Notices

standard dv any good??

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2012, 10:35 PM
Russell wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default standard dv any good??

I currently dont have a dv on my scoob and i would like to fit one. I want a recirculating one. Is it wise to get a after market one or should i get a standard one? I dont want to get a standard one if its going to leak boost when i get it remapped.
Also i plan on fitting a front mount at some point so is the one that will work with the standard current set up and can then be fitted to a fmic set up?

I have done a search but cant find what i want to know
Old 08 February 2012, 10:52 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

what car you got mate ?
Old 08 February 2012, 11:11 PM
Russell wrx
Scooby Regular

1995 wrx
Old 09 February 2012, 07:20 AM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Stick with ths standered dv just check its clean and you shouldn't have any problems, I had a bailys and was for ever sticking open .
Old 09 February 2012, 07:11 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Standard dump valve is as good as any aftermarket DV at doing the intended job. The only reason for fitting an aftermarket is if you like to hear the psch noises all the time or frighten old grannies at the bus stop.
Ensure your FMIC has a spiggot on it for the BOV connection and a silicon joiner for the BOV connection. You may have to size down to your existing DV diameter from the spiggot but that is easy enough.
Ensure you get tube and fin FMIC of quality. Ebay specials are usually crap.
Old 09 February 2012, 08:04 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey
Standard dump valve is as good as any aftermarket DV at doing the intended job. The only reason for fitting an aftermarket is if you like to hear the psch noises all the time or frighten old grannies at the bus stop.
Ensure your FMIC has a spiggot on it for the BOV connection and a silicon joiner for the BOV connection. You may have to size down to your existing DV diameter from the spiggot but that is easy enough.
Ensure you get tube and fin FMIC of quality. Ebay specials are usually crap.
Standard DV should at least be checked for leakage and not assume it's just ok if an owner is committed to achieving above average performance levels, certainly running anything above 1.45bar boost.
Trev
Old 09 February 2012, 08:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
Standard DV should at least be checked for leakage and not assume it's just ok if an owner is committed to achieving above average performance levels, certainly running anything above 1.45bar boost.
Trev
The above advice applies to ALL d/v's, surely?
Old 09 February 2012, 08:45 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Assuming the OEM DV is actually working as Harvey suggests, these can be more than up to the task for various levels of modification. Personally I hate vent to atmos DV's with a passion. They sound cheap, nasty and proper **** imo!

I still have the OEM one on mine with no issues, which is running a Hybrid FMIC and 450bhp.
Old 09 February 2012, 09:20 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

how can you tell if a dv is safe or not, I'm sure most are, mine wasn't. It's quite feasable for a dv to be leaking boost back into the inlet tract, boost is maintained but the turbo works much harder to achieve required boost.This is what happened on my car,I monitor turbo outlet temps and they were soaring. I fitted a turbosmart plumback recirculating dv and it was an absolute revelation, the turbo is now producing much less heat.
Trev
Old 09 February 2012, 09:40 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wastegate duty could be an indicator. EGT's may be another source of data. Speed sensor on the turbo yet another.
Old 09 February 2012, 09:59 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

my egt's have always been comparetively low, around 450-500deg c but thats post turbo and I understand pre turbo would be approx 150c higher but I run water/meth injection and meth in the fuel. I'm not aware of the other two indicators.
When I fitted the new dv the defi boost gauge hit 2bar immediately, normally reads 0.1 high at 1.7 bar.
Trev
Old 09 February 2012, 10:12 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So wastegate duty would of told you there was a problem..... assuming you knew the accepted duty for the type of turbo you run and power you have.

Who mapped your car?
Old 10 February 2012, 04:46 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Shaun;10479426]So wastegate duty would of told you there was a problem..... assuming you knew the accepted duty for the type of turbo you run and power you have.

Who mapped your car?[/QUOTE

I just understood my 321h turbo and tmic were on their limit but as it turned out they were good for another 40hp, (419.7hp) and at lower boost, this with a change from 10%meth to 20%meth, would have been more if my 650 injectors hadn't maxed at 434hp.
Trev
Old 10 February 2012, 10:04 PM
Russell wrx
Scooby Regular

i cant find any standard plastic dv's so what is a good quality recirculating dv?

cheers
Old 10 February 2012, 11:12 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Turbosmart work well.
Old 11 February 2012, 12:21 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There seems to be a misconception here. The dump valve does not work on pressure whether it is 1 bar or 2 bar, it actually works on pressure differential. That is what makes it release air.
I have never had complaints with Forge dump valves and Forge Technical Department can supply different springs for different applications but contrary to popular opinion I find that a softer setting usually works better than a very hard setting.
Recirc dump valves where a MAF is in use but for expedience VTA on non MAF systems ie. MAP.
Old 11 February 2012, 01:35 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
There seems to be a misconception here. The dump valve does not work on pressure whether it is 1 bar or 2 bar, it actually works on pressure differential. That is what makes it release air.
I have never had complaints with Forge dump valves and Forge Technical Department can supply different springs for different applications but contrary to popular opinion I find that a softer setting usually works better than a very hard setting.
Recirc dump valves where a MAF is in use but for expedience VTA on non MAF systems ie. MAP.
My Turbosmart even on the hard setting is much softer than the standard dv I took off.
Trev