Notices

Help STOLEN car key what to do now to protect the car

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2011, 09:35 PM
suzuki_STI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help STOLEN car key what to do now to protect the car

Hi, newbi here, hope I can find some answer here before I go ahead to waste time and money. Bought a newage STI few weeks ago, unfortunately got my set of spare car key stolen on a house burglary last night.

is there anything I could do to protect the car?, any chance of terminating access of the car from the stolen key?? car fitted with the standard cat 1 alarm by the way with a keypad...I am sleeping in my car until I find a solution please adivce..
Old 22 February 2011, 09:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing the keys/locks/barrel and alarm system is the only 100% way they wont get the car again, and fit a disclok, plus claim on your house insurance for the car keys, barrels etc.

Tony
Old 22 February 2011, 10:11 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

yeh, urance ur car keys were Taken in the Burgulary, but u still have the Car, you want the locks replaced Immediatly. They have access to 24hr locksmiths, however it's unlikely a locksmith will have subaru locks on board, but could at least get them to have the locks replaced on the car tomorrow.

If they say they cannot get it sorted that Quick, Tell them if your car gets stolen then you will be holding them responsible and claiming from them.
Old 22 February 2011, 10:17 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Until you can get some new keys etc. you could leave the car in "super lock" mode so that the alarm goes off when a door is opened. Can only be turned off by PIN code on the keypad.
Old 22 February 2011, 10:24 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

remove battery, disconnect HT/Coil wires.
leave it like that till you get your locks changed.
if they do try to steal it, chances r they wont have a spare battery, n wont lift the bonnet to find out why it dont start. if they do and realise the battery is gone, and come back another night with a spare battery, it will be dark n they r unlikely to spot the disconneted wiring
Old 22 February 2011, 10:25 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

can you move the car to a secure different location so you can get the locks swapped over the next couple of days via insurance ?? secure compound ??
Old 22 February 2011, 10:53 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Remove the wheels and put it on axle stands, doubt they would get the car very far without wheels
Old 22 February 2011, 11:00 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Take it to the local police station, park it there until you get the locks changed. Explain to them the situation, should be pretty safe there with cctv etc.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:00 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move car to a friends relations, preferably garaged and get the locks changed via your house insurance asap
Old 22 February 2011, 11:05 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

just unplug the ecu or remove it altogether
Old 22 February 2011, 11:17 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove the crank or cam sensor...
Old 22 February 2011, 11:28 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

why not just change the pin on the alarm,

as u only have one key it will render the responder in the other key useless as it wont have the new pin,
Old 22 February 2011, 11:38 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

The Code in the Alarm for the transponder will need to be re-programed by Subaru via the Select Monitor, as the Subaru alarm only accepts one Code, then one of the keys has Been Ghosted so both keys share the same transponder.

I learned this when I lost a set of keys for my 98 Sport..

Sure that's an option but that does Not stop the ******* coming back, using the key to get in and rob Hifi etc.
Sure the alarm may go off, but that only distracts them. if they fail first attempt the could be back prepared, and the siren Silenced within Seconds.

Much Safer to Change the Entire Locks.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:43 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

removed incase people dont like the info posted,
have pm'd the op with the info

Last edited by Tomwrx; 23 February 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:47 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The M@trix
The Code in the Alarm for the transponder will need to be re-programed by Subaru via the Select Monitor, as the Subaru alarm only accepts one Code, then one of the keys has Been Ghosted so both keys share the same transponder.

I learned this when I lost a set of keys for my 98 Sport..

Sure that's an option but that does Not stop the ******* coming back, using the key to get in and rob Hifi etc.
Sure the alarm may go off, but that only distracts them. if they fail first attempt the could be back prepared, and the siren Silenced within Seconds.

Much Safer to Change the Entire Locks.
very true mate but once the turn the locks its goin to alert people when the alarm sounds,plus they wont be able to move it which is the biggest concern after losing keys,
Old 22 February 2011, 11:51 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

9 Turn on super-lock for next set period (allows the alarm to arm, but then shuts down the
receiver. This reduces the systems current consumption if the vehicle is left for a number of
weeks. The system then can only be disarmed using your PIN number , this gives protection
even if your keys are stolen, whilst you are away on holiday.

