Notices

Will a front mounted intercooler...

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2012, 09:10 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a front mounted intercooler...

Evening gents.

I have a 2002 WRX bugeye. I've been told fitting a front mounted intercooler to the car (in short) will blow it up???

Now I've been on the tuning scene for many a year. I'm just double DOUBLE checking this 'isn't' 100% correct. Cooling the inlet charge shouldnt have that much adverse effect at oem factory boost settings.

Ie the car drives fine now with intercooler temps at 14-22cc temps around town an motorway speeds. Fitting a front mount isn't worlds apart in temps. When it gets to winter. Why would the cooler inlet temps (roughly the same maybe a few degree lower, effect oem settings?) with a front mount in the UK be different to a top mount in Russia for example -40c temps. But still have no probs.

I have a cone filter an a back box. When I go full decat, it'll be gettin mapped. I don't drive like a loonattic All the time. I drive quite froogle most of the time. With the odd bit of enjoyment for 10 mins or so.

Opinions an views appreciated peeps. Cheers in advance

Last edited by scoobaru mad; 03 August 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03 August 2012, 09:19 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It gonna be laggy without a map tweak. Blow it up? Unlikely but possible.

I wouldnt bother with a front mount on the standard turbo. Youd be better of with an sti top mount in my opinion.

Your probably more at risk fitting the filter without a map as it could screw up the maf scalling leading to lean running

Last edited by Turbotits; 03 August 2012 at 09:21 PM.