not a key+fob.

The insurance idea above sounds like its worth a shot! :-)
Old 18 October 2012, 02:34 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

£160 seems a good price. Think I paid nearly £300 for a new key and fob for my 06 sti.
Old 19 October 2012, 11:08 AM
Sambob
Scooby Regular

Learned a bit from this as did a bit of ringing round before I came back to my thread....

My Key is 3 parts.

1) Physical cut key (opens doors, turns ignition)
2) Remote chip (unlocks/disarms)
3) Transponder chip (checks the remote is allowed to disarm the vehicle)

Its very difficult, almost impossible to get a brand new complete key uncut/un-programmed from anywhere except Subaru, and this is at least £120 from them.

It is possible to obtain a new uncut key and a blank transponder from a 3rd party, but its a brand new blank remote that is difficult to obtain from anywhere else but Subaru.

However, it is possible to buy second hand key (has to be exactly the same as existing key) and there is a guy I found on ebay (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/fobkeysbank/) who can re-code the used remote chip to my car, and then pair with newly cut key and coded transponder to my car, making a complete key.

The second hand keys go on ebay for around £20-£40. The cost of the new Key and transponder, including cutting & reprogramming of everything would be around £50-£80. So £70 cheapest £120 dearest

After all that I found that my insurer will cover my missing key at no cost/claim to me which has made things a bit easier.