Yes, that will be able to stop the Remote function of the Key.........>

But what about Putting the Key in the LOCK. turn and open... that still works, giving access to anything left in the Car.. Stereo CD's etc etc.

The key also has a Transponder chip, which is coded into the Car's ECU.. this is used to Immobolise the Car via the ECU, as well as the Sigma's Immoboliser.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:55 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

I had a Cavalier GSI stolen from my Driveway, they got past the Alarm, by opening the Bonnet, and filling the Siren with Expanding Foam. One of my neighbours watched them do it and never called the police for fear of any re-procussions.
they then pushed the car off the drive and down the road.

when it was recovered the next day by the police, the car had been Stripped I had to remove some wires they left bypassing the Clifford Concept 650.....

So... I still Stress Lock Change is a Must.

The neighbour told us she was watching them before they got in the car, the alarm was sounding for seconds. before it went quiet.

Last edited by Broxi; 22 February 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 22 February 2011, 11:57 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

but if u lost ure keys u would empty everything out the car until the locks are changed,
the op wanted to know what he could do to stop his car being taken since his keys have been stolen, as above once he does whats highlighted then the car wont move,
same as removing all the things in other posts it wont stop them stealing anything left in the car but will stop it going missing altogether,
Old 22 February 2011, 11:58 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The M@trix
I had a Cavalier GSI stolen from my Driveway, they got past the Alarm, by opening the Bonnet, and filling the Siren with Expanding Foam. One of my neighbours watched them do it and never called the police for fear of any re-procussions.
they then pushed the car off the drive and down the road.

when it was recovered the next day by the police, the car had been Stripped I had to remove some wires they left bypassing the Clifford Concept 650.....

So... I still Stress Lock Change is a Must.

The neighbour told us she was watching them before they got in the car, the alarm was sounding for seconds. before it went quiet.
what ****ty neighbours u have/had, hope nothing like that happens to there cars,
Old 23 February 2011, 12:31 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Hope you get sorted soon mate
Old 23 February 2011, 02:29 AM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tomwrx
The Sigma M30 alarm system has many more features than you may be aware of. The standard Subaru
fitted system has the majority of these features switched off for simplicity and to conform to European
legislation. Just to let you know what can be done……..

User Features
The following features are switch able by the end user, using the keypad, and are detailed in the back of your
operating instructions.

To access this mode - turn on the vehicle ignition, press the remote button once, type one of the numbers
listed in the chart below, immediately turn off the ignition. The numbers will have the following effect:
Number Function
0 Last trigger isolation - allows the system to be set excluding any circuit giving a trigger signal
at the end of the settle time (i.e. allows the system to be set with a defective bonnet switch,
without “false alarming” until the switch can be replaced)
1 Turns off the bleeps only for the next time the system is armed (If bleeps turned on!)
2 Turn off ultrasonics only for the next time the system is armed (also possible by pressing the
Remote Key with the ignition on before arming)
3 Puts the system into valet mode (effectively freezing the passive immobilisation and any
other features such as auto arm when the vehicle goes in for service. System re-activated by
arming with the remote key).
4 Turn on auto-lock (an anti-hijack feature that locks the doors and boot when the ignition is
turned on)
5 Turn off auto-lock
6 Turn off bleeps every time system is armed or disarmed
(Turned off at manufacture to comply with legislation)
7 Turn on bleeps every time system is armed or disarmed
( Note: This will contravene current legislation)
8 Displays vehicle’s battery voltage – 10 flashes on dashboard LED = approximately 10 volts
9 Turn on super-lock for next set period (allows the alarm to arm, but then shuts down the
receiver. This reduces the systems current consumption if the vehicle is left for a number of
weeks. The system then can only be disarmed using your PIN number , this gives protection
even if your keys are stolen, whilst you are away on holiday.
* Toggles between loud and soft arming/disarming bleeps if selected ( See above note in 7)
Programming a New PIN Code:
The standard PIN code can be changed following the sequence below:
i) Type in to the keypad **
ii) Type in to the keypad the “existing PIN code” then *
iii) Type in to the keypad 92 * “new PIN code” * “new PIN code” #
Programming Remote Keys to the System:
Remote keys can be added or removed to/from the system following the sequence below:
i) Type in to the keypad **
ii) Type in to the keypad the “existing PIN code” then *
iii) Type in to the keypad 91 * “ the number of keys to be used” #
iv) Press the first remote key button until bleep sounds, release and press next key. Continue until all
keys have been taught to the system. Note the maximum number of keys is 4 and all keys required
to operate the system must be taught during this operation - any key not included will no longer
operate the system
Hmmmmm not sure this should be posted on here really!!!!!
Old 23 February 2011, 06:56 AM
suzuki_STI
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the advice. I will do what most of you recommend, by moving it to a secured underground carpark before the lock is change.

Will contact my home insurance see if they willing to sort out the problem. I did mention this roughly tho yesterday, they said I will have to contact my car insurance. BTW even they would change locks what about my security system?

By using the key disable function recommended by Tomwrx means I could disable the stolen key then?
Old 23 February 2011, 10:27 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

mike this can be found easily on the net

but if people would rather it was taken down then i will remove it no probs.

suzuki - i will send u the info in a pm
Old 23 February 2011, 11:01 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suzuki_STI

By using the key disable function recommended by Tomwrx means I could disable the stolen key then?
That would only disable the remote lock/unlock function. The key would still work in the door lock and still start the engine.

If you got a new key and had them programmed into the immobiliser ECU then that would mean that your stolen key would unlock the car but not start the engine.
Old 23 February 2011, 11:42 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
That would only disable the remote lock/unlock function. The key would still work in the door lock and still start the engine.

If you got a new key and had them programmed into the immobiliser ECU then that would mean that your stolen key would unlock the car but not start the engine.
yes they can use the key to gain access via the lock but if u read section 9 it tells u that The system then can only be disarmed using your PIN number.
so change the pin the car wont move as the other transpoder in the key wont have the same pin programmed into it ,simples

if in doubt please try it on ure own car,
Old 23 February 2011, 01:55 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tomwrx
yes they can use the key to gain access via the lock but if u read section 9 it tells u that The system then can only be disarmed using your PIN number.
so change the pin the car wont move as the other transpoder in the key wont have the same pin programmed into it ,simples

if in doubt please try it on ure own car,
Yes that is correct providing the "super lock" mode 9 has been enabled. Then the system can only be diarmed via the PIN. Changing the PIN will not have any effect on the keys though, it only has effect on the alarm system config.

Ive changed my PIN a number of times and gone through the process of having a new key programmed to the immobiliser ECU and programming the fob button into the alarm ( two seperate processes/systems ).
Old 23 February 2011, 02:07 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikej857
Hmmmmm not sure this should be posted on here really!!!!!
This info is on Scoobypedia and echoed over this site hundreds of times.
It was discussed less than two days ago.
Its not like it will help a thief.
Old 24 February 2011, 08:15 AM
suzuki_STI
Scooby Newbie

just got a confirmation from my home insurance, they won't cover the cost of my lock and alarm system, now my car insurance will only payout 100 for good will gesture...
Old 24 February 2011, 09:16 AM
Nutzz
Scooby Regular

If you re-pair your exsisting key to the alarm system it should knock out the stolen key, change the alarm PIN number and disconnect the mech locks until you can get them changed.

This will mean only the alarm can lock/unlock and not the key.
Old 24 February 2011, 09:57 AM
suzuki_STI
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Nutzz
If you re-pair your exsisting key to the alarm system it should knock out the stolen key, change the alarm PIN number and disconnect the mech locks until you can get them changed.

This will mean only the alarm can lock/unlock and not the key.
Ok.. what would the change of alarm PIN do to secure the car? also how difficult is it to disconnect the mech locks? thanks

Quick Reply: Help STOLEN car key what to do now to protect the car